Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a

newbies gear list help

hey guys,

got a bunch of gear, and find i tend to buy stuff that i have items that already accomplish said task. so ima put together a list of the crap i have sorted by its purpose, im hoping i could get some feedback on where mybiggest gaps are...like me looking into another backpack (already have like 3) instead of trying to replace my aquamira tabs with a filter system. thanks!

a few things to keep in mind. im a college kid, i like going decently light but i like robust stuff..used to military gear. also need a list, im not used to packing a loadout without a list. its weird. but if anyone is bored and wants to take a prode at helpin me sort i would greatly appreciate it, already watch abuncha youtubes from shug to those other gorge rats.

ill try to be as exact in the names so its easy to search. i started to add links but thats not functional.

backpack(s):
    Kathmandu 70l+10
    USMC MARPAT ILBE APB03 Corpsman Recon Assault Back pack
    A McKinney external frame...dunno got it from a flea market

sleep system
    HH UL with whoopies and tree straps...missing toggles (wanna turn bag into bishop)
    HH typhoon tarp with stakes from my tent (with snakeskins)
    sleeping pad alps mountaineering comfort series
    0degree synth ledge sleeping bag......bulky as all hell.
    alps mountaineering extreem 3 tent for when i have to group camp

kitchen stuffs:
    coleman 533 duel fuel, a tank of a burner but heavy like one
    1l fuel bottle primus
    coleman max cookware from walmart anodized (using smaller half of set)
    swiss ranger woodgas stove. awesome piece. but afraid to take just a woodburner
    lightmyfire spork
    lighter. dont have ferrous rode yet.
    x(2) 1L canteens one mil plastic swiss w/alum cup, other comercial swiss alum.
    aquiramira tablets

randoms:
    garmin etrex, toiletries, medbag leg rig, pn: 80-0048 nsn pending (yes its huge but its the one thing i wont comprimise on) ar7, kabar, cllapsible woodsaw. head lamp, flashlight.

as you can tell i started to get bored during the randoms. ill try to go back and label better but ima just finish the clothes.

clothes:
    nope sorry they are in a gorilla locker and ive got hungover roomates around me. so that will be later.
    thanks!
    I'm a Hammocker stuck in a tenter's body.....

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    It looks like you have pretty much everything you need to get out and have fun. Unless you are trying to go lighter, and smaller on pack size I think you are set. Now if lighter/smaller pack is what you are after then there are lots of places to improve.

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    hahaha, yep i too have three packs and no filrter system. I thought i was the only one with that afliction. Looks like you've got some good stuff there. The first thing i would recomend is the GSI Duelist. Its a bad *** little cook set that's won backpacker's editors choice so many times, i don't even know. Its light weight and tough. I could go on and on about how much i like that little piece of kit but the bottom line is it's handy and dependable. Get yourself a fire starter, (ferrous rod), they are like $10. Its so satisfying to spark a fire to life with one. Looks cool, feels cool, and by-golly its a life saver of a tool. As far as your stove goes, i'm not familur with that one, but if its big and heavy than its takin up space and energy that could otherwise be used to carry foods and whatnot. I personally use an alcohol stove made from a beer can. Its light and does good job. Its not verydurrable and kinda slow. There is the traingia stove, made out of brass that a lot of people like. Check ebay for butain backpacking stoves. I picked up one for like $18 used. They're tiny, light and fuel efficiant. These little things can get water boiling within minutes. You can get the butain cannisters right at walmart too. They don't like the cold though. I don't know i've rambled my fair share. Hope that helps some, or at least gets ya lookin in the right dirrection.

Hammock
    DIY HH clone sorta
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images
    What kind of camping are you doing? Serious backpacking? Car camping? I would suggest changing out the stove for sure. One of the alky ones, or an esbit is a cheap alternative to get started. Other than that, you might want to think about ditching the pad/bag and go for an underquilt/topquilt. The AR7 and Kbar seem a bit overkill to me for your average trip, but to each his own. So as far as a list, I think you got a good start here. You just might want to reevaluate some of the gear and think about if you want to get lighter and plan on how to do that.
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    looking at your list it's hard to figure out what your looking to do
    if you plan on doing backpacking on set trail like the AT ditch the AR7 and all the survival stuff your not going to need it ... that stuff is great for bushwacking or survival but on the trail your not going to find any use for them IMO so it will end up being dead weight ...

as for other gear stove... you can make an alky stove for free out of some cans and knock a few lbs off your weight right there
    being your a collage kid with no money the other gear you have will work for now... i would save up and replace stuff as you go like UQ and TQ maybe a lighter pack stuff like that or even learn to sew get a used sewing machine and make your gear
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    If your stove is huge and heavy, you can get a cheap ($25) coleman cannister stove at walmart and you'll be able to do any cooking you want on it- eggs, pancakes, burgers- whatever. That's something you can't easily do with a beercan alcohol stove. If you just are boiling water for dehydrated food the alcohol stove will work and they are super cheap to make.

Add food to your list and you'll at least survive a weekend. Don't forget some sort of rain gear if it's a possibility. Camping wet is no fun and can risk survival.

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a
    how much am i looking at $$ for a tq/uq setup? side note how long can applebutter stay good for on a trail? can anyone point me in the right direction like if that jacksrbetter nest is the only model for a bottom entry hennessy? and how is it?
    I'm a Hammocker stuck in a tenter's body.....

Hammock
    HH expidtion Zip mod #4
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajamba
    Insulation
    0* bag+HHSS
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling+biner
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefields181 View Post
    hahaha, yep i too have three packs and no filrter system. I thought i was the only one with that afliction. Looks like you've got some good stuff there. The first thing i would recomend is the GSI Duelist. Its a bad *** little cook set that's won backpacker's editors choice so many times, i don't even know. Its light weight and tough. I could go on and on about how much i like that little piece of kit but the bottom line is it's handy and dependable. Get yourself a fire starter, (ferrous rod), they are like $10. Its so satisfying to spark a fire to life with one. Looks cool, feels cool, and by-golly its a life saver of a tool. As far as your stove goes, i'm not familur with that one, but if its big and heavy than its takin up space and energy that could otherwise be used to carry foods and whatnot. I personally use an alcohol stove made from a beer can. Its light and does good job. Its not verydurrable and kinda slow. There is the traingia stove, made out of brass that a lot of people like. Check ebay for butain backpacking stoves. I picked up one for like $18 used. They're tiny, light and fuel efficiant. These little things can get water boiling within minutes. You can get the butain cannisters right at walmart too. They don't like the cold though. I don't know i've rambled my fair share. Hope that helps some, or at least gets ya lookin in the right dirrection.
    I will say you are right on the money on all of what you stated. My set up is slightly different since i usually dislike alky stoves unless i am being very very pack concious. I use a gsi kettlist and pocket rocket. Go with get jetboil canester fuel for it is the only one that isn't too buggy in the cold. My dad uses the soloist which is great all around cookset for one and pushing two people. Group camping i would go with the duelist and that is a wonderful set too. Everyone here does things a little different and that is one thing i love about HF. My suggestion is do some car camping and short backpacking trips to figure out the kinks in your system, but you have a solid starting car camping gear on route to other things. Go out and have fun for now.
    Eagels may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked through jet engines!!

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Quote Originally Posted by Ears View Post
    how much am i looking at $$ for a tq/uq setup? side note how long can applebutter stay good for on a trail? can anyone point me in the right direction like if that jacksrbetter nest is the only model for a bottom entry hennessy? and how is it?
    almost any under quilt will work with the bottom entry HH

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    yeah, any uq will do w/ bottom entrance. you can carve toggles out of 1" trail sticks. measure all your gear and enter it into a spreadsheet - you'll have a better understanding what to pack... i scrutinize all triple digit items (in g) for starters... keep safe above all!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast