Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    learning
    I am a newbie- please feel free to rip these ideas to shreds.
    single suspension point- like a hammock chair. 8-10 foot spreader bar- hang hammock from ends of bar- drape tarp over bar for rain shelter.
    As long as branch can support weight, and bar has enough compressive strength, done deal..

Looks like a great idea.

Hammock
    BIAS WW w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    WS/TH
    Quote Originally Posted by theshadownose View Post
    single suspension point- like a hammock chair. 8-10 foot spreader bar- hang hammock from ends of bar
    FYI: When used like this, we usually call the "spreader bar" a ridgepole.

The only problem I see is how the tension plays on the ridgepole. If you look at the turtlelady/turtledog stands, you see that there is an upwards bow to the ridgepole (typically chain link fence top rails). That is with the suspension points being a few inches from each end. If you suspend from the center, you're going to exacerbate this issue. You'll need a pretty stiff rail to counteract this.

Of course, I've not actually tried your idea... but I like it a lot! The park next to my house only has one tree but I haven't put together a single-tree solution yet.

I think you can modify this idea. If you suspend the ridgepole from two branches, you'd end up with a suspension similar to that of a more traditional hammock stand. I'd use webbing, and wrap it several times to discourage slippage in case one branch flexes more than the other and your ridgepole doesn't hang level.

Edit: Welcome to the forums! You'll find lots of great ideas on here, enjoy yourself!
    Last edited by Narksos; 03-27-2013 at 21:25. Reason: Adding welcome!