Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20 UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    I was going to say that looks nice and big, but I suppose there's a downside to it being big.

I was wondering if your pattern was a straight rectangle or did you radius the ends or chamfer them to tighten the sides up? The sides seemed loose, but I don't know if that's a bad thing or not.
    "Dyslexic knot unravellers of the world, UNITE!"

Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Gra_factor View Post
    I was going to say that looks nice and big, but I suppose there's a downside to it being big.

I was wondering if your pattern was a straight rectangle or did you radius the ends or chamfer them to tighten the sides up? The sides seemed loose, but I don't know if that's a bad thing or not.
    It's a plain rectangle.... The sides are loose, but it doesn't bother me. I am sort of thinking of adding a drawstring to the head and foot end to gather the fabric and create a foot/head box like the Wilderness logics night owl hammock.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Images
    Nice vid, hikingdad. I look forward to seeing more. HF member videos are my favorite thing about this forum. All the written words and photos don't tell you half as much as a video does about the hanger and his hang.

There is an irrational exuberance about DIY that hasn't taken hold of me fully. I won't make my own stuff unless I can save big bucks, or it's a simple project. And I always factor in, not just the cost of the materials, but the cost of MY time and labor. I try to pay myself at least $10 an hour on DIY projects, though I'm worth more. A lot of times, it doesn't make sense for me to DIY.

Hammocks seem worthy of the DIY effort, as do whoopie slings. However, I don't think I'll be making my own tree straps anytime soon!

Oh, and is hikingdad your trail name? If so, I think we need to get you a new trail name. Hikingdad just doesn't roll off the tongue real well. Don't go on a group hike with me - 'cause I'll be eyeing you the whole time trying to find you a new trail name!

In fact, since you fell in a puddle on the trail, I suggest you call yourself Puddlejumper, or maybe 50inchverticalleap. Just brainstorming here.

Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Nice vid, hikingdad. I look forward to seeing more. HF member videos are my favorite thing about this forum. All the written words and photos don't tell you half as much as a video does about the hanger and his hang.

There is an irrational exuberance about DIY that hasn't taken hold of me fully. I won't make my own stuff unless I can save big bucks, or it's a simple project. And I always factor in, not just the cost of the materials, but the cost of MY time and labor. I try to pay myself at least $10 an hour on DIY projects, though I'm worth more. A lot of times, it doesn't make sense for me to DIY.

Hammocks seem worthy of the DIY effort, as do whoopie slings. However, I don't think I'll be making my own tree straps anytime soon!

Oh, and is hikingdad your trail name? If so, I think we need to get you a new trail name. Hikingdad just doesn't roll off the tongue real well. Don't go on a group hike with me - 'cause I'll be eyeing you the whole time trying to find you a new trail name!

In fact, since you fell in a puddle on the trail, I suggest you call yourself Puddlejumper, or maybe 50inchverticalleap. Just brainstorming here.
    To be honest I just picked it when signing up...didn't realize it would be used that way...but now after a couple of group hangs and everyone telling me my name is lame (and I agree) I think I do need another name....but I'm totally at a loss for what it should be! I liked fronkey's idea for a name....he said he wished he would have picked captain awesome

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    To be honest I just picked it when signing up...didn't realize it would be used that way...but now after a couple of group hangs and everyone telling me my name is lame (and I agree) I think I do need another name....but I'm totally at a loss for what it should be! I liked fronkey's idea for a name....he said he wished he would have picked captain awesome
    Your trail name will probably pick you. When I first signed up for HF, I used fubba28, but I didn't realize they wanted a TRAIL name. I got mine backpacking in Europe. One night at a campfire on a beach in Corfu, Greece, somebody said I looked like the Silver Surfer. I spent six years hiking around Europe and I never heard my real name again. In fact, my trail buddies even addressed correspondence to me as Silver Surfer.

My favorite trail name is Pete the Feet. I've met a couple of them in my time, but the one I knew hiked barefoot.