Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp

New-to-me UltraLight

Hi, all. I've been dying to try a Clark, so jumped at the chance of a used one. If possible, read from the bottom up. There are 3 messages.

All comments/suggestions/tips gratefully received.

sandy kramer, miami

FROM SANDY KRAMER

<<Hammock arrived and I set it up on a Vario hammock stand, but don't have extensions to raise the rainfly, so it wasn't a perfect set-up. Plus I couldn't fiddle around much per had to go to work.

First of all, by putting one knee in the 4 position, I can get a comfortable, flat, lay, so that alleviates my biggest concern.

I HATE THE ROPES...they will have to go. Ain't gonna fiddle around with knots.

The pack included a pair of Clark straps (are they poly...?) but they were folded in half and all scrunched up. I wanted to iron them, but I'm sure that would have dire consequences! I soaked them in water and then wrapped them around a circular disenfectant wipes container and hope they will dry at least slightly flatter.

No instructions, so if you could find something, that would be nice.

I'm going to follow someone's suggestion and add some loops to straps and thread the rope on the outside.

I will see if I can make that work with these http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42501

They are so easy to use and adjust. I'll pack a pair of whoopies and/or and extender loop in case.

I'm a bit confused. By my logic, my head should be where the pockets are AND at the point of the rainfly, thus enabling me to have an open view. But you have the peak of the fly at the foot end. Why? Does it make a difference.

At first I thought that it was to enable one to close it up from inside, but since they are tied out, you'd still have to get out of the hammock.

I need a way to lift up the netting. I have those nifty Harbor Freight 13" screw-together flexible wire rods (whew!) that I am able to use with my Switchback Light Hiker. Not sure where would be good placement for grosgrain loops that would still allow for net to be zippered open. ?????

I was wondering whether anyone had extended the length of the standard rainfly. I'm thinking like the grizs beaks that attach to a tarp to make doors. So far I've only come up with a combination of velcro and buttons/buttonholes as a secure way to attach.

There's a loop at the head end, but forgot to check whether there is one at both ends.

Some people have attached a ridgeline to hang light items. Where is it affixed?

This will be great for overnighting on the deck (I need a fly for condensation) and for kayak river camping trips in FLs warmer weather when we hang out under a group tarp.

Sandy Kramer
    Miami, FL 33196

FROM JUNGLE HAMMOCK <[email protected]>
    To: 'Sandy Kramer' <[email protected]>
    Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:40 PM
    Subject: RE: Ultra-light

Hello Sandy ,

Thanks for your message. We appreciate your interest!

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) You are receiving a UltraLight model with standard rain tarp that was sold in September of 2009. As you suspected, the type of tarp and suspension is now outdated, but works just fine. Hopefully, you’ll receive the instructions with it. If not, we may be able to find some for you.

2) As we said above, the type of tarps that fit this model are outdated. We could upgrade your hammock to use the new suspension system and tarps for free. However, the new XL tarp would cost $139 by itself.

3) Yes, we saw the old Sgt Rock review (it is very old).

4) Replacing the two pockets of the UltraLight with mesh would save less than an ounce. So not only would you not save hardly any weight, but you would end up with pockets that are not nearly durable enough to do their job.

5) It would be really, really hard to add pockets by yourself.

6) Based on your height, you do not need to worry about being comfortable in this hammock. You’ll love it.

7) You’ll love the nice compact size of the hammock.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.
    Regards,
    Clark Outdoor Products

FROM SANDY KRAMER [mailto:[email protected]]
    Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:11 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Ultra-light

I have just purchased a Tropical Ultra-light from [JM]. Could you possibly check your records to see exactly what I'm getting? He said he bought it a couple of years ago.

An extra-large rainfly would be really really nice since we get a lot of rain in Florida . Also, I was reading on Hammock Forums about changes in the way the rainfly is attached. Is mine considered an older model?

Did you ever read Sgt. Rock's review? It was several years ago. He commented that making the pockets out of mesh would save a lot of weight.

I have basic sewing skills. Is it possible or, rather, would it be very difficult/awkward to add pockets?

I'm a bit concerned about not getting a diagonal lay, but since I'm only 5' tall, I'm hoping to make it work.

I have a Switchback LightHiker, Treklight double, Byer's Moskito Traveler, gorgeous red Brazillian, plus a few woven string hammocks from Venezuela . As someone said: It's only an addiction if you are trying to quit!

Am hoping that with the integrated rainfly, Tropical UL will be a fairly small package.

thanks
    Sandy Kramer

Hammock
    JRB, Clark ultralight, Hennessy . .

Clark ultralight

Hi! I also have a Clark ultralight that I picked up used.
    I really wanted to try a Clark. It has become my favorite hammock (right now at least). I think mine is even older than yours.

As far as the stock suspension goes - I used Clark drip rings to adjust the ropes. It actually works pretty well. video here:
    http://www.junglehammock.com/youtube.php
    I think I will eventually swap the ropes out for a webbing/buckle system.

I didn't mind the stock tarp, but would use a larger one for colder weather or if I knew it was going to rain.

I found the hammock very comfortable. I usually sleep on my side.
    And I like the compactness and relative light weight of it.

Hope you enjoy yours!

Marti
    (and here's a pdf of the owner's manual from Clark's site)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mph5; 11-03-2011 at 12:12. Reason: added 2007 owner's manual pdf

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    AT LAST!!!! Someone answered. I didn't even get a reply from Clark so I really do appreciate the manual

I only managed to set it up once before coming to Mexico for 12 days

The cost of the XL fly is too much, so I really want to see if I can just extend it. I have some purple silnylon, which would be compatible with the green

Keep me posted. Tx

Hammock
    JRB, Clark ultralight, Hennessy . .

Clark ultralight - larger rainfly

I think you could use another fly if you used a ridge line under it. Then fasten the d-rings on the netting to some prussic loops on the ridge line (using the bungee cords that come with the Clark or make your own). Sportsmansguide occasionally has a 10 x 10 tarp (not too lightweight, though) for $20-30.

Are you in Mexico now?

Pictures??

Marti

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Hah. I sold my s/guide one, but I have two others - large and larger tarps

OES McCat deluxe and scott littlefield's 10x11 (I think!) 3-season rectangular

On our kayak river trips they always set up a group tarp so I wanted the convenience of the Clark. But it can easily start pouring so I thought a slightly extended fly would help

Yup, in Mex. Will take pix when handyman finishes. He has spent hours chippping away at concrete Total of 3 pairs of hooks.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Sandy:
    I don't have the Tropical CJH but I do have a NX-200 from CJH. I have the XL fly and found it to be adequate but like you I wanted a larger tarp. I have used the hammock with both tarps that you have and what I did to suspend the netting of the hammock was to use shockcord stringers from the tarp ridgeline attachment points to the d-rings on the hammock netting/weathershield. Small s-beiners work great for quick break down here and allow the tarp to be seperated from the hammock.

If you want to run a ridgeline across the opening of the tropical there are two small grossgrain loops, well there are on my NX, sewn at the apex of the opening, should be right inside the netting from the suspension attachment points that go to the netting. I used another piece of shock-cord between these two points just to make sure I did not put any undue stress on the netting.

I hope this helps and that you enjoy the Tropical while you are in the Tropics!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Tx for the tarp tips. I have the UL with the standard fly

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I have the UL Clark as well, I use my DIY 9''x11" tarp set up with a separate ridge line ( 4 season/heavy rains .. I use a DIY 8''x10'' tarp otherwise and configure that as SRL ... The thing with the UL is that you have to set the sag for the hammock and for the netting .. PTA ..
    I use parts of the Clark suspension and DIY straps with buckles ... I retained the ring (it works as a drip ring as well as my anchor point for the strap/tree hugger, the netting and the hammock) the ring also serves as the anchor point for the SRL when I use that set-up.
    This allows me to keep the distance from the hammock and bug netting fixed, I adjust the sag using the straps with the buckles *note* after seeing MacEntyre's video today I'll try that method out. ( I'll eliminate the buckles and sew a fixed eye into the strap with the ring fixed inside of it).
    The string you see coming off the hammock rope is a prussic with two(2) fixed eyes that I use for my UQ, if it wasn't for the dual adjustment I would use a strap for the Entyre (pun intended) length.

I DWR treated the panel coming off the hammock body that goes up to the bug netting as well.

I also never use the four side tie outs (trip lines) they look nice when you're not in the hammock, not necessary when you're inside it.

"The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

• + New Posts