I had another chance over Memorial Day weekend to test out my setup. This time the conditions were a bit more extreme than my first hang a few weeks ago. Since I was a bit uncomfortable my first time out, I knew this trip would require some gear changes. This hike was 3 days 2 nights to Slide Mountain, the tallest peak in the Catskills. Nightly temps dipped into the 30’s with a fairly stiff wind.

Here’s the gear list from my first hang, with an indicator if I (did not take) it this time.

Equipment:
Hennessy Expedition A-Sym
HeatSheet Space Blanket - (did not take)
RidgeRest CCF pad 20x48
Eureka 30 degree Synthetic Sleeping Bag

Clothing:
Polypro long underwear - (did not take)
Polyester short sleeve hiking shirt
Nylon hiking pants
Fleece vest - (did not take)
Wool socks
Fleece hat & gloves

Here’s the list of new items that I brought this time.

Equipment:
A second RidgeRest CCF pad 20x48

Clothing:
Polyester/Lycra Arm and Leg warmers
Fleece long sleeve jacket

This setup worked very well for me. I arranged the 2 CCF pads in a “T” configuration.

And instead of only having thin polypro on my arms, this time I had thicker arm warmers plus the long sleeve fleece jacket (and the extra pad sideways across the shoulders). The first night I climbed into the bag and zipped it all the way up. There was a little challenge arranging the 2 pads, but once in place, they didn’t move. I stayed warm the entire night. When packing up the next morning I was surprised to find the bottom of the sleeping bag damp from condensation. This dampness apparently didn’t affect my ability to stay warm through the night.

For the second night I decided to try using my sleeping bag as a quilt. This worked extremely well. It was much easier arranging the 2 pads without being in the sleeping bag and when everything was in place, pulling the bag over me was simple. Having the fleece jacket on gave me a little buffer between my back and the CCF pad. I didn’t notice any condensation in the morning.

I’ll use this setup going forward. With warmer weather approaching, it will be interesting to see what I stop using to keep from overheating. I can see where this learning process requires at least a year, to get through every season and weather condition, to see what works best. This will be a fun adventure.

Trip Album:

Slideshow