Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    FWIW...

"Test samples were consistent for breaking strengths and exhibited a single failure mode. The Whoopie Sling broke at the exit point of the adjustable tail with the butt splice."

Quoted from this paper.
    I am a little confused on how the whoopie was attached to the devices, meaning how sharp was the radius. If the radius was more than what we typically use and if that would make the weak point being located at the bend for us? Especially when we attached a whoopie to another piece of Amsteel, that is a tight radius.

I think I read that the radius should be x amount of the diameter of the rope, if this is true, then would a larger diameter rope have a weaker spot at the same radius if it is less than the x of the diameter? Hmmm. Oh well, for me, it is just academics, since my 7/64 holds just fine.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
    I am a little confused on how the whoopie was attached to the devices, meaning how sharp was the radius. If the radius was more than what we typically use and if that would make the weak point being located at the bend for us? Especially when we attached a whoopie to another piece of Amsteel, that is a tight radius.

I think I read that the radius should be x amount of the diameter of the rope, if this is true, then would a larger diameter rope have a weaker spot at the same radius if it is less than the x of the diameter? Hmmm. Oh well, for me, it is just academics, since my 7/64 holds just fine.
    I just saw this info a few days ago and can't find it now. It was something like three times the rope diameter was the minimum, and bigger is better.

It's one of the reasons I have stayed away from soft-shackles and some of the hardware on the market to connect a whoopie sling.

Obviously our uses typically have enough safety factor built in that hangers are getting by with many less then ideal setups.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 01-25-2012 at 17:06.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    All rope/cord will have a weak spot, particularly one that has been sliced, diced, threaded and looped like a whoopie has. Still, I am with JerryW and Rain Man on this one. You can tow a truck with 7/64 AmSteel (not that I recommend doing so). Even with a few of the lines pulled out and strength reduced, it's hard for me to see it breaking under normal conditions with a 250 lb. load. If you fear it will, go with larger diameter AmSteel as Rain Man says.

I think your premise is a solution looking for a problem, and I say this not to be disrespectful, but to give some perspective on it. The line may have a weak point, but not so weak as to make it susceptible to a hang.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. That being said, if the weakest link is plenty strong enough then maybe the rest of it is overkill. Even if the strength was cut in half, you would still be fine. I still would love to see you come up with something though.
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12