DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    The most comfortable type of pad I have found is made of minicel foam, and I believe evazote is very similar (but I have no experience with it personally). It is a very light/soft foam, prone to damage easily but conforms well and minimizes the buckling issues I have found with stiffer foams. The REI blue pads used to be made out of this material, not sure if they still are.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeMadeHiker View Post
    Anyone tried that "Insulbrite" stuff? It's some sort of reflective yet breathable batting i think. Its seems to be used to insulate lunch bags and the like. I don't know much about it. I wonder how it does if compressed. But the breath-ability is intriguing.
    Insulbrite is a fleece with a reflective mylar layer in the middle. I've tried it as a layer inside of my fleece UQ and it added maybe 10 degrees itself. It is quite breathable though, even the lightest breeze will flow straight through it robbing it of all it's heat. I wouldn't recommend as a pad, but a few people have had some measure of success with it when used with a PLUQ, either between the layers of the PLUQ or between the PLUQ and the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Wallyworld also sells a waffle patterned blue pad that is 24" wide and sells for about $12. Weights 15 oz
    Not all Wal-Marts carry these. I've yet to find one at a Wal-Mart in my area and I've been to at least a dozen different stores.

Another option is to cut a yoga mat to make wings to use with a CCF pad. Wal-mart sells yoga mats for around $15.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    i checked their web site, It looks like the foam pads are no longer listed. i hope this is a seasonal thing!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I believe the blue foam is Volara foam. It's used by the flooring industry as sound deadening and packaging industry as padding. It comes in 60 in rolls and several thicknesses and 2 weights. It might be worth checking with folks in your area to see if anybody can sell you a chunk. A 3 ft roll end might be scrap.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Marmot Never Summr
    Suspension
    1/4 Spectra Rope
    I am an avid winter camper from NC but the temperatures still get down to 0 with wind chill and I have never woken up from being "chilly". I was at a garage sale about 2 yrs ago and picked up this old "egg crate" sleeping pad with thin rubbery back. Its a little wider than most sleeping pads but works great in a hammock. The egg crate holds me in place all night and the rubbery bottom holds to the nylon of the hammock. And because its wider than a normal pad it comes up around my shoulders when i sleep. I'm 6' 3".

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123