Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    ggreaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kingston, ON Canada
    Hammock
    HH DJXL/DIY
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HHDB/Klymit/KAQ/IX
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutch
    Posts
    300
    Images
    38
    As long as the hammock fits your comfort / weight / performance requirements, who cares where it's sewed?
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

  2. #22
    fishbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jamesburg, NJ
    Hammock
    Bias Weenie
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Mamba
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Posts
    2,601
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    As long as the hammock fits your comfort / weight / performance requirements, who cares where it's sewed?
    You would be surprised. There are individuals who like to support American Manufacturing and will only buy American Made products. It's their preference and right to do so. So it does make a difference to some. We have a thriving Cottage Industry that we like to support, so if we all just bought retail hammocks, then we would wind up putting them out of business. We'll leave it at that before this thread digresses in to a political discussion on Hammock Manufacturing.

  3. #23
    OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Snipe WinterGnome
    Tarp
    TtTTG 12x10
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ, HG 3/4UQ
    Suspension
    stock
    Posts
    4,193
    Images
    129
    I was not trying to make this a political discussion. It never crossed my mind.
    I was just hoping someone a little more in the know would be willing to update the vendor lists.
    Sounds like dejoha may have done that. I'm off to try and find that post.
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Posts
    3,896
    Images
    17
    Without going too political I would like to take a stab at why it matters. My point is that there is an economic point that we should understand. The following is fairly accurate and unbiased AFAIK.

    We pay a lot of tax money to cover people who could be employed making products here that are imported instead because the people who order the merchandise decided it is better for them to make their products somewhere else so as to avoid paying US taxes and wages. The net result is our trade imbalance and a significant tax bite for welfare benefits. From a consumer standpoint we pay about the same price to the cottage vendors and the big names but the money stays here with the cottage vendors. We also get hit to make up "lost taxes" plus the additional welfare load.
    YMMV

    HYOH

    Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

  5. #25
    ggreaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kingston, ON Canada
    Hammock
    HH DJXL/DIY
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HHDB/Klymit/KAQ/IX
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutch
    Posts
    300
    Images
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbait View Post
    We'll leave it at that before this thread digresses in to a political discussion on Hammock Manufacturing.
    I realize you're a moderator and that it's a family site and friendly. However, let's not stifle friendly debate. If you don't think it belongs in this thread for whatever reason, I can start another one.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

  6. #26
    fishbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jamesburg, NJ
    Hammock
    Bias Weenie
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Mamba
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Posts
    2,601
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I was not trying to make this a political discussion. It never crossed my mind.
    I was just hoping someone a little more in the know would be willing to update the vendor lists.
    Sounds like dejoha may have done that. I'm off to try and find that post.
    The politics reference is more towards my post, I don't want my comments to become a political storm . I think dejoha's is the most recent. I don't remember if it's on the thread or in his book.

    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Without going too political I would like to take a stab at why it matters. My point is that there is an economic point that we should understand. The following is fairly accurate and unbiased AFAIK.

    We pay a lot of tax money to cover people who could be employed making products here that are imported instead because the people who order the merchandise decided it is better for them to make their products somewhere else so as to avoid paying US taxes and wages. The net result is our trade imbalance and a significant tax bite for welfare benefits. From a consumer standpoint we pay about the same price to the cottage vendors and the big names but the money stays here with the cottage vendors. We also get hit to make up "lost taxes" plus the additional welfare load.
    Well said. I also feel that just because it says made in America that it's a quality product. Trust me if I thought the thread would get out of hand it would have been closed. Our Cottage vendor's read the forums so any criticism whether good or bad is always helpful. You can't turn out a quality product if you don't get feed back.

    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    I realize you're a moderator and that it's a family site and friendly. However, let's not stifle friendly debate. If you don't think it belongs in this thread for whatever reason, I can start another one.
    I'm all for debates. Your post is perfect were it's at, no need to start a new one.

  7. #27
    OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Snipe WinterGnome
    Tarp
    TtTTG 12x10
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ, HG 3/4UQ
    Suspension
    stock
    Posts
    4,193
    Images
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    I realize you're a moderator and that it's a family site and friendly. However, let's not stifle friendly debate. If you don't think it belongs in this thread for whatever reason, I can start another one.
    Personally I don't care what your opinion is or who you buy from and you should not care about mine.

    Page 1 of this post is about the vendors that we buy from and where that gear is made.
    I revived this thread in hopes we could update that data.

    Earlier today I was doing some research on some of our vendors.
    I was using Bing and Google.
    Both search engines kept taking me right back to hammockforums posts like this one.
    So I thought hey, if the search engines are taking folks to our forum maybe we should
    offer some info that is a little more current than 2008 before Warbonnet even had a website.
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

  8. #28
    fishbait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jamesburg, NJ
    Hammock
    Bias Weenie
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Mamba
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Posts
    2,601
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Personally I don't care what your opinion is or who you buy from and you should not care about mine.

    Page 1 of this post is about the vendors that we buy from and where that gear is made.
    I revived this thread in hopes we could update that data.

    Earlier today I was doing some research on some of our vendors.
    I was using Bing and Google.
    Both search engines kept taking me right back to hammockforums posts like this one.
    So I thought hey, if the search engines are taking folks to our forum maybe we should
    offer some info that is a little more current than 2008 before Warbonnet even had a website.
    Found the list you are looking for, hope it helps

    https://www.hammockforums.net/articl...cturerlist.htm

  9. #29
    OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Snipe WinterGnome
    Tarp
    TtTTG 12x10
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ, HG 3/4UQ
    Suspension
    stock
    Posts
    4,193
    Images
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbait View Post
    Found the list you are looking for, hope it helps

    https://www.hammockforums.net/articl...cturerlist.htm
    Wow, that is more than I could have hoped for. Thank you.
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

  10. #30
    ggreaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kingston, ON Canada
    Hammock
    HH DJXL/DIY
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HHDB/Klymit/KAQ/IX
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutch
    Posts
    300
    Images
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Personally I don't care what your opinion is or who you buy from and you should not care about mine.
    So much for friendly
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •