Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member Tillamook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tillamook Oregon
    Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    101

    What and where to buy chord for prusik??

    I want to make some prusik's for my tarp to the ridge line.

    What size should I use for a prusik on 7/64 amsteel?

    Where is the best place to buy it?

    I was planning on maybe buying some extra for my guy lines off my tarp if it will be ok to use for that too?

    Any tips links or any info is great! I appretiate all the info and help I have recieved so far from all of you! Thanks

    Josh

  2. #2
    Senior Member Tillamook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tillamook Oregon
    Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    101
    I also wanted to get some small figure 9's for the same material if there are any leads on where to buy those as well please. Thanks

    Josh

  3. #3
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    BRAIDED mason line you get from a big box store will work just fine for these applications. Not twisted. BRAIDED. Strong and cheap.

    www.whoopieslings.com can set you up with Figure 9's.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

  4. #4
    Senior Member Slo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Hammock
    WBRR dbl
    Tarp
    Camo WBSF
    Insulation
    DMUL7/BAFH SB
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    2,110
    Images
    24
    http://shop.trailersailor.com/prod.php?13717

    You can buy it by the foot, however much you need. Probably more bang for your buck in a spool which is around 25.00 for 180'
    "I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

    - George Strait

  5. #5
    Senior Member Tillamook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tillamook Oregon
    Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    101
    Thanks for the reply grizz I wasnt sure it would be strong enough but good to know!, Im not sure I have seen the braided but ill have to try the local Ace hardware.

    Thanks slo I may try that but if I can get away with mason line I think I may go with that as I would guess its cheaper and would probably work just as good?

    Thank again

    Josh

  6. #6
    Senior Member dedominick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Poulsbo, WA
    Hammock
    Magna 1.1 GE w/ knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Posts
    408
    Images
    1
    Hey man, just another Oregon hanger chiming in... I found the smallest metal figure nines in a four pack on amazon to be the cheapest, ( but our household is currently benefiting from free amazon mom shipping) not to dissuade you from others avail. through the forum, just another option.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Tillamook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tillamook Oregon
    Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by dedominick View Post
    Hey man, just another Oregon hanger chiming in... I found the smallest metal figure nines in a four pack on amazon to be the cheapest, ( but our household is currently benefiting from free amazon mom shipping) not to dissuade you from others avail. through the forum, just another option.
    Thanks for the info, What is the free shipping you are talking about?

    Josh

  8. #8
    Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Posts
    4,017
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillamook View Post
    Thanks for the reply grizz I wasnt sure it would be strong enough but good to know!, Im not sure I have seen the braided but ill have to try the local Ace hardware.

    Thanks slo I may try that but if I can get away with mason line I think I may go with that as I would guess its cheaper and would probably work just as good?

    Thank again

    Josh
    The braided mason's line should work just fine. Twisted has a tendency to unravel into strands when you cut it (though you can get around this by "cutting" it with a lighter, it still has more of a tendency to do that than its braided cousin). Ace should carry it. If not, one of the other big box stores will (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

    Another thing, and this is a personal opinion (so take it with a grain of salt), is that you want your tie outs on your tarp--including the ones that go to your ridgeline--to be a "firebreak" against the tarp ripping. If you use mason's line, which has a break strength in the 50-lb range, it should break before your tarp rips. Zing-It and Lash-It have break strengths in the 400- to 600-lb range, making them as strong or possibly stronger than your tarp.

    It's easy to replace a broken line in the field, assuming that you carry any kind of cordage with you (and, even if you don't, seven times out of ten, you can just tie a knot to cover it). Repairing a tear in tarp fabric, though, requires sewing (or taping, if you're using cuben) and resealing. A bit more of a pain to do when the weather is coming down.

    YMMV, though.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Tillamook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tillamook Oregon
    Hammock
    No seum at the time
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon soon!
    Insulation
    mummy bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    The braided mason's line should work just fine. Twisted has a tendency to unravel into strands when you cut it (though you can get around this by "cutting" it with a lighter, it still has more of a tendency to do that than its braided cousin). Ace should carry it. If not, one of the other big box stores will (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

    Another thing, and this is a personal opinion (so take it with a grain of salt), is that you want your tie outs on your tarp--including the ones that go to your ridgeline--to be a "firebreak" against the tarp ripping. If you use mason's line, which has a break strength in the 50-lb range, it should break before your tarp rips. Zing-It and Lash-It have break strengths in the 400- to 600-lb range, making them as strong or possibly stronger than your tarp.

    It's easy to replace a broken line in the field, assuming that you carry any kind of cordage with you (and, even if you don't, seven times out of ten, you can just tie a knot to cover it). Repairing a tear in tarp fabric, though, requires sewing (or taping, if you're using cuben) and resealing. A bit more of a pain to do when the weather is coming down.

    YMMV, though.
    Thanks for the reply! Great info and very valid points I appretiate you taking the time.

    Josh

  10. #10
    Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Posts
    4,017
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillamook View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Great info and very valid points I appretiate you taking the time.

    Josh
    No problem. Everybody around here is helpful, so I try to pay it forward.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •