Thread: Which Tarp?

Which Tarp?

Hey guys I'm new here. I'm looking at getting the blackbird double 1.1 and I was wondering which tarp to company it with. I live in south Louisiana and usually pack in Arkansas in fall, winter, and spring (to hot to pack in summer). I was looking at the diamond and edge tarp. My main concern with the diamond tarp would be not enough cover during a strong downpour. I feel I would have more options with the edge, but if you guys think I would be fine with the diamond I would like to save a few ounces.

Thanks Jbennett

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I have had my WBBB in a torrential downpour for hours with a 10 x 10 rectangular tarp. It was raining straight down with very little wind and I stayed perfectly dry. If windy, it might not have been as dry. With a diamond, you are going to be more vulnerable to anything horizontal.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I would say go with the Edge tarp. More horizontal coverage and more stable in wind. The Edge is 2.5 ounces heavier so if you go with it you can save 3 ounces elsewhere and go with the single layer 1.7 instead of the double layer 1.1 if you are in the weight range. Just a thought.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL,HH Scout Zip (son's)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    3S UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies - a must!
    For me, bigger is better. I have the Superfly. It has doors if I need them, I can set it up in porch mode to hang out () in the rain while cooking, reading, or what not. No way am I getting wet when properly pitched!

Yes it is heavier, but I'll save that weight elsewhere (maybe even on dry vs. wet gear for the hike out.)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Go with the Edge. It is a wonderful tarp.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by The Weezer's Dad View Post
    For me, bigger is better. I have the Superfly. It has doors if I need them, I can set it up in porch mode to hang out () in the rain while cooking, reading, or what not. No way am I getting wet when properly pitched!

Yes it is heavier, but I'll save that weight elsewhere (maybe even on dry vs. wet gear for the hike out.)
    2nd the SF. I had a JRB 10'x11', but now I have 2 SFs. Nice to close off the ends in the wind/rain/cold.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ- MacCat
    Insulation
    Leighlo, JRB MT 4
    Images
    I have the WB big mamajamba (Same size as the superfly) love it. My first ever hang it poured. I stayed nice and dry and I had no clue what I was doing.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Images
    The obvious answer is you need both a small and a large tarp

I made a tarp very similar to the edge for my blackbird and it covers just beyond the hammock all around. That means, in a rainstorm, I need to button that tarp down just off the top of the hammock. This is the tarp I take on trips when it's not supposed to rain. It protects me from dew, bird droppings and it will keep me dry in a storm although I would be confined to laying in the hammock.

I have a very large tarp that I take on trips when the weather is variable or I know it's going to rain. No matter how badly I set it up, it will keep me dry. I can hang out under it in porch mode. But it's heavier and takes up more space.

I made a diamond tarp once and I never use it. I just don't like the long, unsupported edges that shape creates. Many do fine with a diamond though.

The obvious choice for your 1st tarp would be the larger, more versatile one. But, don't think that it will stop there!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"