Mosquito Jungle
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10 w/Beaks
    Insulation
    DIY SPE w/ccf, etc
    Suspension
    JRB webbing

JRB 8x8 vs. Speer 8x10

I'm considering the JRB and the Speer tarps as an upgrade to my HH ULBA. The trade-offs seem to be the lighter weight and simpler set-up of the JRB versus the bigger coverage and versatility (for use as a regular tarp) of the Speer. Can experienced users of these tarps comment on: coverage in heavy, wind-blown rain re: protection of underquilts; and their reasons for choosing one over the other? Thanks.
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Fishbone,

I just started using the JRB tarp. I had been using a rectangular.

My own reasons for switching:

The rectangular was great, BUT- not only was it heavier, it seemed to catch the wind more, and I've had a couple experiences where, when it was VERY windy, it caught the wind too much and a couple times some of the stakes were torn out. (NOT fun at 3am in the pouring, blowing rain!)

Also, I had more to deal with fighting the sag on the rectangular.

This past weekend I hung out with the JRB in the pouring, blowing rain.
    While I did have condensation spraying me when the wind whipped the tarp,(which I think I could have prevented some of by pitching differently)
    I found the JRB to have excellent coverage- it kept out the blowing rain VERY nicely.

If I were to need to go to ground, the JRB can be pitched in a flying diamond type set up, giving you good coverage as well.

Just my 2 cents,
    Perkolady

Hammock
    Mosquito Jungle
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10 w/Beaks
    Insulation
    DIY SPE w/ccf, etc
    Suspension
    JRB webbing
    Thanks, Perkolady. Your comments are worth at least $1.50 to me! I'm leaning toward the JRB. Based on your comments, I might investigate a custom 9x9 like Neo's SG tarp, but in silnylon. That might take off 1/2 lb. over the coated PU used on the SG.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The problem with a 9x9 from silnylon is finding fabric wide enough to make it in two panels. A small triangle sewn to each side is an easy fix, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Here is a link to a site that offers 72" wide sil. I haven't tried it for myself though.

http://www.owareusa.com/
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Mosquito Jungle
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10 w/Beaks
    Insulation
    DIY SPE w/ccf, etc
    Suspension
    JRB webbing
    Thanks, H.E. looks interesting and I'm just cranking up the sewing machine for some projects!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishBone View Post
    Thanks, H.E. looks interesting and I'm just cranking up the sewing machine for some projects!
    Careful with that. I got my sewing machine out last week and haven't put it away yet. Although I now have a hammock, 4 stuff sacks, hammock sock, snake skins, and bug bivy that I did not have before.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I'm considering the JRB and the Speer tarps as an upgrade to my HH ULBA. The trade-offs seem to be the lighter weight and simpler set-up of the JRB versus the bigger coverage and versatility (for use as a regular tarp) of the Speer. Can experienced users of these tarps comment on: coverage in heavy, wind-blown rain re: protection of underquilts; and their reasons for choosing one over the other? Thanks.
    i had a jacksrbetter tarp 8x8 not a true measurement more like not much more than 7x7.i got rid of that tarp over a year ago neo

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks, Perkolady. Your comments are worth at least $1.50 to me! I'm leaning toward the JRB. Based on your comments, I might investigate a custom 9x9 like Neo's SG tarp, but in silnylon. That might take off 1/2 lb. over the coated PU used on the SG.
    the 9x9 guide gear camo tarp may wiegh more but it is larger and cost almost 50 buck less and is a much better made tarp,i got rid of my jrb tarp over a year ago with no regrets neo

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Neo is always knocking the JRB 8x8. I've never had any problems with mine. The weight is great and the construction has held up well. Even so, JRB recently made a change to their construction so they use heavier thread, don't get loose stitches, and I think it's a double-needle machine so the parallel seams should truly be parallel. I have one of their new stuff sacks and it makes a difference in appearance at least...but I never had a problem with their construction so I can't say if it really makes a difference there. I assume the new tarps are made this way as well. I hope Pan will correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't remember the exact measurements for my JRB, but I think it was closer to 7'6" than 7'. And I can't argue on the price...the SG is cheaper. That's why it's heavier. Just a personal preference on whether you're willing to pay more for a few ounces out of your pack.

I have a write-up of the JRB on my page if you're interested.

I've never used a Speer 8x10 so I can't comment on that. But I alternate between the JRB and MacCat for my trips...if the JRB suits your style, it's an excellent piece of gear.

Another note - I designed the pack cover JRB sells so I have a business relationship with them. It stops at the cover, though - I don't have any interest in their tarps other than as a satisfied user. Use that to interpret my above comments if you think it makes a difference.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast