Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    hikingdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Richmond, WI
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,537

    2QZQ protector to hold down bag?

    I saw someone on YouTube use the HHSS to hold a sleeping bag for an UQ, but I'm wondering if I can save some bucks and get the 2QZQ protector and use it to support a down bag that I already have (saving me even more money). I should also say that I am brand new to hammocks and don't even technically have one....soon though, very soon! I plan to get the explorer deluxe hennessey hammock if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance, and I'm super excited to have found this forum!!

  2. #2
    Two Tents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hadley, Pa.
    Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    950
    Hey ! Welcome to the addiction. I think I remember this coming up before. Someone will chime in to the thread on it or you can use the search feature. The one that breathes would be my guess but the condensation factor comes into play, I think that was the discussion. Space blanket in between the ? and ? for a vapor barrier? Big help am I, humm?
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

  3. #3
    hikingdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Richmond, WI
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,537
    Thanks two tents! I saw some things related to this, but didn't find anything asking this specifically. Hope someone has tried it before and can chime in

  4. #4
    Two Tents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hadley, Pa.
    Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    950
    I didn't read it all but I went and found the one thread I was telling you I remember. It addresses some of your concerns anyway.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=28627
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

  5. #5
    DaleW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I saw someone on YouTube use the HHSS to hold a sleeping bag for an UQ, but I'm wondering if I can save some bucks and get the 2QZQ protector and use it to support a down bag that I already have (saving me even more money). I should also say that I am brand new to hammocks and don't even technically have one....soon though, very soon! I plan to get the explorer deluxe hennessey hammock if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance, and I'm super excited to have found this forum!!
    I have used an undercover very similar to the 2QZQ model. My version is also a hoodless silnylon poncho to get more utility from the weight. It is a simple rectangle of cloth with channels in all four sides and 3/32" shock cords with toggles. I added a couple mitten hooks and rings to the mix to help the undercover work better with the Hennessey shape.

    I have used the undercover with Garlington insulators ( see http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/Hammoc.../Insulator.htm), which are quite a bit lighter than a sleeping bag. I don't know if an undercover will handle the weight of a sleeping bag. You might pull it off if you suspend most of the weight with cords on each end. Then the undercover only needs to snug up the sleeping bag to the bottom of you hammock to eliminate air gaps.

    You can buy the Hennessy foam insulating pad separately and use that with the 2QZQ undercover, and a space blanket, and even add Garlington insulators or a more typical underquilt to the mix.

    You can make an undercover from an inexpensive hammock like the Grand Trunk Ultralight (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40675) with a simple shock cord suspension in the end channels, , but an undercover does benefit from having shock cords down the sides--- especially if you want it to hold more weight like your sleeping bag.

    Here are a couple of my threads on the subject:

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=36298
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=36668

  6. #6
    hikingdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Richmond, WI
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,537
    @two tents Yeah I read that whole thread last night. Seems like it should work...I saw that one of the testers had mentioned that he thought it would hold up a light blanket well, but the weight of the sleeping bag concerns me because his definition of light might be different from mine. My down bag that I am considering using is about 2 lbs 3oz

    @dalew thanks for the links! I like that last one using the space blankets. So much to consider!

  7. #7
    DaleW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    @two tents Yeah I read that whole thread last night. Seems like it should work...I saw that one of the testers had mentioned that he thought it would hold up a light blanket well, but the weight of the sleeping bag concerns me because his definition of light might be different from mine. My down bag that I am considering using is about 2 lbs 3oz

    @dalew thanks for the links! I like that last one using the space blankets. So much to consider!

    2 lbs 3 oz is too heavy for an undercover to suspend on its own I think. Use cords on the ends to hold most of the weight. Then the trick will be to get the bag to spread out wide enough to give you good coverage--- and stay that way. You could sew mitten hooks to the sides of the bag and run cords through them to give you a suspension more like a typical UQ. If you can pull that off, you may not need an undercover at all.

    I could see doing this for one trip to get by, but for regular use it seems heavy and clumsy. Eventually you will want to get a good UQ for cold weather.

  8. #8
    hikingdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Richmond, WI
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    2 lbs 3 oz is too heavy for an undercover to suspend on its own I think. Use cords on the ends to hold most of the weight. Then the trick will be to get the bag to spread out wide enough to give you good coverage--- and stay that way. You could sew mitten hooks to the sides of the bag and run cords through them to give you a suspension more like a typical UQ. If you can pull that off, you may not need an undercover at all.

    I could see doing this for one trip to get by, but for regular use it seems heavy and clumsy. Eventually you will want to get a good UQ for cold weather.
    this is just to get me by for some cold weather this year and next year hopefully I can afford a good UQ... even still the new hammock is about 2lbs lighter than my tent soooo its about the same weight that I was carrying before.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Tendertoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Posts
    1,352
    Two approaches that may work better -

    Method 1 - Use the bag as a peapod. This will only work if you have a 2 way zipper on the bag. A little more confining, but you have your TQ and UQ all in one.







    Method 2 - Four Grip Clips attached at the 4 "corners" of the bag with cordage run the same way a UQ would be run.

    Pardon the basement shot, it is raining here.



    The second method is the one I prefer. It actually has the same exact feel of a UQ (because it is functioning exactly like one).

    YMMV

  10. #10
    Two Tents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hadley, Pa.
    Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    950
    Maybe you could rig some kind of suspension to the bag so the UQ protector wasn't carrying any of the weight. Just sayin. I sure it can be made to work. Ya just gotta iron out the bugs and make it happen ! Post the results if/when you do it. I'm interested in the results of how it is working.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •