Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch

Hangin with the Scouts at Reed Bingham SP - Georgia

This is my first trip report, so I hope I do okay.

We arrived at Reed Bingham SP, just outside of Adel, Georgia, at 8:45 on Friday night, and the temps were already dropping: 52 as we were setting up camp in the dark. Forecast lows were for 40; I'm sure it got down to below that where we were.

We camped in the Pioneer site, which was lovely and huge (see pics). Saturday morning we hit the trails, and did about 7 miles worth of hiking - some of the boys had never been hiking, so it was a nice easy lead-in for the Hiking MB we are working on this year. After getting back from the hike, the boys held a game - which seemed to mainly involve running through the woods and a lot of yelling

After dinner and a campfire with skits and stunts, we turned in for night two - still a bit chilly. Awoke around 2 to the sounds of coyote music - VERY close by. Went back to sleep listening to the howl and yip.

So - I slept in the Hennessy Explorer that I just finished rigging with whoopies (Thanks lymphocytosis!). First night was ok - used a light sleeping bag as an underquilt along with the Hennessy 4-season shelter and a heavier bag as a top quilt. Stayed fairly warm, all considered, though my feet got chilly (poor placement of the footbox, I suspect.) Bag and under-pad were damp in the morning, however - forgot to set up the vapor barrier. Second night was better - I put a mylar emergency blanket between the hammock and the pad. I slept on the thin bag in the hammock with the thicker bag on top, and was mostly warm all night.

Think in the future I will make some modifications to the light bag to hold it in place under the pad - that is, until I am able to find the right underquilt and purchase it. I'll likely continue to use the other bag as a TQ for a while until I can spring for down or make my own.

All in all, a really nice campout, and a good run for a first hang in colder weather.

PS - Lots of interest in the hammock among the kids - poor guys, sleepin on the ground like that ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Sounds like you'll be having a few converts before you know it. There really should be a hammocking merit badge.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Sounds and looks like a great time!

• + New Posts