Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    It's a selective morality. As I pointed out, "we" don't see much concern about the goodness of those who provide our oil.
    FB
    How am I going to help combat the problem of middle east oil on hammock forums? What does middle east oil have to do with hammocking?

Narwhalin,

I'm happy with manufacturing information just being available in this great forum/site. That whole concept "think globally, act locally" extends to purchasing decisions. Petroleum is too mixed up for me to discern, hammocks and their manufacturers can and should be easy to figure out. Citing an abstract conundrum as a mitigating fact or excuse, hardly lessens the immediate one; I was going to ask the same question you just did.

Rick
    Last edited by daibutsu; 06-08-2008 at 18:35.

OK. So you thought the oil example was a poor example. Should we boycott Kansas products because of the Education Board's inane (IMO) evolution ideas or boycott Maryland because it was founded for people whose religion is different from mine. Japan for its whaling? Canada because its flooding our lumber market? The U.K. because they're taking their troops out of Iraq? France for everything? How about Montana for shooting down a third or more of the Yellowstone bison herd this winter?

The point is, in trade-related decisions, morality is not only unevenly applied, it's also unevenly defined. There are huge issues with the government of China and I would never want to defend it. But there also have been huge steps forward since the 80's. Today's China is much changed from what it was 30 years ago and international trade can take much of the credit for the supposed liberalization within that country.

Boycotting a people's livelihood because of disagreement with government policies is a difficult decision and usually ineffective action...and one that we in the U.S. should be very grateful isn't widely practiced.

FB

Images
    OK. So you thought the oil example was a poor example. Should we boycott Kansas products because of the Education Board's inane (IMO) evolution ideas or boycott Maryland because it was founded for people whose religion is different from mine. Japan for its whaling? Canada because its flooding our lumber market? The U.K. because they're taking their troops out of Iraq? France for everything? How about Montana for shooting down a third or more of the Yellowstone bison herd this winter?
    Again, tell me what I can do about this ON HAMMOCK FORUMS...the forum about HAMMOCKING, and I will be happy to do anything I can!

The point is, in trade-related decisions, morality is not only unevenly applied, it's also unevenly defined. There are huge issues with the government of China and I would never want to defend it. But there also have been huge steps forward since the 80's. Today's China is much changed from what it was 30 years ago and international trade can take much of the credit for the supposed liberalization within that country.
    We are not talking about trade. We are talking about hammocks.

Boycotting a people's livelihood because of disagreement with government policies is a difficult decision and usually ineffective action...and one that we in the U.S. should be very grateful isn't widely practiced.

FB
    If you call being a slave livlihood (this is literal doublethink!), and think that sweatshops are justifiable, I would say the matrix officially has you! What do you think, Neo?!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    Again, tell me what I can do about this ON HAMMOCK FORUMS...the forum about HAMMOCKING, and I will be happy to do anything I can!
    FYI -

In the late 1920s and the early 1930s, chemists at the DuPont Company first produced nylon by combining chemicals they extracted from coal, water, air, petroleum, natural gas, and agricultural by-products.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    FYI -

In the late 1920s and the early 1930s, chemists at the DuPont Company first produced nylon by combining chemicals they extracted from coal, water, air, petroleum, natural gas, and agricultural by-products.

And thus, we get the criminalization of marijuana due to who DuPont was trying to replace: hemp. Hemp is a natural fiber that does not contain THC like it's cousin, marijuana. It is a very useful plant that can made into many different things, and would thus compete with the products that companies would like to sell us. I kind of thought that FB would bring this one up!

It is funny when I mentioned that I was making my hammocks out of ripstop nylon to a friend, he started this tangent about hemp! He did a pretty large research project about the subject in school, and informed me of some things about the propaganda used to justify the banning of hemp. It would sure be nice if hemp were allowed in the market, so our farmers could grow something other than corn and soybeans!

Is there a thread assessing the different fabrics that the companies are using? I think it is threadworthy!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    And thus, we get the criminalization of marijuana due to who DuPont was trying to replace: hemp. Hemp is a natural fiber that does not contain THC like it's cousin, marijuana. It is a very useful plant that can made into many different things, and would thus compete with the products that companies would like to sell us. I kind of thought that FB would bring this one up!

It is funny when I mentioned that I was making my hammocks out of ripstop nylon to a friend, he started this tangent about hemp! He did a pretty large research project about the subject in school, and informed me of some things about the propaganda used to justify the banning of hemp. It would sure be nice if hemp were allowed in the market, so our farmers could grow something other than corn and soybeans!

Is there a thread assessing the different fabrics that the companies are using? I think it is threadworthy!
    I'd love to make a hammock out of hemp fabric and rope - although I'd have to watch out for camp fires and hippies having withdrawals.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I'd love to make a hammock out of hemp fabric and rope - although I'd have to watch out for camp fires and hippies having withdrawals.
    ROFL!

I am starting a new thread about hemp, as it is off-topic. I also want to make a thread or possibly an article regarding different fabrics of different hammocks that is comprehensive. Also, I would like to include a discussion of different fabrics and their charachteristics and best applications. That way, when someone doesn't have a clue (like myself at this time!) they can be pointed in that direction.

So much hammock stuff to do...so little time! --official hammock nerd motto 2008...

Images
    Warbonnet has been added to the list...made in the USA, and he says it should be coming soon. I can't wait to see your gear, Brandon!

Just did google search, saw info. about warbonnet at trailjournals.com. Jenny Holliday had an interesting, and well informed perspective. Looks great!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast