Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54
  1. #41
    Senior Member Tillamook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tillamook Oregon
    Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    101
    If there is someone who has more knoledge in this material I would be willing to send a small sample to them to take a look at and let us know if it checks out.

    Josh

  2. #42
    Senior Member Tillamook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tillamook Oregon
    Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    101
    Thanks for the link corncob this sounds like it could be similar to the stuff I got but cant say for sure as I would have to see some other materials first hand to sa for sure. Thanks again

    Josh

  3. #43
    Senior Member Corncob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Posts
    403
    Images
    3
    After some more digging, it looks like the material is Bainbridge 1.5 ripstop nylon impregnated with...resin something... I'm not sure how a resin coating compares to a waterproof coating, but I would guess it's not waterproof and just makes it reinforced?

    http://www.sail-making.com/dbimgs/us...te_US_v3.1.pdf (page 224)

    "1.5 Ounce Ripstop Nylon
    The Bainbridge 1.5 ounce Ripstop style is a high sley, tightly
    woven construction stabilized with a resin impregnation finish.
    The 70 x 70 denier construction produces the strength and
    durability. Offered in a full range of colors.
     Balanced medium weight construction providing rugged durable all
    purpose cloth.
     Higher denier yarns, tight construction and impregnation reduces
    porosity and bias stretch"
    http://www.sail-making.com/dbimgs/US...brics%20US.pdf

  4. #44
    Senior Member Tillamook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tillamook Oregon
    Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
    After some more digging, it looks like the material is Bainbridge 1.5 ripstop nylon impregnated with...resin something... I'm not sure how a resin coating compares to a waterproof coating, but I would guess it's not waterproof and just makes it reinforced?

    http://www.sail-making.com/dbimgs/us...te_US_v3.1.pdf (page 224)



    http://www.sail-making.com/dbimgs/US...brics%20US.pdf
    Thanks cob sorry again I didnt do more research and thanks again

    Josh

  5. #45
    Senior Member Tillamook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tillamook Oregon
    Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    101
    So I just got off the phone with the west coast bainbridge office and he said he didnt want to give me any info because they dont deal with the public just sail makers but I explained my situation and that I had found it at a fabrick store and he was confused how she may have accuired it. He said the retail value is any where from 12 to 14 dollars a yard!! LOL So I guess this stuff isnt cheap. Must be some good stuff at that price lol

    Josh

  6. #46
    Senior Member JBizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillamook View Post
    I had read that the light 1.1 was similar to silk, the med 1.5 was more krinkly like wax paper feel and the heavy 1.9 had a canvas feel. I hope it works for you.

    Josh
    This is untrue. 1.5 ripstop (uncoated) is not "krinkly" at all and is in no way a wax paper-potato chip bag feel. I have a Warbonnet blackbird made out of 1.7 and it is NOT cardboard or have a canvas feel and is a million times more silky then what you claimed was plain 1.5 ripstop (and traded me REAL 1.1 for). It is just as silky as the 1.1 only thicker and will hold more weight. I also have several hammocks I've made out of 1.5 and it's nothing like the dollar store purchase you made, and traded me for. You purchased the entire roll, of the stuff you traded me, for the price of the 8 yards of 1.1 I sent you. It's ok that you don't know any better, but it's kind of irritating that you closed the "trade" thread (where you traded me) and then sent me a message telling me you wouldn't be willing to trade back or pay me the difference. You will learn one day that what you sent me was wrong and that your facts about 1.1, 1.5, 1.7 and 1.9 are completely false (no matter what you found on wiki).

    Yes, I'm a little irritated (because I got the short end of the stick). I'm sure you're happy, but telling me that I should have done my research on 1.5 before I made a trade when you don't even know what you're talking about is pretty comical. I simply told you that I wasn't happy and that we could either trade back or you could pay me the difference because you told me AFTER we both had our fabric in the mail that you then figured out it had some sort of "resin" applied to it and if I wasn't happy you would trade me back or make it right. Once I told you that I would prefer to trade back you sent me a PM telling me that you decided you aren't going to trade back and that I should have researched 1.5. I can research 1.5 all day long, but it's not going to tell me anything about what you sent me. What you sent me may be more expensive, IDK, but so is Stainless Steel and I don't want that for gear making. I clearly asked you, "this is not silnylon, correct" because I didn't want coated fabric. What I got is clearly coated and not the "typical" kind of fabric we DIYers use to make gear. If this was waterproof or something it might be a different story, but you already mentioned above that it's not, so I'm left with a non-waterproof resin coated nylon...what could I use this stuff for? It feels like I'm going to get a "paper" cut from it!
    Last edited by JBizzle; 01-09-2012 at 17:57.
    JBizzle
    http://baxpax.org

    Missouri Backpacking and Hiking

  7. #47
    Senior Member Tillamook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tillamook Oregon
    Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
    FYI to the NOOBZ, This is untrue. 1.5 ripstop (uncoated) is not "krinkly" at all and is in no way a wax paper-potato chip bag feel. I have a Warbonnet blackbird made out of 1.7 and it is NOT cardboard or have a canvas feel and is a million times more silky then what you claimed was plain 1.5 ripstop (and traded me REAL 1.1 for). It is just as silky as the 1.1 only thicker and will hold more weight. I also have several hammocks I've made out of 1.5 and it's nothing like the dollar store purchase you made, and traded me for. You purchased the entire roll, of the stuff you traded me, for the price of the 8 yards of 1.1 I sent you. It's ok that you don't know any better, but it's kind of irritating that you closed the "trade" thread (where you traded me) and then sent me a message telling me you wouldn't be willing to trade back or pay me the difference. You will learn one day that what you sent me was wrong and that your facts about 1.1, 1.5, 1.7 and 1.9 are completely false (no matter what you found on wiki).

    Yes, I'm a little irritated (because I got the short end of the stick). I'm sure you're happy, but telling me that I should have done my research on 1.5 before I made a trade when you don't even know what you're talking about is pretty comical. I simply told you that I wasn't happy and that we could either trade back or you could pay me the difference because you told me AFTER we both had our fabric in the mail that you then figured out it had some sort of "resin" applied to it and if I wasn't happy you would trade me back or make it right. Once I told you that I would prefer to trade back you sent me a PM telling me that you decided you aren't going to trade back and that I should have researched 1.5. I can research 1.5 all day long, but it's not going to tell me anything about what you sent me. What you sent me may be more expensive, IDK, but so is Stainless Steel and I don't want that for gear making. I clearly asked you, "this is not silnylon, correct" because I didn't want coated fabric. What I got is clearly coated and not the "typical" kind of fabric we DIYers use to make gear. If this was waterproof or something it might be a different story, but you already mentioned above that it's not, so I'm left with a non-waterproof resin coated nylon...what could I use this stuff for? It feels like I'm going to get a "paper" cut from it!
    Again sorry you werent happy with the trade, you have got your point out and everyone knows the facts now so im not going to host a soapopera on an open forum like im sure you would like to do.

    Again I know this material is still good for gear wether you think it is or not. I made a couple hammocks from it, a few stuff sacks and a small tarp as well so to say its not suitible for gear just isnt true its just not obviously what YOU would call ok to use for gear.

    Also just for info I never closed that trade thread so talk to the mods about that because one of them had to of done it.

    Josh

  8. #48
    Senior Member JBizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    119
    Some have made a hammock out of Elk hide before too, that doesn't mean I want to use it for backpacking. The fact that you sent me something that YOU are ok with doesn't justify an even trade. You got 1.1 oz ripstop nylon, what I got is bull.
    JBizzle
    http://baxpax.org

    Missouri Backpacking and Hiking

  9. #49
    Senior Member Corncob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Posts
    403
    Images
    3
    JBizzle, I understand your frustration although I think it was obvious Tillamook wasn't sure what he had come across and you were taking a big gamble. He did post a close-up that seemed pretty shiny and he also posted a picture of the Bainbridge Sailcloth label with a note about that label.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillamook View Post

    Not sure if one could tell by looking but here are a couple pictures of it up close.
    It seems to have a crinkly consistancy but I have read it has this consistancy at this weight?
    Josh
    I bought some from him and was definitely hoping for something different, but I took the gamble and I'll make do with that I got. That said, I don't think you're necessarily wrong in asking for compensation or to trade back, especially since you traded some quality product for it.


    Tillamook, there is definitely a better way to handle it than "too bad, so sad, should have done your research". I'm not saying that's definitely your line of thinking, but it's easy for it to appear that way. And judging from what I see on these forums, your reputation and your word go a long, long way. And as a fellow noob on these forums, take any opportunity you can to build these up.

    If he did indeed send you a bunch of quality 1.1 ripstop, then you got a heck of a deal on the trade as far as hammock supplies are concerned. Even though the retail on your fabric might be higher, your cost was significantly less. If you're not willing to trade back, consider compensating him a little or if you don't have the cash, find some other way to make it right.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Southernfan6885's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Meridian, MS
    Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
    And judging from what I see on these forums, your reputation and your word go a long, long way. And as a fellow noob on these forums, take any opportunity you can to build these up.
    +1 on this. A lot of members have read this thread now, and if they believe that you told jbizzle that you would trade him back if he wasn't pleased and then you went back on your word, I can promise its likely to stick in their minds and that can really haunt you in the future. You really may want to consider doing at least something to help make the situation right. It's obvious you weren't sure what you had and no one would fault you for that. I don't think anyone would believe you were trying to pull one over on him, but if you told jbizzle he could trade back, you have an opportunity to make this right, and I think it would go a long way toward your reputation to do something since it doesn't look good on you that you ended up with the good end of the deal. Just trying to help you out, take my advice with a grain of salt.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •