Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 177
  1. #101
    L.D. Cakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Holston Mtn. Foothills
    Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Posts
    3,218
    Images
    81
    I've paddled the Big South Fork a few times. It can get really big during times of rain. I sure got to practice my combat roll skills last time I was on it. Even got my paddle half ripped out of my hands on one occasion but held tight with the other one and repositioned to hit my roll. Have scars on my helmet from that one!

    Y'all be careful. Cakes
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

  2. #102
    MedicineMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Roan Mountain,TN
    Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Posts
    5,596
    Images
    76
    Cakes join us-see the park from the boot side

  3. #103
    L.D. Cakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Holston Mtn. Foothills
    Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Posts
    3,218
    Images
    81
    Well thank you MM, I've done trails there on a mt. bike several years ago mixed in with some paddling, It's a beautiful place. Clear Creek is another river in the Cumberland Plateau area I love, as well as the Obed. Love to go again but I already have plans to hike Holston to see what the fire did this past week.
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

  4. #104
    Detail Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    879
    Images
    5
    It looks like I will be able to make this trip, but probably will see ya'll on Saturday. Just so I know Friday night camp is very near the junction of Grand Gap Loop, Fall Branch, and JMT trails. Sat night camp is on Laurel Fork Creek Trail near where "Fork" is labeled on the map. Correct? As the week progresses I'll know more about when I can join ya'll.

    Wisenber -- Are you trying for Fri night or Sat am departure?

    DM

  5. #105
    Señor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,189
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    It looks like I will be able to make this trip, but probably will see ya'll on Saturday. Just so I know Friday night camp is very near the junction of Grand Gap Loop, Fall Branch, and JMT trails. Sat night camp is on Laurel Fork Creek Trail near where "Fork" is labeled on the map. Correct? As the week progresses I'll know more about when I can join ya'll.

    Wisenber -- Are you trying for Fri night or Sat am departure?

    DM
    Actually, I'm trying to be at the trailhead before 3 pm Friday. I'm hoping to meet up at the Friday campsite, but I'll have to see how that area hikes in the dark. If I have a ford of any size, I won't do it in the dark.

  6. #106
    Detail Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    879
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Actually, I'm trying to be at the trailhead before 3 pm Friday. I'm hoping to meet up at the Friday campsite, but I'll have to see how that area hikes in the dark. If I have a ford of any size, I won't do it in the dark.
    I figure with your waders a ford wouldn't be a problem. You just need to put a small generator in that big 700 liter pack. Add some flood lights on top and you'd be set for night time fords. The weight won't matter. Always better to err on the safe side and carry a few extra ounces with you, just in case.

  7. #107
    Senior Member hangnout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Monterey, TN
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Posts
    1,715
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    It looks like I will be able to make this trip, but probably will see ya'll on Saturday. Just so I know Friday night camp is very near the junction of Grand Gap Loop, Fall Branch, and JMT trails. Sat night camp is on Laurel Fork Creek Trail near where "Fork" is labeled on the map. Correct? As the week progresses I'll know more about when I can join ya'll.
    DM
    I think that Roche is planning the Friday night camp on the JMT about 8 miles or so from the start. The campsite on Fall Branch Trail near the Grand Gap Loop junction (4.5 mile from start) was a backup for anyone coming in later that could not make it to the main campsite.

    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Actually, I'm trying to be at the trailhead before 3 pm Friday. I'm hoping to meet up at the Friday campsite, but I'll have to see how that area hikes in the dark. If I have a ford of any size, I won't do it in the dark.
    No fords until Sunday morning on way out. They are on Laurel Fork Creek not on the river.

  8. #108
    L.D. Cakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Holston Mtn. Foothills
    Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Posts
    3,218
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    I think that Roche is planning the Friday night camp on the JMT about 8 miles or so from the start. The campsite on Fall Branch Trail near the Grand Gap Loop junction (4.5 mile from start) was a backup for anyone coming in later that could not make it to the main campsite.



    No fords until Sunday morning on way out. They are on Laurel Fork Creek not on the river.
    Yes, But this is Wisbenber, He'll find one!
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

  9. #109
    Señor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,189
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    I figure with your waders a ford wouldn't be a problem. You just need to put a small generator in that big 700 liter pack. Add some flood lights on top and you'd be set for night time fords. The weight won't matter. Always better to err on the safe side and carry a few extra ounces with you, just in case.
    I'm actually looking at using my surplus Swiss rucksack for this one. I'm weighing in at around 24.75 including my poncho cape and food this time. I just need to tweak the hip belt on that one for a few. That rucksack has top and bottom access, so I can pack my peapod last from the bottom allowing me to have everything else ready to go before.

    Hiking in those waders was pretty darned HOT with that big pack I used at Forney Creek. I'll be reverting back to my Innov-8's for this trip. Hopefully I can catch up before it gets too late Friday.

  10. #110
    Señor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,189
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    Yes, But this is Wisbenber, He'll find one!
    I did find us a few at Dennis Cove now didn't I. When it looked like there wouldn't be enough fords, I just made sure that it would rain enough to make the whole trial one long ford.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •