Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Revelation

Another Noob Question

I have a HH Explorer Ultralite today and I can't say I've spent a great deal of time analyzing the way it's made, but it always seemed the whole "asym" thing was a matter of construction, or in other words, I always thought it was made "asymetrically". But looking at the sticky for a HH clone and another thread on a WBBB, plus some other resources I've found on making a double layer, it seems like they're all just rectangles with the suspension tethered at the center of the ends.

Am I missing something? If I want to create a simple double layer hammock where I can lay mostly flat on a diagonal to the centerline...am I really just sewing up some rectangles and gathering them symetrically on the ends? I understand the tieouts on the sides are sewn on asymetrically to pull the hammock away from your face and feet, but is that it?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/HHEXUL
    Tarp
    Varies by weather
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    At its simplest, yes. As long as you aren't messing with a bugnet, it is a rectangle that is pulled on opposite sides by tieouts.

They are offsetting tieouts about 13" from center (if i remember correctly). Lay will be affected somewhat by various methods of gathering ends, two of the most popular methods are warbonnet style and Hennessey fold.
    "only the paranoid survive" - Andy Grove, Intel

Search engines are your friend. Use "Site:hammockforums.net" in your search string.

Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Revelation
    Quote Originally Posted by ExPXGUY View Post
    At its simplest, yes. As long as you aren't messing with a bugnet, it is a rectangle that is pulled on opposite sides by tieouts.

They are offsetting tieouts about 13" from center (if i remember correctly). Lay will be affected somewhat by various methods of gathering ends, two of the most popular methods are warbonnet style and Hennessey fold.
    Thank you! I like the looks of the Warbonnet style of end gathering, but I have no idea how the two styles affect the lay of the hammock. Can you elaborate on that?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/HHEXUL
    Tarp
    Varies by weather
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    IMHO Warbonnet and Hennessy gatherings would give about the same lay if fabric dimensions were equal. The warbonnet gathering should be easier for a double layer hammock since you wouldn't have to manage folds.

A number of folds used to be used, they usually shortened the corners so there wasn't as much flop. Might visit JustJeff's page at http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html for ideas
    "only the paranoid survive" - Andy Grove, Intel

Search engines are your friend. Use "Site:hammockforums.net" in your search string.

• + New Posts