Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 66
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Zliner w/2QZQ UQP
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Posts
    487
    Images
    7
    I believe the 'ayes' have it. This gives me the confidence to stitch me up some tree straps and tie downs.
    I have a game hoist that with a little rigging will let me test my work with a pretty substantial load before I trust my butt to it.
    I have used the Speedy Stitcher for quite a few repairs over the years and can get a pretty decent looking job so I am going to give it a try.
    I certainly appreciate all the views and opinions.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Posts
    125
    Images
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I believe the 'ayes' have it. This gives me the confidence to stitch me up some tree straps and tie downs.
    I have a game hoist that with a little rigging will let me test my work with a pretty substantial load before I trust my butt to it.
    I have used the Speedy Stitcher for quite a few repairs over the years and can get a pretty decent looking job so I am going to give it a try.
    I certainly appreciate all the views and opinions.
    Good choice. It will be fine.

    Speedy stitcher is perfect for suspension. I've made bombproof treehugger straps with mine. It can be used on everything from leather to canvas, to shoes to... hammock suspension Just because it's old school, doesn't mean it will fail.

    The stitch you get out of it is as solid as stitching with a machine, just takes longer. The heavy waxed thread it comes with will cut through your hand before you can break it.

  3. #23
    Senior Member SGT Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Maryville, TN
    Hammock
    Home made Ghost Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    UCRs, Dutchware
    Posts
    1,743
    Images
    92
    Anyone use it for lighter stuff? I was just thinking this could be good for sewing stuff onto existing packs where you cannot get a sewing machine and that are a PITA to hand sew with a normal needle - like adding on a tie down strap, a mesh pocket, or something like that.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

  4. #24
    Moderator raiffnuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL, Camo Hideaway, ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Posts
    5,329
    Images
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Anyone use it for lighter stuff? I was just thinking this could be good for sewing stuff onto existing packs where you cannot get a sewing machine and that are a PITA to hand sew with a normal needle - like adding on a tie down strap, a mesh pocket, or something like that.
    I have used it for many pack repairs for my dog's pack, and for a few repairs of some of my other packs. It works well, but the stiches are difficult to make nice and neat. I have never had one of the repairs made with a speedy stich fail.

  5. #25
    Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,298
    Images
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Anyone use it for lighter stuff? I was just thinking this could be good for sewing stuff onto existing packs where you cannot get a sewing machine and that are a PITA to hand sew with a normal needle - like adding on a tie down strap, a mesh pocket, or something like that.
    You need to be able to access both sides of the project. You can't blind stitch with it. I suppose you could use it on china silk but it would be kind of like swatting a fly with a sledge hammer.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  6. #26
    Aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ky
    Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Posts
    512
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Anyone use it for lighter stuff? I was just thinking this could be good for sewing stuff onto existing packs where you cannot get a sewing machine and that are a PITA to hand sew with a normal needle - like adding on a tie down strap, a mesh pocket, or something like that.
    I have used many times for Pack repairs, as long as you can get to both sides, no issue. I also recommend passing a bar of soap over the needle to help it slide thru multi layers of the strap.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

  7. #27
    Jsaults's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St.Albans WV
    Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc
    Posts
    1,509

    Late to the post, but let me pile on!

    Hi, My name is Jim and I have been a Speedy Stitcher user since 1969.

    As Sgt Rock pointed out, SS sewing can be ugly, but as long as there are a sufficient number of stitches and you do not damage the webbing the sewn loop WILL HOLD. Back in the day I even made some climbing harnesses with mine. And I am still here.

    SS'ing is an acquired skill, so practice, practice, practice. And pull those stitches tight! If you do not cut into at least one finger skin fold during your first session you are not pulling them tight.

    Jim

  8. #28
    Senior Member SGT Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Maryville, TN
    Hammock
    Home made Ghost Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    UCRs, Dutchware
    Posts
    1,743
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    You need to be able to access both sides of the project. You can't blind stitch with it. I suppose you could use it on china silk but it would be kind of like swatting a fly with a sledge hammer.
    that sounds fine. I was more thinking about places down in the pack where it is so far down, getting that part under the foot of the sewing machine isn't feasible.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

  9. #29
    WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast WV
    Hammock
    DIY
    Posts
    3,689
    Images
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    that sounds fine. I was more thinking about places down in the pack where it is so far down, getting that part under the foot of the sewing machine isn't feasible.
    I've used a lockstitch for that situation, but not with a speedy stitcher, just holding a sewing machine needle by hand. Usually that's been trailside repairs.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Posts
    125
    Images
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post

    SS'ing is an acquired skill, so practice, practice, practice. And pull those stitches tight! If you do not cut into at least one finger skin fold during your first session you are not pulling them tight.
    Word.

    I've used one for boot repairs in the field, which was a logistical challenge, so pack repairs should be a cakewalk. As long as you can get your hands on both sides of the article you're stitching/repairing it'll work fine.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •