Rev 2 of hammock stand built
I built a stand today for a friend who has a Byers Mosquito net hammock. I'm not particularly fond of this design, but he likes it.
When we tested it on mine we decided that the base should be 6.5' and the booms 6.5'. This would give him more adjustment capability for a hang. It took me 2 hours to crank this one out. Only one trip to Home Depot. I got everything in that trip we needed.
This one is made with 2x3. These are $1.99/ea at HD in 8' length. The jury is still out on how strong it is. He is supposed to be testing the build in his home this week. If it survives it will go car camping with him next week. I think I may have to quickly make him a UQ. CARE must be taken when picking out lumber. Since these are not as wide as 2x4 more of them on the pallet are not straight or have other minor imperfections. I spent 10 minutes picking out 5 good boards. We stuck with a 2x4 for the outriggers.
The small pieces that attach to the booms are 1x3s.
Dang good looking work, I'm thinking about making one of these for the patio!
You could used treated wood. It is heavy at first because it is still wet. I'm not sure if I've seen 2x3 as pressure treated.
Originally Posted by Gaberloonzie
The outriggers are attached with carriage bolts. The heads of the bolts are on the bottom of the outrigger. I've used a 3/4" spade bit to countersink the heads so that the feet set flush to the surface.
The slings you see are what I call "mini slings".
The attachment loop is a locked brummel with 2" bury. The adjustable loop is only buried 2".
The attachment loop is 1". The bury 2-3". 1" of rope. Then 2" of bury for the adjustment. Fully pulled in the sling is only 7" long! I use this design on the metal stand in my home office. We used the same design for this stand. The booms are just not far apart for a 9-12" bury on the adjustment loop!
that's a good looking stand. Not too much in materials or labor sounds like. a good afternoon's work!
It helps to have a 2nd person helping. It made it go much faster and it was easier getting everything together. Cut everything then do assembly!
Originally Posted by Les Rust
Tags for this Thread