WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mointainfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    WB whoopie slings

Exped Downmat 9 inside a Hennessy?

I'm a veteran backpacker who has not yet been in a hammock, but I like everything I've been reading about hanging. I sleep almost exclusively on my back but switch to my side when my lower back stiffens up, as it inevitabley does when sleeping on the ground. I'm seriously considering investing in a WBBB with underquilt, but first want to test whether I can sleep comfortably in a hammock without making a major investment. I have quality gear for tent camping, including an Exped 9 Downmat sleeping pad (not the wide deluxe model).

REI has a good return policy and sells Hennessy hammocks, so that would be the most practical choice for my initial test. I'm considering two hammocks: the Expedition Asym Classic (bottom entry) and the Expedition Asym Zip (side entry). I'll be camping in cool temps (maybe down to 30) and don't have an underquilt, so I'm wondering whether my Exped Downmat 9 would provide enough under-insulation inside the hammock, and which of the two Hennessy's mentioned above would work better with it or if an Exped 9 is doable in a hammock at all (I usually don't inflate it all the way). I would think the side entry would be better for getting on top of a thick inflatable in a hammock, but I have no experience with this. Top insulation would be my opened-up Western Mountaineering Ultralight 20* bag.

I'm heading to the mountains of North Carolina in a week with a buddy, and he'll carry a lightweight 2-man tent (Lunar Duo) that we can share if the hammock & pad combo don't work.

Any advice?

I used a Downmat in a bottom entry Hennessy my very first time hanging. I got a bad case of CBS, but I think it had more to do with my hang than the pad. So, I think it can work with some experimentation and definitely dont inflate it all the way. I would definitely recommend the side entry. By the time you get in the bottom-entry your pad and sleeping bag are all out of whack and everything kinda slides around. It would be easier to get in and out and adjust things with the side entry I think.

I still have my Downmat (never getting rid of it), but I use what you are considering now a WBBB with quilts and I'm leaving bright and early for my first solo overnighter.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drift Woody View Post
    I'm seriously considering investing in a WBBB with underquilt, but first want to test whether I can sleep comfortably in a hammock without making a major investment. I have quality gear for tent camping, including an Exped 9 Downmat sleeping pad (not the wide deluxe model).

REI has a good return policy and sells Hennessy hammocks, so that would be the most practical choice for my initial test.

so I'm wondering whether my Exped Downmat 9 would provide enough under-insulation inside the hammock,

(I usually don't inflate it all the way). I would think the side entry would be better for getting on top of a thick inflatable in a hammock, but I have no experience with this. Top insulation would be my opened-up Western Mountaineering Ultralight 20* bag.

Any advice?
    1. You can't go wrong with a WBBB - not only is it a great piece of gear made by a great guy with excellent customer service, if you decide you don't like it you can resell it on here in short order at nearly the price you paid for it. Not quite the REI return policy but the next best thing.

2. An Exped DAM is great and can work well in a hammock especially when not fully inflated. Testing with that along with your sleeping bag mentioned should work well and still give you a backup option to go to the ground.

3. The safety net of the REI return policy was what convinced me to try my first full blown camping hammock, the HH Explorer UL. I figured if it didn't work our I would return it and that never was necessary.

4. Side entry is simpler than bottom entry when using a pad, but I've used the DAM in a bottom entry HH and it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    I still have my Downmat (never getting rid of it), but I use what you are considering now a WBBB with quilts and I'm leaving bright and early for my first solo overnighter.
    5. I too can not even consider getting rid of my DAM even though I now alternate between the types of UQ I use for bottom insulation.

6. I alternate between my HH with the 2QZQ zipper mod and my WBBB. I have no experience with the Expedition but for reasons I cannot now recall, I chose the Explorer UL over the Expedition.

Bottom line: Your top and bottom insulation plans are sound and you are choosing between two good hammocks each with a financial bailout option. This is a decision between good things so you can't mess it up, you just may decide to change from one to the other to try new things at some point but either will do what you want.

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    I'm also experimenting with this concept. I presently own a basic Byer Traveller hammock and a Downmat 9 Deluxe air mat. The potential is there, but has to be tweeked. This Downmat has one of the highest R values around. Its a bit heavy, but if it keeps you warm, the extra weight is worth it. I'm new to hammocking, and didn't hang the hammock as level as i shoud have, and I slid all night on it, the sleeping bag's fabric also assisted in the sliding. What I did appreciate was the mats ability to contour and wrap my shoulders, and had I leveled it better, I think I would nailed it. As someone mentioned earlier, you have to determine carefully the proper amount of air pressure for the mat also, it doesn't need much at all. I recently ordered and am still waiting for my WBBB DL 1.1 hammock. which should allow me to slide it in between the two bottom fabrics. I also plan on tryin a space blanket on the bottom of the mat.
    Last edited by uncle_ray_ray; 10-08-2011 at 07:38.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I've used my Exped 9 Deluxe in a side entry Hennessy and in my Blackbird. No problems. You're just higher inside the hammock which can feel strange and a bit more claustrophobic in a net hammock like the Hennessy or Blackbird. You'll probably need a pillow under your knees as the Exped doesn't want to stay at an angle for a flatter lay. (I always sleep with a pillow under my knees anyway.)

I would find it too difficult to use an Exped inside a bottom entry hammock.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    Hennessy has its October Sale of demo/used equipment. Maybe not the same return policy, but given the price......

Also ntowell has one with the zipper mod already done for $100. There was a pm sent yesterday but you could get in line...

Or buy one of each and give the one you don't want to the bride ( if she's hooked too, she can't complain about the money you are going to spend)

For what it is worth I do like my HH Backpacker ( am somewhere over 6' and currently around 190 lb), but from what i read you won't go to far wrong with either HH or WB. Whatever you choose , its better than the ground !!! Good luck

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I find that the Exped DAM 7-9DX works great in a double bottom hammock
    great. Fill it about 2/3 with air and you have a absoulutly lap of luxery bed.
    No need for a space blanket.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Hi Drift Woody,

Glad you are asking questions first. Before I would recommend or not recommend the expedition asym. HH I would need to know how big you are. The HH are good hammocks and for many of us serve very well. But the expedition asym. is not made for people bigger then 6 foot. If you are close to 6 foot (even within an couple inches) I would lean toward the Explorer deluxe. If you are 225-230lbs. or over I would also lean towards the Explorer deluxe. I have both a classic entry and a side zip model and they both have advantages. During wet weather or buggy seasons the bottom entry seems to shine but during cold dryer weather the side zip rises above. There are a number of articles discussing this and here is an example http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=37530

I hope that helps and welcome to the addiction!

Huauqui
    Last edited by huauqui; 10-08-2011 at 10:05. Reason: two left thumbs

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mointainfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    WB whoopie slings
    Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated!

The HH Expedition Asym Zip has a single layer body, correct? If so, I wouldn't be able to place a pad between two layers underneath.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mointainfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    WB whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by huauqui View Post
    Hi Drift Woody,

Glad you are asking questions first. Before I would recommend or not recommend the expedition asym. HH I would need to know how big you are. The HH are good hammocks and for many of us serve very well. But the expedition asym. is not made for people bigger then 6 foot. If you are close to 6 foot (even within an couple inches) I would lean toward the Explorer deluxe. If you are 225-230lbs. or over I would also lean towards the Explorer deluxe. I have both a classic entry and a side zip model and they both have advantages. During wet weather or buggy seasons the bottom entry seems to shine but during cold dryer weather the side zip rises above. There are a number of articles discussing this and here is an example http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=37530

I hope that helps and welcome to the addiction!

Huauqui
    Huauqyi,

I stand 6 feet and a half inch, and need to lose some weight (225 lbs). Thanks for the heads-up!

The Explorer is $200 at REI and weighs 3 lbs 6oz with rainfly. I'm beginning to think I'll be better off going with the WBBB right off (if it can be delivered by this Friday).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast