Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,299
    Images
    101

    Skeeter-Beeter Info

    I just ordered a skeeter-beeter for my daughter to have on this Susquehanna River Rat trip we are planning. I plan on modding the hanging system as some have done to the UL so I can use tree huggers and HH lash system. I am also wondering if it would be easier to snake skin it, or should I use the stuff pocket. On the one hand I like the ability to stretch the hammock out and center it before exposing it to the elements. But I don't know how successful the snake skins would be given the bug net suspension. Understand I don't have the hammock yet so I am not sure what I will be looking at. The SB pro appears to have two lines for the bug net. Is that the setup for the SB as well?

    I do not have a tarp for this hammock and given the fact that we are canoe camping and weight is not a paramount issue, plus it will be in use for all of about a week, I am planning on getting some cheapie poly tarp that I can use to just keep her dry and give her some privacy. What would be a good size for this? I don't want an "island nation" size... but I do want sufficient coverage.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  2. #2
    Doctari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Posts
    2,992
    Images
    30
    A good hammock choice. I love mine.
    go with the snake skins or a stuff sack: Once you add a ridgeline & rings or whatever, the hammock will no longer fit into the attached pocket. The pocket is Just big enough for the hammock with no accessories (cept the hooks). The included ropes are sturdy & do not stretch, but they can damage the trees, is why I no longer use them. I also moved the pocket to the head end for ease of access without having to unzip as much. My zipper lasted about 2000 or so opening / closings before it would no longer work, at all. If you have a problem with it not zipping, just close the slider "gap" a bit (be gentle) with a pair of pliers.
    I have the SB, it had 2 lines (elastic) for suspending the netting. Well, actually it is one line that you double over. I cut my netting to just hang from the single ridge line. Which may explain why the zipper failed, there was no slack in the netting at all, adding stress to the zipper. I'll not do that again. For the lines to work, you need to find 2 sticks to use as spreaders, one above your head, one between about waist to knee level. You MAY want to add a 3rd one where ever it seems to work best. The netting suspensiion shouldn't get in the way of the snake skins.
    I would add a ridgeline as soon as you can, it makes hanging so much easier. I can hang my SB in less than a minute using: a BlackBishop bag a ridgeline, ring buckles & webbing ("tree hugger" type). The underquilt is pre attached & in the BB stuff sack. The tarp takes about 2 min usning figure 9s at the 6 tie points/ If pressed, I can put the whole thing up in under 2.5 min. I have set up (I was REALLY pressed!!) in under 2 min. A 12' X 10 or even a 10 x 8 tarp (standard sizes for poly tarps) will cover her plenty, the hammock is only 8' long & likely with the sag you will have a hammock length of 7' or less. Mine is at a bit over 6.5' hang length.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I just ordered a skeeter-beeter for my daughter to have on this Susquehanna River Rat trip we are planning. I plan on modding the hanging system as some have done to the UL so I can use tree huggers and HH lash system. I am also wondering if it would be easier to snake skin it, or should I use the stuff pocket. On the one hand I like the ability to stretch the hammock out and center it before exposing it to the elements. But I don't know how successful the snake skins would be given the bug net suspension. Understand I don't have the hammock yet so I am not sure what I will be looking at. The SB pro appears to have two lines for the bug net. Is that the setup for the SB as well?

    I do not have a tarp for this hammock and given the fact that we are canoe camping and weight is not a paramount issue, plus it will be in use for all of about a week, I am planning on getting some cheapie poly tarp that I can use to just keep her dry and give her some privacy. What would be a good size for this? I don't want an "island nation" size... but I do want sufficient coverage.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    10
    Doctori (and others),
    Thanks for the review of the SB. I just ordered one (delivery 5-19-08). I have made myself the "$10 test hammock" and don't plan on going back to a ground dweller. I am new to hammocking, so I have a few ?'s if you don't mind. I plan on using my 12'x12' SG tarp. Yes I know it is big, but I want coverage for when it rains here in FL. Also, my son may go with me some, and he is a ground dweller (for now...he'll probably change soon), so the tarp should be large enough for both of us (and gear) to sit in camp and cook if raining.

    1. In reading your post you said the length is just over 8'. On the website it says it is 9'-6". Are you saying the actual length is only 8', or after is this after you set it up?

    2. Also, why do you need the spreader bars? Do you get shoulder squeeze?

    3. Do you have a fixed ridgeline, or do you set it when you do your set-up?

    4. What kind of "tree huggers" do you use? Rings or buckles? Why do you like them with this hammock?

    5. Do you have pics of your set-up in your gallery?

    I have been lurking and gathering info here for a while, so thanks to all for your posts.

    TR

  4. #4
    Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,299
    Images
    101
    I am ditching the stock suspension system for two reasons. First I don't like using ropes, they cut the bark of the trees. For a tarp it one thing, but with the weight load of a hammock, specially with me in it, I want the huggers. Also the method of hooking the "s"-hook into the knotted rope gives you an incremental hanging choice. I want the "infinite" adjustability of the lashing system so that I don't have to be a fussy about the distance between my hanging points. What my daughter will do later on I don't know so I don't plan on making any permanent changes which she can't undo.

    I've been wondering about the spreader bars as well. I assume it is to keep the netting properly positioned. Would tying stake out lines to the net suspension work as well? I don't want to have to prowl around looking for sticks the right length. Hiking I would just figure on using my trekking poles, but as this is canoe camping I won't likely be taking them.

    I'm not sure how to go about attaching a ridgeline but I figure that will be clear once I get the hammock and get it set up.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 05-15-2008 at 14:19.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  5. #5
    Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,299
    Images
    101

    Skeeter-beeter test hang

    I finally couldn't stand it anymore. Two whole days of the hammock in the house and it hadn't been hung yet. My daughter was at a evening function so I said... "tough noogies girl...."

    First pitch I fell backwards on my butt. Not a good hang. Tightened it up a bit. I was reminded of why I hated deep knee bends in gym in high school. I managed to fall somewhat ungracefully to the floor and grab a near by bicycle to help me to my feet. (This is in the basement.)

    Tightened it up... Actually got in it this time. More or less. I had not yet deployed the bug net, but I did manage to lie down. Getting closer. Deployed the bug net and tried some DIY spread bars for the net lines. One worked the other fell off when I tried to get in. No harm done but they need some work.

    This time I actually got into the hammock under the bug net and ;ay down. A bit banana fana for me but not too bad all in all.

    Tightened it up again. (Oh yeah... I replace those silly rope ladder hangers that come with it. Smart move as far as I am concerned.) This time the banana factor was eased up a bit. I was more graceful in and out, although the Boslhoi dancers have nothing to worry about. Success is near.

    Now I will need to set about getting my daughter into it so we can tune it to her. And test run the ATHH test as a tarp for the set up.

    Hopefully that will happen soon.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  6. #6
    Doctari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Posts
    2,992
    Images
    30
    Re #1: Sorry, that was SUPPOSED to say: Hammock is 9' long, with sag it's 7.5 to 8' AFTER set up. Remember that MY sag is likely going to be different for you or nealy anyone else.
    #2 don't apply to me.
    #3 My ridgeline is semi permanently attached. I can remove it fairly quickly if I want, havn't needed to since I got the sag right (after about 2 to 3 weeks of trial & error).
    #4: 1.5" to 2" webbing (I have both, like the 2" as it do slightly less damage to the trees) & at each end of the ridgeline (ridge is Spectra cord) are 2 climbers decender rings aka ring buckles. The webbing is rated at 700 lbs, the spectra at (I think) 1400 Lbs & the rings I don't know, but knowing climbing gear, I bet it's considerable. I like the ring buckles as opposed to tieing on becauuse it is much faster, I can set up the hammock in under 60 seconds if need be, take down is a bit slower as the hammock / underquilt combo gets stuffed & that can't really be rushed. FWIW I use "figure 9s on the tarps 6 tie outs for the same reason. Tarp set up is 2 minutes or less using the 9s.
    #5, sorry, no.
    re cooking under your tarp: you know to be careful; carbon monoxide, setting everything on fire & stuff. I nearly ruined my over quilt a few weeks ago while cooking under my tarp, I was sitting in the hammock, needed to get up for whatever reason & my quilt fell out of the hammock nearly onto my lit stove, My heart stopped let me tell you. The quilt missed my stove by mere inches. SOOO, from now on, stove at head end or higher, quilt safely tucked at foot end & be very very careful getting out
    The 12 x 12 tarp isn't big, its HUGE!! Mine has been heavily modified & it is still WAY BIG! You can sort of see it in this pic: Doctari vs the Snowmen - A little surprise I made for Doctari when we went for an overnight to enjoy the snow. Hammock Forums Gallery



    Quote Originally Posted by Tumblerats View Post
    Doctori (and others),
    Thanks for the review of the SB. I just ordered one (delivery 5-19-08). I have made myself the "$10 test hammock" and don't plan on going back to a ground dweller. I am new to hammocking, so I have a few ?'s if you don't mind. I plan on using my 12'x12' SG tarp. Yes I know it is big, but I want coverage for when it rains here in FL. Also, my son may go with me some, and he is a ground dweller (for now...he'll probably change soon), so the tarp should be large enough for both of us (and gear) to sit in camp and cook if raining.

    1. In reading your post you said the length is just over 8'. On the website it says it is 9'-6". Are you saying the actual length is only 8', or after is this after you set it up?

    2. Also, why do you need the spreader bars? Do you get shoulder squeeze?

    3. Do you have a fixed ridgeline, or do you set it when you do your set-up?

    4. What kind of "tree huggers" do you use? Rings or buckles? Why do you like them with this hammock?

    5. Do you have pics of your set-up in your gallery?

    I have been lurking and gathering info here for a while, so thanks to all for your posts.

    TR
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

  7. #7
    I have a few questions about the spreader bars. Do you have to use them, or can you use a single structural ridgeline to support the bug net? If you use spreader bars, how long are they? Do spreader bars interfere with a storm pitched tarp?

  8. #8
    Doctari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Posts
    2,992
    Images
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by rpettit View Post
    I have a few questions about the spreader bars. Do you have to use them, or can you use a single structural ridgeline to support the bug net? If you use spreader bars, how long are they? Do spreader bars interfere with a storm pitched tarp?
    OH!! Yea, the spreader bars do apply to me, they are to spread the NETTING Well, actually thay spread the elastic suspension cords. In answer to your question: It didn't interfear with my tarp, but I did finaly just do away with them & as you suggest suspended the netting from the ridge line. The netting comes with 2 pairs of loops sewn into it for hanging from the suspension cords, I just cut to pieces 6" or so from the cord & tied the loops together with the cord over my ridgeline. It works OK, but the netting as I have my hammock sag adjusted, didn't really suspend so much. When I get a new Skeeter Beeter, I'm going to try to do it a different way, I just don't know how that will be yet.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •