Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: HF Malware?

  1. #1
    Knotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denville, NJ, USA
    Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    4,448
    Images
    227

    HF Malware?

    Moderators, FYI: Browsing with Chrome I received the message below while accessing the forum:
    -----------------------------
    Warning: Something's Not Right Here!
    www.hammockforums.net contains content from <removed URL>, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
    Google has found malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed, and perhaps try again tomorrow or go somewhere else.
    We have already notified <removed URL> that we found malware on the site. For more about the problems found on <removed URL>, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page.

    If you understand that visiting this site may harm your computer, proceed anyway.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

  2. #2
    Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,298
    Images
    101
    I accessed the site with Chrome (not my usual choice) and got no warnings. I was not logged in when I arrived but I expected that.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  3. #3
    packeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan
    Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Posts
    1,202
    Images
    18
    I also use chrome all the time and no warnings to date.

  4. #4
    Alamosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    CCS
    Posts
    947
    I use Chrome as well and haven't seen that message, but it could be related to a single thread or post.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

    Wood Stove Review Project Thread - http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=46450
    Tracking Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...TZlVUtBNGQtU0E

  5. #5
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Moderators, FYI: Browsing with Chrome I received the message below while accessing the forum:
    -----------------------------
    Warning: Something's Not Right Here!
    www.hammockforums.net contains content from <removed URL>, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
    Google has found malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed, and perhaps try again tomorrow or go somewhere else.
    We have already notified <removed URL> that we found malware on the site. For more about the problems found on <removed URL>, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page.

    If you understand that visiting this site may harm your computer, proceed anyway.
    being a cyberguy dedicated to truth, justice, the American way, and elimination of the furrin cyber-peril, this caught my eye.

    There's cyber-nastiness that can be brought to an innocent site through the advertisements displayed, but HF is pretty thin on that. Hmm.

    I _carefully_ (read sandboxed) had a poke at the greatpremiums site and got exactly the message you did. So it seems that what you see could be explained if you clicked through on something in a post that linked to that site.

    exercised an excellent bit of google-foo that's handy to know, to use google to search HF, I did
    <removed URL> site:hammockforums.net
    and lo and behold it found a posting that embeds an image from that site, in a thread entitled "Cool Ideas!" Indeed, scrolling through that thread, when the browser got to the page containing the posting with this image, that bit of warning popped up.

    The bad actor is post #15. You don't have to click on anything to tickle that site, you just have to visit the HF page that contains that posting.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

  6. #6
    Old Gorge Rat Hawk-eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Posts
    9,808
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    being a cyberguy dedicated to truth, justice, the American way, and elimination of the furrin cyber-peril, this caught my eye...
    Somebody was wearing their Deer Stalker Cap today!

    ... most excellent work sir!

    WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.


    "A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin


    Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream


    Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

  7. #7
    Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,298
    Images
    101
    wicked fast thread editing by the moderators! The aforementioned link has been removed.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  8. #8
    Senior Member Pipsissewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yancey Co., NC - Home of Mt. Mitchell
    Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Posts
    1,691
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    and lo and behold it found a posting that embeds an image from that site, in a thread entitled "Cool Ideas!" Indeed, scrolling through that thread, when the browser got to the page containing the posting with this image, that bit of warning popped up.

    The bad actor is post #15. You don't have to click on anything to tickle that site, you just have to visit the HF page that contains that posting.
    Just to verify without visiting the thread myself (even though I'm on a Mac, I'm paranoid about malware!) the thread was called "cool ideas" ???? NOT "cool set up" CORRECT???? I looked in my browser history and I had read the "cool set up" thread, but not the "cool ideas" thread. Thanks for clarifying and thanks for looking into this, all.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

    ---Leigh Buckner Hanes

    Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

    Surely, God never did.

  9. #9
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    Thanks Grizz. Moved to the detention/detonation/discombulation/disassembly room for disarming...


    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

  10. #10
    Senior Member Les Rust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Athens, TN
    Hammock
    ENO DN--DIY 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE UQ/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Webs/whoopies
    Posts
    924
    Yet another case of HF looking out for the community. Thanks, grizz! My daughter has had malware a couple of times on her college computer--really frustrating!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •