Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Benbrook, Texas
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Posts
    172

    Molly Mac Gear IX Underquilts question

    Molly Mac Gear IX Underquilts
    I have a Hennessy Explorer w/zipper option will this UQ fit and can someone give me a review on how well it insulates. I can seem to tell much from the web store would liike to know what colors and can you get more insulation added to make it down to a 30* or 35* UQ?

  2. #2
    Deadphans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, DIY tablecloth, WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    diy, tewa, speer
    Suspension
    whooooopie
    Posts
    1,517
    Hey there. I too have basically the same set up, Expedition soon to be 2QZQ modded. I am about to pull the trigger on a Mally Mac IX Shamu. I saw a thread around here with people claiming the Shamu was good for them down to 30 degrees if I remember correctly, maybe it was even 25 degrees.... Molly Mac also sells IX inserts that claim to bring you down another 10 degrees. So if your going by website temperatures thats 30 degrees with a Shamu and one IX insert.

    I believe they work well on all gathered end hammocks, and I remember watching a video on you tube filmed by the creator where he was with his friends and he said he was going to extend the sides another 8 inches total to hug the asymmetrical design better.

    For me, I plan on using the Shamu and a therm-a-rest which I bet will get me down to 25- 30. Perfect for me for now...till I get more serious about winter hammock camping. I also have a very nice down jacket which I have never been cold in....that will be a great help too.

    I have subscribed to this thread to see more responses with this direct question that relates to me as well. I need to read and research everything before I can make a purchase, it may be a sickness...haha. Takes me forever to pull the trigger to buy something...but with this, I am verrrry close. Safety is off!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Benbrook, Texas
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    Hey there. I too have basically the same set up, Expedition soon to be 2QZQ modded. I am about to pull the trigger on a Mally Mac IX Shamu. I saw a thread around here with people claiming the Shamu was good for them down to 30 degrees if I remember correctly, maybe it was even 25 degrees.... Molly Mac also sells IX inserts that claim to bring you down another 10 degrees. So if your going by website temperatures thats 30 degrees with a Shamu and one IX insert.

    I believe they work well on all gathered end hammocks, and I remember watching a video on you tube filmed by the creator where he was with his friends and he said he was going to extend the sides another 8 inches total to hug the asymmetrical design better.

    For me, I plan on using the Shamu and a therm-a-rest which I bet will get me down to 25- 30. Perfect for me for now...till I get more serious about winter hammock camping. I also have a very nice down jacket which I have never been cold in....that will be a great help too.

    I have subscribed to this thread to see more responses with this direct question that relates to me as well. I need to read and research everything before I can make a purchase, it may be a sickness...haha. Takes me forever to pull the trigger to buy something...but with this, I am verrrry close. Safety is off!
    Thank you for your responds. I am like you I research everything to death and I have taken the safety off also, I just went on the Molly Mac site to order and the UQ's are out of stock. I think I will go ahead and order and wait for the shipment, or as Brett Farve said "maybe I wont"? The reason I am looking at the synthetic, I am allergic to feathers.
    I have some time to wait because I am not a winter, cold weather camper that is why I am only needing a 30* or 40* UQ, it will be late March or April before we get out again, I know 30* is not a cold temperature for Y'all but here in Texas it's it is cold.

  4. #4
    richtorfla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Clearwater,Florida
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, HH Explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:HH hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag,KAQ
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Posts
    1,330
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannytoo View Post
    Thank you for your responds. I am like you I research everything to death and I have taken the safety off also, I just went on the Molly Mac site to order and the UQ's are out of stock. I think I will go ahead and order and wait for the shipment, or as Brett Farve said "maybe I wont"? The reason I am looking at the synthetic, I am allergic to feathers.
    I have some time to wait because I am not a winter, cold weather camper that is why I am only needing a 30* or 40* UQ, it will be late March or April before we get out again, I know 30* is not a cold temperature for Y'all but here in Texas it's it is cold.

    Check out the Potomic from AHE. Its made for a Hennessey. Arrowhead's other quilts are Nice to and will fit as well. They get you to the 30's and you can supplement them with IX stuff or sleep on a thin pad to boost the R factor. I used a truck sun relflector to sleep on and it works surprisingly well too!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Benbrook, Texas
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Check out the Potomic from AHE. Its made for a Hennessey. Arrowhead's other quilts are Nice to and will fit as well. They get you to the 30's and you can supplement them with IX stuff or sleep on a thin pad to boost the R factor. I used a truck sun relflector to sleep on and it works surprisingly well too!
    Thank you, I went to their web and started to order one just a few minutes ago and backed out at the last moment, got all the way to the last step on pay pal and canceled. I have never had so much trouble pulling the trigger on anything before, why now and on this I have no clue. I think I have done to much research and confused myself.

  6. #6
    MacEntyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Jamestown, NC
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Posts
    7,559
    Images
    6
    The Shamu will fit the HH hammocks with zipper mod just fine, and should be good to 40*F for most folks.

    I've inquired to find out when there will be another production run of the Shamu.

    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Benbrook, Texas
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    The Shamu will fit the HH hammocks with zipper mod just fine, and should be good to 40*F for most folks.

    I've inquired to find out when there will be another production run of the Shamu.

    - MacEntyre
    Please let me know when they are instock.

    By adding a 2QZQ UQP that I have all ready ordered will that take the temperature down any?

    Thank you for responding
    Dan

  8. #8
    MacEntyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Jamestown, NC
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Posts
    7,559
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannytoo View Post
    By adding a 2QZQ UQP that I have all ready ordered will that take the temperature down any?
    Another layer of nylon will help a little, and if it overlaps the edges of the Shamu, it will help keep the gaps closed when the wind blows.

    Every little bit helps, Gramma said, when she spit in the well!
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Benbrook, Texas
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Another layer of nylon will help a little, and if it overlaps the edges of the Shamu, it will help keep the gaps closed when the wind blows.

    Every little bit helps, Gramma said, when she spit in the well!
    Mac, so you will know I just pulled the trigger on the KAQ 30* New River. Thank you for your help. I am sorry about not ordering from you but the 30* was what I wanted.

    Thanks again
    Dan

    She is right every little bit helps.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Benbrook, Texas
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Check out the Potomic from AHE. Its made for a Hennessey. Arrowhead's other quilts are Nice to and will fit as well. They get you to the 30's and you can supplement them with IX stuff or sleep on a thin pad to boost the R factor. I used a truck sun relflector to sleep on and it works surprisingly well too!
    I just ordered the New River From KAQ, thank you for you help and suggestion it push me over and that was what I needed.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •