HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The over cover is a cold weather piece of equipment. In my opinion it would not be useful in the mid year months. I use mine when it gets below freezing by a considerable amount. It works by trapping radiant heat from your body and breath and by adding an additional wind barrier to the system.

You would be much better off with good top/bottom insulation with the addition of a balaclava or hat if needed. At least that's my advice. I will add the Super Shelter is a touchy piece of kit. I have good luck with it plus base layer and 0* bag. (12*F) Others have found it gives them Cold Butt Syndrome as high as 40-50* F so make sure you do some testing before you get into a situation where you would not have recourse to a warm alternative.
    Gotta agree with this...always test things out from the safety of Ft Livingroom before you take it out with no backup on the trail. Test hangs in the backyard or someplace where you can car camp and evac if things go south is always a good idea with new/unfamiliar gear.

Like RamblinRev said...the HHSS (overcover, undercover, underpad) are a source of debate here often.

I used mine two weekends ago in temps down to 22F with 30-40mph winds, for two nights. This was in conjunction with a 20deg sleeping bag, fleece liner, and poncho liner along with the undercover/underpad/space blanket combo. I was quite warm, but many others have had issues at those temps or even higher.

One other thought...post for a bit here on the forum, see if there are any forum members near where you live...perhaps even a "hang" in your area that you could attend and try out all sorts of gear.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I recommend that you go to a hang in your area so you can check out some different set ups. Tenters are always welcomed and we hangers love to show off our gear and offer advice.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I have used an overcover at 50 deg. It is not just for below freezing. If you are having condensation issues tuck up a bit to expose mesh by your face to move more fresh air.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'll go against the tide and say that the overcover may not be a bad thing. But, only because you mention going "out west". In the dead of summer, the dog days, once you get up to altitude things can get very cool at night. I haven't gone out during freezing conditions during the summer months, but my girlfriend generally carries a winter quilt set when we head up to the mountains.

But yeah, if temps are above, say, 45°F, then the overcover is going to present some condensation issues. A good set of quilts will probably be a better option, but the overcover is much, much, much, much less expensive. Just be cautious with its use when temps are borderline.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Just thought I'd add...you might want to consider the Claytor Jungle hammock if you are on a budget. For about $130 you get a real solid hammock and a tarp. They are also good for taller folks. They are the Ford/Chevy of the hammock world IMHO.

Miguel

Hammock
    DIY HH clone sorta
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images
    Are you just needing the hammocks or are you looking for complete outfits? What part of the AT are you planning?

Not having any experience with sewing *ahem* thread injecting until I tried to make my own hammock. There is room for improvement of course, but I've been hanging on my rig for over a year now. Trust by the time you got to the third one you'd be a pro. I guess what I'm saying is that even if you had to by the sewing machine, you'd still come out significantly cheaper. My rig with the tarp only ran me about $100. I guess all I'm saying you may not want to rule it out DIY completely after you crunch the numbers.
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

Images
    You might be right on the sewing thing. Hanging is costly even more if you want to stay warm. VA is the plan. Gonna try and do about 60 to 75 miles. A weeks worth give or take a few days. Counting down for retirement so we can plan longer trips.

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have to second what thepikey said about sewing. The first time I ever used a thread injector, I made a DIY hammock. The seams may not be very straight, but I've slept in it dozens of nights, and it hasn't unraveled yet! And, I have to admit, there's a certain pride in making your own gear that becomes sort of addictive.

Peace,
    David

Hammock
    Unkown so far
    Tarp
    Unkown so far
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTurtle View Post
    i agree with yall wanting to do things as a family i just wish that my family liked stuff i did.
    BT
    Your not alone on that
    I might be a Danish, but I am low on cal's

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12