DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Well.... Sorry to say no pictures. It was raining when we got there, rained all nite and I had to break camp in the ran. But the OMW did a great job keeping us dry. Temps were around 70 when we laid down and got down to about 52 by the morning.

I ended up stringing both hammocks side by side off the same 2 trees so Andrew and I were laying right next to one another. Andrew slept with the HG quilt and a fleece bag on top. I slept with the WL UQ and TQ. I kept reaching over to make sure Andrew still had his top covers on and he kept throwing them off. He said he was to warm for top covers and he usually does sleep on top of his covers here at home. I slept with 1 leg in the WL TQ and pretty much the rest of my body uncovered for most of the nite. The wind picked up around 3am for a bit and at that point I covered my lower half but my top half was toasty. So all in all I think the gear is equally matched.

I did not get a chance to swap quilts because we did not camp again. Andrew saw all the spiders staying dry on our tub under the tarp and he was done. Spent the next nite in a hotel and now we are back home. Trip cut short by 3 days cause I know I would lose the battle. He really doesnt like spiders.

Hammock
    tttg sb 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    hmg cuben
    Insulation
    Crows Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have been wanting a full length under quilt to use when it it too cold for my 3/4. thank you for helping me make up my mind. I ordered a wilderness logics wit 2 oz overfill today. dave

Images
    I can relate to Andrew's spider issues.
    When I was a kid I could not even look at pictures of spiders in books.

In fact it was spiders that got me into hammocks in the early 70's.
    My first hammock(military issue Jungle hammock) was given to me by a GI returning from Vietnam.
    I was in heaven. You might try a netted hammock for Andrew.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drichi View Post
    I have been wanting a full length under quilt to use when it it too cold for my 3/4. thank you for helping me make up my mind. I ordered a wilderness logics wit 2 oz overfill today. dave
    Excellent.... I couldnt be happier with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I can relate to Andrew's spider issues.
    When I was a kid I could not even look at pictures of spiders in books.

In fact it was spiders that got me into hammocks in the early 70's.
    My first hammock(military issue Jungle hammock) was given to me by a GI returning from Vietnam.
    I was in heaven. You might try a netted hammock for Andrew.
    Yeah.. He wont look at pictures of spiders either. Ive come to terms with the fact I just dont have a kid that likes camping. If its not spiders, its the wind, or the rain, or the sun.. Something always sets him off to the point he becomes emotional and camping is over. We usually do better when there are other people and kids around... But even then, it only delays the inevitable. Perhaps in a few more years he will be a little more confident.

Images
    I'm sure he'll grow out of it.
    I did and a few years later I joined the Boy Scouts and have hiked and camped ever since.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    <snip>

The first thing I noticed is the HG UQ had ~double the number of baffles. (pict#3)
    I would think this would really help keep the down in place not allowing any down shifting causing cold spots.
    From an HG incubator on hand:

I believe alternate runs of stitching are just for the darts / tapering / tailoring. There are not baffles between them at top and bottom. Maybe other makers, including WL, anchor the baffles and tailor the shape with the same stitching. I count nine chambers.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    @Opie - Nice comparison, exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Been wondering about asym sleeping and bridge hammocks with these UQ's. I have an Eno DN (summer) and a chrysalis (winter). For the Chrysalis I'll make a bungee suspended waterproof UQ sling to hold the UQ folded double. So I assume the chrysalis will be ok. But in my eno, I lay completely at an angle (cant be any more to the edge or my feet/head would poke out) to get a comfy position. Would I be able to get these UQ's to fit right by tightening/loosening the suspension asymmetrically (I'm 5,94ft and switch regularly from my back to my side during sleep ) ?

Choosing between these two is hard though... They look pretty much the same. WL is 14oz and HG 12oz but they both say that they're at 20°F... HG will ship to Belgium for 5$. WL... will have to ask IF they will ship at all and how much it would be. Pricewise the WL is better, if shipping is the same of course... Weight-wise the HG wins, but then again, I would get 1oz overfill on that one. I'll have to sleep on it for while

Edit: I'm a bit slow sometimes. Marty from wildernesslogics hooked me up with some amsteel blue so I know for a fact he'll ship to Belgium. Completely forgot he was from wildernesslogics, shame on me. I'm gonna send a mail to find out the shipping cost.
    Last edited by kreecher; 11-03-2011 at 16:29.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Opie,

Thanks for the pics.

Does one appear to loft up more than the other, from a dead flat surface?

It looks like the WL has double stitching along the grossgrain, as opposed a single stitch on the HG?

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Again, thanks for the comparison Opie. I ended up going with the full length UQ from wilderness logics. Turned out to be the better deal for me. When I added to that the fact that Marty has helped me out before, the decision wasn't that hard.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1
    Tarp
    SWT
    Does anyone else own both quilts? I am interested and unsure of which one to buy. It sounds like 2 people are buying Wilderness Logics, however the most popular quilts are the HG incubators.

HELP!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast