MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling

Tarp Help for an Ultralighter

So I've gone over and over all the options and I decided for my budget and setup I'm planning on going with a small cuben fiber tarp from zpacks. My question is this, for the setup listed below and at my height of 5'3" would you guys reccomend a 9x6 or a 9x7 tarp?

DIY Hammock - 9ft
    Adjustable ridgeline at 85"-100"

Also any advice or suggestions for the best way to set it up would be appreciated. Keep in mind I would be able to order the 6ft a two weeks to a month sooner for my budget. But I am wondering if it would be worth the wait...

Images
    putting ultralight and budget in the same sentence, is like cheap and date in the same sentence. decide what will do what you want in the long run. weather, long distance, winter, backpacking or car camping will play into this.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    Many people think UL and budget go hand in hand, but in this case, I used the word budget to indicate the price range I'm hoping to spend, not an unwillingness or inability to spend. Basically I have a certain ammount of money I get every month that I set aside as my "fun" money. I usually spend it on backpacking equipment and the difference between the two choices is one month's fun money.

In the long term, the extra length might be worth it for comfort but at the same time if my height and setup makes the extra foot unneeded than I'd rather save the weight and the money. Just looking for a bit of advice either way.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I would go with 7' wide. I did the 6' wide tarp on my thru, and while it worked, I would have like to have just a little extra, that is why I made mine 7'.

On the length, 9' will work if you keep the hammock around 7' in length. If you go full 100" length you will probably get wet at times from blow under. I like to keep about a foot of overhang at each end of my hammock.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

go zpacks cuben hammock tarp with doors

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineHiker View Post
    So I've gone over and over all the options and I decided for my budget and setup I'm planning on going with a small cuben fiber tarp from zpacks. My question is this, for the setup listed below and at my height of 5'3" would you guys reccomend a 9x6 or a 9x7 tarp?

DIY Hammock - 9ft
    Adjustable ridgeline at 85"-100"

Also any advice or suggestions for the best way to set it up would be appreciated. Keep in mind I would be able to order the 6ft a two weeks to a month sooner for my budget. But I am wondering if it would be worth the wait...
    I would strongly suggest the zpacks cuben hammock tarp with doors. OK. It's expensive. But it's cuben, so it's ultralight. Now, because it is so ultralight, splurge and get this big tarp with doors. It's still far less weight than silnylon or spinnaker. My tarp, with a continuous ridgeline, plus 8 guylines (4 for the sides and 4 for the doors), in zing-it, weighs a mere 10 ounces in its stuff sack. You could shave off an ounce or two with something smaller, but this big tarp allows you to pitch to the ground and close the doors for the ultimate in storm and winter protection. It's wonderful.

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by motorapido View Post
    I would strongly suggest the zpacks cuben hammock tarp with doors. OK. It's expensive. But it's cuben, so it's ultralight. Now, because it is so ultralight, splurge and get this big tarp with doors. It's still far less weight than silnylon or spinnaker. My tarp, with a continuous ridgeline, plus 8 guylines (4 for the sides and 4 for the doors), in zing-it, weighs a mere 10 ounces in its stuff sack. You could shave off an ounce or two with something smaller, but this big tarp allows you to pitch to the ground and close the doors for the ultimate in storm and winter protection. It's wonderful.
    OK. I've visited the zpacks site. The two tarps you are considering weigh either 3.7 ounces or 4.3 ounces. My zpacks cuben with doors is 6.5 ounces without ridge and guylines. At just 2.2 or 2.8 ounces more compared to the two you are considering, you get massive weather protection, which might be good depending on when/where you are hiking. I'm as much of a gram weenie as anybody, but I didn't hesitate at all on this one. Now, with that said I am hoping to get a MacCat micro made custom in cuben for quick overnight summer kayak camping when I am pretty sure of decent weather. But for most other circumstances, I'll take this big zpacks cuben hammock tarp with doors. Now, it's about $100 more than the tarps you're looking at, but if you use it a lot, you'll forget the pain of that extra $100.

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images

hammock tarp

Zpacks hammock tarp without doors would be an option to consider as well if the hammock tarp with doors is more than you'd like to spend. It's only a little more than the 9x7 and would provide more coverage.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    Ok, thanks guys. I'm looking into a poncho tarp. I might be able to get a bigger tarp with the weight added being justifiable with the double duty. I'll see what dimensions that can come in and factor that in. May just end up going with the 8x10 tarp and add tie outs to create my own doors for full weather coverage...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Something that might be worth doing if you're going to be in lower temperatures (50 F down to freezing) with wet weather is to carry a poncho separate from your minimalist tarp and then use the poncho as a door for it. Aim that end into the wind, and you should be good to go.

This was (apparently) the origin of the Grizz Beak, and I've tried it with my (huge) Hennessy Hex in the second-worst storm I've ever camped in. It works wonderfully.

The reason I mention this for lower temperatures is that a poncho/tarp will allow you to get wet, and at those temperatures, well...it would suck.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    Yeah that is so true. I'm looking at this for more of a 3 season SE/4 season SW setup so I think a hex shape tarp/poncho will work for that here in Ga. I also plan on wearing my DWR wind gear under the poncho in cooler weather to boost it's effectiveness as well as rain mitts that come halfway to my elbow and if needed waterproof gaiters up to my knees but I don't see that as likely to be needed. Also if I need to I can make some GrizzBeaks or a WPB Winter Sock. If I were to need either I'd just use it in tarp mode and bring a proper rain jacket.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast