WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly w/doors
    Insulation
    WInc and Burrow
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Land, I'm not surprised to see that you're active on advrider too. How you got username "Land" on both is a mystery though.

I'm also hppyfngy on there too and I live near Afton, VA at the beginnings of the BRP and the Skyline Drive.

Shout out when you're in the neighborhood!
    I'll definitely give you a holler when I'm headed up that way. I'm Land on quite a few forums. It's even on my dryben lice-uns!

Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Your trip with Flat Henry is my favorite.
    Thank you, ma'am! That was a fun trip, and the trip report was fun to do. I still have the Landito Bandito® hammock in case Flat Henry needs another adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Balkan boy View Post
    Land,
    Nice trips you had there. It's good to see you and your wife always smiling.

I have an itch for a longer journey.
    I tried yesterday but didn't get very far.
    She and I do have fun -- and she's very supportive of my motorcycling and hammocking.

I'm jonesin' for a trip right now. I ride pretty much every day, but I need to ride somewhere and hang my hammock!

You just need some knobbies on your Versys. (Great color, BTW.)

Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UG
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
    +1. My vote for a subforum for MCists, like the one for Paddling.
    Whoa think I almost killed this thread ;^)

+1
    Holy cow, this thread hit page 10 since Jan 31st. I for one had no idea
    HF had this many riders. I'm enjoying what others ride / pack / hang / trip reports.
    I feel like Shrek when he discovered other ogre's We also suffer from gear
    addiction. Where else can you find that next greatest thing you did'nt
    know you could'nt live without. Preferably from a cottage indus..

Moving this to the basement, to a subforum is proaly a good idea. But non
    donating members wont be able to join in, and lurkers wont see it. The more
    the merrier in my book.

Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Images
    I do not advocate moving this thread, I just have to admit seeing NCPatrick's point and I understand the reasoning of the mods for keeping everything hammock-centric.

But I think it's very true that a lot of hammock campers ride, or maybe a lot of riders hammock... I know I came here originally because of recommendations by other riders and my desire to get my packed gear down as small as possible for long trips.

I then found how much I loved the hammock and this community.

Puhleeeze don't send us to the chokey...

Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy. - Randy

TDStand Instructions

TDStand Disclaimer! I'm Not Kidding!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Puhleeeze don't send us to the chokey...

This will end up in the basement but at least the basement here ain't like the basement at ADV.

Hate to be the nag y'all but the first floor of this site is for hammocks. If we don't control the topic drift it will wind up in Donating Member nether-land and those of you who don't have the decoder ring will only be able to wonder where it went.
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB BigMamaJamba
    Insulation
    Kick ass quilt:JBR
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE MSH
    I started the thread and dont really mind either way, the only reason i became a donating member was cause a thread was moved and boy am I happy it did I love being a donating member maybe it will push others to helping out and doin the same
    Ty

Hammock
    UK Woodsman, HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    whoopie,WB adj web
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    This will end up in the basement but at least the basement here ain't like the basement at ADV.

Hate to be the nag y'all but the first floor of this site is for hammocks. If we don't control the topic drift it will wind up in Donating Member nether-land and those of you who don't have the decoder ring will only be able to wonder where it went.
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntoneTY View Post
    I started the thread and dont really mind either way, the only reason i became a donating member was cause a thread was moved and boy am I happy it did I love being a donating member maybe it will push others to helping out and doin the same
    +1 Except I didn't start the thread.

Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Images
    Hammock.

If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

TDStand Instructions

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Shangri-La
    Insulation
    motoport, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I agree that the focus on hammocks, regardless of where this thread goes. The "real bike/biker" crap can stay in someone else's basement. I can go elsewhere to read how to make coffee in the morning or why motoport gear is the best. ;-) Lol.

At the same time, it would be nice to have an area similar to the paddling area. Not that with tags, good headings and google we can't do this already, but an area makes it more inviting and builds community. This subtopic could lead to discussions around the specific challenges to two-wheel hammock camping, pics of hammocks with bikes, pack lists, and ride & hang reports like Land's. Also lists of hammock and motorcycle friendly campgrounds and events.

So, back on topic, here are a few questions I've had over the years:

What are the different needs between hammock campers who ride and those who (a)hike or (b)auto-camp? How do these differences impact our gear choices and packing methods?

What are the different needs between riders who hammock and those who tent ?

What items can pull double duty on a bike and hammock, and how? (e.g. Rock straps, warmnsafe gear, bike cover vs extra tarp, whoopie slings as tie downs, armor as sleeping pads)
    Last edited by SnoreMachine; 02-07-2012 at 15:31. Reason: learning type using tapatalk and fixing auto-"corrected" errors.
    "While he lives, he must think; while he thinks, he must dream." --Isaac Asimov (The Complete Stories, 1990)

Hammock
    HH UL bpk
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Remember, the bike can hang one end of the hammock!

(particularly if it's the right bike)

Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
    So, back on topic, here are a few questions I've had over the years:

What are the different needs between hammock campers who ride and those who (a)hike or (b)auto-camp? How do these differences impact our gear choices and packing methods?

What are the different needs between riders who hammock and those who tent ?

What items can pull double duty on a bike and hammock, and how? (e.g. Rock straps, warmnsafe gear, bike cover vs extra tarp, whoopie slings as tie downs, armor as sleeping pads)
    All of this seems very specific to the individual, right? Cruisers, trikes, those towing, etc. have a lot of room to carry. Practically like a car camper. They might not need a bear bag, but they're usually restricted to campgrounds like car campers would use.

If I'm on my V-Strom, I can carry a lot, but if I take my DRZ400 out for a weekender, I can get away with very little. And unlike the big bikes, I can get far into the back country and away from campgrounds.

I can't think of much of my gear that does double duty though. My sheepskin seat cover is mighty warm and I use it in the hammock under my torso.

As far as riders who hammock vs. tent, I haven't made any changes personally in what I carry. Actually if it's a longer trip, I'll take both tent and hammock just in case. The hammock takes up so little room...

(any gram weenies reading this must be rolling their eyes...)

TDStand Instructions