Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PapSmurf Hammock Stand

I'm have now begun this build:

http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/proje...t=/PHS%20Plans

Very nice and has been easy. I do see a few issues I am addressing.

1. Spacer blocks.

There are 4 4" 2x4 spacers with holes drilled 2" on center. The holes in the base are at 1.5". This makes the spacer stick out by .5". I may have installed it wrong but I'm going to change end spacers to not have that over hang. I am also going to tack down the spacers with screws so they do not move.

2. 1/4 bolts

My Home Depot does not sell bolts longer than 6". I bought 1/4-20 threaded rod and cut them 7.5". Make sure to use lock washers on one end. This method is a pain since I have a dull hacksaw but it works.

3. Bolts for outriggers.

You are supposed to use the same method for the outriggers to attach them to the base. The head sticking out of the foot will not allow it to set flush to the ground. I bought 5.5" 1/4-20 carriage bolts. I will drill the hole and counter sink it so that the head of the bolt will be beneath the level of the wood. This will allow it to sit flush.

4. Hammock mount

I think we are going to drill .5" holes on the outer beams. We'll drill 3 6" a part. We will use .5" oak dowel. I can slip whatever I want to hang over the outer beam and it will catch on the dowel. This should work well.

This will be a fun build. I'm making two. One for me and one for a fellow hanger. I will be building. His task is to test this over a few nights in his bedroom. He will also take it camping next weekend and test it outside.

I'm investigating ways to do this using 1x4. I'm looking at using aluminium stock as reinforcement in a few places. I can get the stock cheaper at a metal shop over Home Depot. I've consulted a civil engineer on this idea. 1x4 stock is a bit more expensive than 2x4 so I want some input. I'm hoping this will reduce weight by half.

I'm also concerned about the use of 1/4" bolts. I'm thinking it may be best to upgrade that to 3/8".

Anyone else build this and made changes?

Chris

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    It should be mentioned that the stand on my site was built from plans graciously provided by HF member SinisterMinister.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    GearGuide12x12
    Insulation
    FrankenIXWoobie
    Suspension
    Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    It should be mentioned that the stand on my site was built from plans graciously provided by HF member SinisterMinister.
    Based on TrailH4x's design.

If (when) I make my next one I'll probably make some of the same changes you're suggesting. Especially locking down the spacer blocks and using different hardware.

You'll find a lot of good ideas in Trail4Hx's thread, too.
    Dutch: Hammock is probably more weight but who wants to lay on the ground? I pee on the ground.

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Has anyone made it longer than the plans call for. I was thinking considering adding 2 feet to the length.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Complete

It took me a bit to make this because I did not pre cut all the wood. I will do that on 2nd build. I also did this build with no help. I suggest anyone building it get some help.

I've not tested it yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More pics

More completed pics.

I believe the outriggers are enough to keep this hammock upright. I hope so.

The hammock is a queen sheet hamock with paracord running through head and foot hems. It has served me well for 1.5 years of constant use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    I'd like to know how the 1x4 version works out ... the portable stand will really be portable like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    I'd like to know how the 1x4 version works out ... the portable stand will really be portable like that.
    I have access to 40' of 1x1 aluminium square tube. Free. I'm thinking about it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    How much money for all the materials?
    Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

Cost

I think for the 2x4 version I spent a little over $30. If I make one from aluminium it should only cost me the hardware. The tubing is free. I do not know how strong 1"x1" square aluminium tubing is. There will be less width on the bottom so the outriggers will be critical.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast