Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Senior Member fin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On the trail
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Posts
    2,498
    Images
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatibuck View Post
    A couple of questions not related to size, but tarp construction in general:

    - Should one put a cat-cut on the ridge (albeit, a shallow one?) If not, why not?
    - Assuming one has chosen to use grosgrain ribbon at the perimeter: is one or the other preferable - nylon or polyester? Or is there even a difference in this application?
    The best tarp design I've seen is either the Speer Winter Tarp, which Youngblood can verse you on, or this:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4364

    The Black Cat does have a slight cat cut from the ridge to the corner tie-out.

    Nylon has a little more stretch in this application, so might be slightly more forgiving, but if you use tarp tensioners, the grosgrain shouldn't matter. Again, I defer to Dave (Youngblood), as he is an expert on tarp design.

  2. #12
    neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    nashville,tennessee
    Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    4,156
    Images
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaCat View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I'm very excited to be getting my first hammock!!! I got in on the travel hammock deal a few days ago, so soon I will have a Skeeter Beeter Pro! I've decided to sew a tarp. I think that I will make the first one rectangular. How big of a tarp do I need?

    I have seen that the MacCat deluxe is very popular being about 10.8' x 8' . The Skeeter Beeter is 10.5' x 5'. I don't know how much sag that will equate to -- so I'm not sure how long it will be when it's hung. I was originally thinking a big tarp 10x12 but I realized that even the winter tarps are not that big, so I would be wasting weight. Help! Thanks!
    10 x 12 good size tarp.to much better than to little in real bad weather for sureneo
    the matrix has you

  3. #13
    neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    nashville,tennessee
    Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    4,156
    Images
    295
    my biggest tarp is a 10 x 13 claytorneo
    the matrix has you

  4. #14
    Member Buckeyebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toledo, OH area
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Speer Winter
    Insulation
    KAQ - home made
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Posts
    78
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    The best tarp design I've seen is either the Speer Winter Tarp, which Youngblood can verse you on, or this:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4364

    The Black Cat does have a slight cat cut from the ridge to the corner tie-out.

    Nylon has a little more stretch in this application, so might be slightly more forgiving, but if you use tarp tensioners, the grosgrain shouldn't matter. Again, I defer to Dave (Youngblood), as he is an expert on tarp design.
    Thanks for the feedback. I love to make my own stuff and want to "clone" the SWT. The BlackCat instructions don't seem to suggest a cat-cut on the ridge. I suspect it isn't necessary, but thought I'd ask the wise before cutting a bunch of silnyl to ribbons.

  5. #15
    Senior Member RAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    GA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps&dutch-clips
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    The best tarp design I've seen is either the Speer Winter Tarp . . . .

    Funny-- I just happen to have a practically brand new one of those for sale.

  6. #16
    Senior Member fin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On the trail
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Posts
    2,498
    Images
    208
    YOU DIDN'T SELL THAT YET? Wow! I'd have thought that would be gone by now. I'd buy it, if I didn't just buy my BMB, and am on the hook for a new DD in the group buy.

  7. #17
    Senior Member RAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    GA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps&dutch-clips
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    YOU DIDN'T SELL THAT YET? Wow! I'd have thought that would be gone by now. I'd buy it, if I didn't just buy my BMB, and am on the hook for a new DD in the group buy.
    I've had a couple of nibbles, but the last one didn't think that I had discounted this brand new tarp enough.

  8. #18
    Senior Member te-wa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    arizona
    Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Posts
    1,394
    Images
    129
    while its always my intention to go as light as possible (sometimes sub-5) I still understand the importance of keeping dry. I tested the maccat micro over a Travel UL in a quick 20 minute downpour- it was barely enough to keep me mostly dry in vertical rain. However the splashing about was still misting my hammock. Good thing I wasnt using a UQ or it would have been lightly wetted.
    So I got the Skeeter Beeter (not the pro) and purchased the Maccat Standard for that one, and it offers 6" more ridgeline per end, and a bit wider at the sides. Keep in mind that the cat cuts on the Maccat's are very pronounced, which saves weight but reduces side coverage. Overall tho I think the Maccat Standard works fine for 3 season when the SB is hung tightly under it.
    the micro is going to either be my fairweather tarp for falling debris or bird bombs... or it would work good as a small child's tarp. Definately not for the SB Pro.
    <-----btw, thats the micro over a claytor mosquito
    Last edited by te-wa; 06-23-2008 at 13:44.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Quoddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York/Vermont Border
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    395
    Images
    28
    I've been using the MacCat Deluxe. I keep thinking that it may be too wide, but it sure does off the opportunity to move around under it and cook, too. This past weekend I had it a bit higher than usual and also eventually used my hiking poles to form an awning on one side.

    See: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4840
    I my Warbonnet

  10. #20
    New Member Yaqui Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaCat View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I'm very excited to be getting my first hammock!!! I got in on the travel hammock deal a few days ago, so soon I will have a Skeeter Beeter Pro! I've decided to sew a tarp. I think that I will make the first one rectangular. How big of a tarp do I need?

    I have seen that the MacCat deluxe is very popular being about 10.8' x 8' . The Skeeter Beeter is 10.5' x 5'. I don't know how much sag that will equate to -- so I'm not sure how long it will be when it's hung. I was originally thinking a big tarp 10x12 but I realized that even the winter tarps are not that big, so I would be wasting weight. Help! Thanks!
    8X10 works fine, but I'm going to make a cant 8x12, just to give extra coverage to the high ends of the hammock. If I can figure out how, I'll insert a picture of my hammock, with Hammock Bliss mosquito net, under an 8X10 in the Quetico 2 weeks ago; rained 2 inches on us the first night, and I slept dry. All the others in tents got wet....I've never seen a tent yet (at least not one with a few nights on it) that had a dry floor after a really heavy rain. If you can afford the extra few ounzes in your weight budget, an 8X10 or an 8X12 is the way to go.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •