Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    but I have also found out you do not need to crank on the tieouts like you are used to doing with silnylon tarps.
    That's one of the things I love about my cuben tarp, especially when over rocky terrain. I pitches so much easier, and stays taught. I just need to add the squeegee sponge back in the pack, as I used to take with my silnylon. For some reason I was expecting more of the cuben.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Very interesting topic!! I have a hybrid cuban tarp (half cuban, half silnylon) and will keep a watch on how it preforms in the rain. I've just made it and only camped a couple of times with it so far. My former tarp, a homemade, cat cut silnylon winter tarp had to be shook out and wiped down before rolling up and stowed away. Since my cuban tarp is half silnylon, I already knew I would still be wiping it down.

Something I'd found with my silnylon and the reason I wanted cuban, was that during the winter, I found water (rain or humidity or maybe it was condensation from me??) on the inside of my tarp. It would freeze!! I was hoping that the cuban doesn't do this. This is something I'll be looking out for with the cuban. Plus with my tarp being two different fabrics, I'll be able to see right away how each is preforming in the exact same situations.

I've had my cuban tarp up in heavy rain but because I didn't take it down when it was wet, I don't know if it was heavier?? I was able to leave it hanging until the next day and by then it was totally dry.

So for now, I'm in "test mode" with my cuban tarp. I can say that I've tested it enough to trust it on a camping trip away from home. I really don't think I'm gonna get wet while under it.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    TTTG Switchback 1.9 SL
    Tarp
    Custom MacCat Dlx
    Suspension
    Whoopies Dutch Hk
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Something I'd found with my silnylon and the reason I wanted cuban, was that during the winter, I found water (rain or humidity or maybe it was condensation from me??) on the inside of my tarp. It would freeze!! I was hoping that the cuban doesn't do this. This is something I'll be looking out for with the cuban. Plus with my tarp being two different fabrics, I'll be able to see right away how each is preforming in the exact same situations.
    An interesting idea (whether feasible or not is another issue) is to make a tarp out of a material similar to ToddTex used in Bibler Tents. From an online source:

ToddTex fabric is made exclusively for Bibler Tents. Totally waterproof, windproof, and extremely breathable—ToddTex is the best PTFE laminated tent fabric available. By stretching a thin layer of PTFE film over super-light ripstop fabric, we create nine billion microscopic pores per square inch of material. Water droplets are 700 times larger than these pores and can’t get through—even under high pressure. The inner layer of ToddTex is made from a fuzzy Nexus® lining that wicks water as fast as a paper towel—dispersing moisture vapor across, then through, the PTFE barrier.
    My emphasis in bold on the Nexus lining. Seems that I recall this type of construction a few other rare times over the years. If such a material were available to the average folks then maybe we could come up with something that would do away with condensation altogether.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore