DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Big Daddy Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF/
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling

First DIY project.

So I am new to hammocks and still haven't even done a overnight hang yet, but i decided to jump in head first. I have been planing on making a 11' by 10' hex cat cut tarp. And my nylon (plan on making my own sil) just came in today!

Well i was a little too excited and got right to cutting. I had already made templates for the cat cuts and I kinda just laid everything out and started cutting without double checking any measurements (Stupid!).

When everything was cut i went and measured what i had and somehow the width ended up being 51" wide instead of the 60" I planned on. So it looks like the 11' by 10' tarp i was planing on will end up being a 11' by 8' tarp!

I'm a pretty optimistic guy so... My tarp will be lighter then i had planned!! Woot! I just hope this will still be enough to keep me dry and comfortable.

This will also be my first time using a thread injector but my mom has been taking sewing classes at joann fabrics so I'll be picking her brain to figure this all out. Once i start getting sewing ill try to keep this thread updated with pictures of my progress.
    Look to this day: For it is life, the very life of life. In its brief course lie all the verities and realities of your existence. The bliss of growth, the glory of action, the splendour of achievement are but experiences of time.

For yesterday is but a dream and tomorrow is only a vision; And today well-lived, makes yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this day; Such is the salutation to the ever-new dawn!
    -Kalidasa

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I also subscribe to the "measure once cut twice" school of thought. Good luck on your project. Can't wait to see what you've come up with.
    and then

Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Good luck on the project. I have a 10' x 8' tarp for summer and its fine for me. Even use my OES micro steadly!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Images
    The good news is your tarp will be plenty big enough to keep you dry and, like you said, you saved weight. I also measure once and cut twice. Actually, I think tarps are deceptively hard. They look very straightforward but seem to always present challenges to me.
    Last edited by MAD777; 02-02-2012 at 21:02.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Big Daddy Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF/
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    Thanks everyone! After thinking about it more I'm confident the size won't be a problem at all.

Thinking ahead though, will another layer of 1.1 nylon be enough to reinforce the tie outs? Searching the forums it looks like most people use a heavier nylon for the reinforcements like 1.5 or 1.7.
    Look to this day: For it is life, the very life of life. In its brief course lie all the verities and realities of your existence. The bliss of growth, the glory of action, the splendour of achievement are but experiences of time.

For yesterday is but a dream and tomorrow is only a vision; And today well-lived, makes yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this day; Such is the salutation to the ever-new dawn!
    -Kalidasa

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    11x8 is huge. I would celebrate a happy accident and move on...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Images
    I use 2 layers of 1.1 to reinforce my tie-outs.

I cut both layers in identical pie shaped pieces. I then sew the tow "rounded" edges together, then turn them inside out such that the stitches are hidden inside. I then sew the two layered reinforcement onto the corner of the tarp, all around the reinforcement's edges.

While I don't edge my entire tarp with grossgrain, I do use 3/4" grossgrain for about 4" from each corner, which matches the sides of my reinforcement patches.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Big Daddy Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF/
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    Well, I started the sewing today and got almost everything done. I just need to do the tie outs and reinforcements for the corners.

I was really surprised at how easy the flat felled seem was. And how difficult it was to do the rolled hem. I thought it would be the other way around! I had a lot of trouble trying to keep the hem rolled right with the cat cuts.

And thanks mike for the tip on the reinforcement's I ended up doing a little variation on what said. I cut two equal triangles and sewed them together leaving just enough room to turn it inside out then i just sewed that triangle right to the corner. Seemed to work pretty well.

I added a picture of the tie out. Definitely not the prettiest stitching but it'll work and i'm happy with it so far. Tomorrow i'll finish the corner tie outs and get a few pictures of it set up.

After that all that's left will be to make the the nylon to silnylon but i'm definitely going to do a few test pieces before i try the tarp I don't want to mess up all that hard work!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

-Kalidasa

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Your tarp tie-outs look good. They should be plenty strong.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Big Daddy Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF/
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    I got all of the sewing done today. Going out later to get rope for the guy lines so i can set it up to take some pictures. Total weight 7.8oz (i'm guessing it will be more like 10oz once i coat it in silicon).

I plan on using a 4-1 ratio of mineral spirits and clear silicon, dunking the entire tarp in the solution and kneading it up a lot to make sure to get all the air bubbles out. then hanging it up and wiping off all the excess and then let it set up to dry.

From what i've looked at that seems like the best way. Am i missing anything? Any other tips or advice?

-Kalidasa