Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    When using either in sheet form does one quilt the material or just sew along the edges? Is there any problem with the material shifting around or coming apart inside a quilt? Am I safe assuming it wold make a good TQ as well? Its probably been covered in other posts but what are some current Climashield and Primaloft sources?
    You can perimeter sew and be fine, but adding some quilting loops would be preferable. They're both great for underquilts and top quilts.

Climashield: Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics

Primaloft: Quest Outfitters
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I will begin construction of a Primaloft TQ and UQ. I'll let you know how it goes down.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    You can perimeter sew and be fine, but adding some quilting loops would be preferable. They're both great for underquilts and top quilts.
    OK, need a little bit of help here...can you describe or point me to a description of quilting loops? Google gets me quilting hoops and I know thats not what we're talking about here...

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    OK, need a little bit of help here...can you describe or point me to a description of quilting loops? Google gets me quilting hoops and I know thats not what we're talking about here...
    I know, I had a hard time figuring out what everyone was talking about on this one too when I started out. It's basically just a sew-through (by hand, not on a machine) on all the layers, but not tight (such that it would negate the loft of the insulation). It's only there to keep the insulation from shifting around too much withing the shell material.

Cut some cardboard strips to the height of your insulation material thickness to use as a guide. Sew a loop by starting on the side your cardboard will be held on, through all the layers, and back up through all layers, doesn't need to be wide at all, maybe 1/8-3/16". Tie off over your cardboard, then remove the cardboard (this just keeps the loop sized so it won't squish the insulation).

I hope that makes sense. I think I need to add that to the DIY Guide Illustration I'm working on for Climashield quilts. Thanks for bringing it up.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    When using either in sheet form does one quilt the material or just sew along the edges? Is there any problem with the material shifting around or coming apart inside a quilt? Am I safe assuming it wold make a good TQ as well? Its probably been covered in other posts but what are some current Climashield and Primaloft sources?
    In general, Climashield is a better choice for large panel projects like quilts as it holds up a little better than Primaloft. There are some that just sew around the perimeter and seem to do fine. I like to put a few quilting loops in my projects. For me the quilting loops add peace of mind from stuffing into a stuff sack as well as character (dark orange wool yarn).

All of this info comes from Paul at thru-hiker.com which is where I buy my Climashield.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post

Cut some cardboard strips to the height of your insulation material thickness to use as a guide. Sew a loop by starting on the side your cardboard will be held on, through all the layers, and back up through all layers, doesn't need to be wide at all, maybe 1/8-3/16". Tie off over your cardboard, then remove the cardboard (this just keeps the loop sized so it won't squish the insulation).

I hope that makes sense. I think I need to add that to the DIY Guide Illustration I'm working on for Climashield quilts. Thanks for bringing it up.
    OK, yeah, that makes sense. Next question if you don't mind...how is that best accomplished? My guess would be to have the quilt hanging up in some manner so its easy to get to both sides.

One more question... I looked at a few older threads about climashield UQs. Most seem to be darted in some manner. One I noticed was a flat quilt that used draw cords to adjust the shape of the ends and sides (will have to look that one back up)...being a bit simpler, that method sounds pretty appealing (I'm one of those 'keep it simple as possible' and don't overcomplicate it sort of folks). Are there any problems with that method of construction? Would it be detrimental with respect to holding in warmth?

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

As the original poster I thought I was going to receive an email when there is a response but they never came through so I am just now seeing these comments.

A few follow up questions/comments...
    I just bought my Mom an industrial sewing machine and she has been doing various sewing projects (embroidery, quilts, etc...) for most her life. Its getting cold so her garden is dying so I am going to put her to work for the winter, after all sweat shops are not limited to China

So now I am curious about the difference between insulation in sheet form vs loose insulation material. The sheet material seems like it would be easier to work with, and is more similiar (I think) to what my Mom is accustomed to dealing with, but does the sheet material insulate as well as the loose material?

How do I determine how much insulation I need? I would like to sleep comfortably at 30degF without wearing multiple layers of clothing.

Thanks again....

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Primaloft!!!!!!

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    5 ounce climashield is very easy to work with and will get you down to 30 degrees with no problem.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    DIY whipped end
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I have a quick question relating to this subject.

There are a lot of options for insulation and all of them vary quite a bit in price.
    From a cheap synthetic fill to down.
    But if you had the same amount of each insulation as far as weight what insulation would keep you warm in the coldest temperatures while compressing down to the smallest size? And what would be the second best? the third?

Down?
    Primaloft?
    Climashield?
    IX?
    Add any other ones that I missed...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast