OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's

Presenting "The Pad Pocket"

I had the good fortune to hang for 4 nights in Skidaway state park near Savannah for a weekend of Geocaching and camping. I have yet to make an underquilt, and I knew I was going to need some sort of insulation. This is my first hand where temps were below 80 so I wasn't quite sure what I was in for. The first night I put the pad under my sleeping bag...that didn't work so great. The next night i placed the pad in a fleece bag that I had brought with me and slid it inside my bag. I sleep warm and comfy for the remaining three nights, on of which got down to around 34. The fleece sleeping bag was way to big for the pad so there was a great deal of shifting around, but much better than under everything. So I got to thinking...I should make a pocket of fleece to put the pad in so that it fits the pad snugly, to help reduce the wiggle factor.
    I found some fleece on sale at Joann's and got to sewing I do understand that it's not LW or UL for that matter, but most of my camping is car camping, and 2-3 day trips as that's all I have time for these days. I hope to get to test this out sometime soon and will report back on how it works. It was a simple project and thought I would share for others out there that haven't or are a bit leery of starting a UQ project.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    you can use nylon or polyester for the bottom of the pocket - cuts bulk and maybe price, minimal loss in insulation. Still get the fleece to lay on.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Very cool! Like an SPE but only one sleeve. And fleece is much more cozy to snuggle up to than silnylon!

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    you can use nylon or polyester for the bottom of the pocket - cuts bulk and maybe price, minimal loss in insulation. Still get the fleece to lay on.
    The thought crossed my mind, but for $2.99 a yard with my coupon, the fleece was a bargin! Maybe on my next rendition i will use a lighter reverse material.

Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Very cool! Like an SPE but only one sleeve. And fleece is much more cozy to snuggle up to than silnylon!
    The snuggle factor is very high with the fleece for sure! It was with the fleece sleeping bag, and the fleece I used for the pocket is even softer!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Great idea. I've slept in moderate weather (low 50's) with 2 fleece sleeping bag liners and a pad. I put the pad inside one liner and then put another liner inside of the first liner. Keeps everything together, the pad is always underneath you and you get to lay on fleece just like your idea. This worked well with a 20" wide pad, as the liner was 21" wide. with the wider pad like you have, custom made is the way to go.

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    I found this one at wally world a while back it's almost 25" wide so it mostly covers my shoulders, not quite but just enough. Apparently I'm a cold sleeper, as I was cozy with my pad and a 10 degree bag, with only lower thermals, and a pair of ripstop pants, and a fleece pullover at around 34. When/If it ever cools off here some more, I plan on some more backyard trials so I can bail out into my warm bed if need be. I have found that I really enjoyed DIYing as I can custom make what fits my needs. As a bonus I can now also hem my own pants!

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Hey Orion X,

That is a great idea to use for backyard or car camping. Very frugal insulation idea.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    I like it, very simple yet effective.