Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    sleeping pad

How Big of a Tarp?

Hi Guys,

I'm very excited to be getting my first hammock!!! I got in on the travel hammock deal a few days ago, so soon I will have a Skeeter Beeter Pro! I've decided to sew a tarp. I think that I will make the first one rectangular. How big of a tarp do I need?

I have seen that the MacCat deluxe is very popular being about 10.8' x 8' . The Skeeter Beeter is 10.5' x 5'. I don't know how much sag that will equate to -- so I'm not sure how long it will be when it's hung. I was originally thinking a big tarp 10x12 but I realized that even the winter tarps are not that big, so I would be wasting weight. Help! Thanks!

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I love my wife's 10X12, it blocks everything and gives you a nice place to cook under and relax under. That said, I also like her 8X10 because it is lighter, but still provides plenty of coverage in a rain (never have tried it in a storm like the 10X12 though). Keep looking into it, and have fun. The great thing about making them yourself, is that you can always sew a new one

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    My vote goes to the 10x12. The SB Pro is a good size hammock & once you get several hangs under your belt if the tarp is too big you could make it smaller, give it cat cuts, or make another. Easier to go smaller than bigger or have two for a choice depending on the forecasted weather. Just remember no matter what you do we require pics!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps&dutch-clips
    I prefer the 10x11 or 10x12 tarps.
    Mostly because I want a place to sit outside of the hammock, but still under cover.

If you don't need any living space under the tarp, you could go much smaller.

Images
    I would wait and setup your hammock first. Then you will be able to get a good feel for the size of the tarp. I like the length of the tarp to be about a foot longer than the ridgeline, if it is a rectangular tarp. I like the extra coverage on the ends.

Then you need to decide if you want 1 tarp for everything, a summer and a winter tarp, and if you are going to hang in all seasons.

I have a large 12'x10' cat cut hex tarp for winter and very bad weather. I made it through some nasty weather in it. It is a lot wider than what I think I need, but nice to have. I recentally made a 11'x5' rect tarp for summer. Most of the time it will only be used to keep the dew off of me. This weekend I am taking it out for the second time. The first time when heavy rains are excepted (loaning out the big tarp for someone else to use). I think the smaller one is plenty big for rain protection. Site selection and pitch will take a huge role.

For winter I am going to make a Speer winter tarp. From all of my cold weather hangs, I think protection on the ends is needed. I usually use a hammock sock and my hex tarp. This winter I am going to try the Speer winter tarp and only a top weather cover to seal in the warm air to breath.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt

Speer

I love my Speer Winter Tarp.

I used it camping a few weeks ago.
    It stormed like nuts, and I just folded it down over myself like a warm cocoon.
    I love that thing!

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Thanks guys!! I will go for the 12x10 size. Now, off to sew --- Thanks again!

Images
    Yeah, my small tarp didn't hold up to an exposed ridge hang in a storm. Definitely not the smartest place to hang, but it was fun. In a vertical rain, I think it would work.

If you are on the fence, you made the right decision to go bigger. Extra coverage when you need it is worth any weight.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Yeah, build the biggest that you think you can get away with for the weight penalty you are willing to accept. When you are in the middle of a deluge, and have that extra dry space underneath your tarp, you will be much happier than stuck inside your hammock because that is all the tarp covers! Personally, my favorite is my 11 x 14, but that's overkill for most people.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Speer Winter
    Insulation
    KAQ - home made
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    A couple of questions not related to size, but tarp construction in general:

- Should one put a cat-cut on the ridge (albeit, a shallow one?) If not, why not?
    - Assuming one has chosen to use grosgrain ribbon at the perimeter: is one or the other preferable - nylon or polyester? Or is there even a difference in this application?