SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

My New Hennessy; Am I hanging right?

Hello. Just wanted to say how impressed I am with my new HH, but I have a few questions. Today I finally got the chance to hang it. I picked a spot under two sruce trees roughly six to eight feet apart and with about six feet of headroom. As I was tensioning the rope ends I noticed there was not a lot left on either end to move the prussic knots back and forth to tighten the rainfly. I guess this was due to the fact the trees may have not been far enough apart. On either side, the hammock hung at roughly thirty degrees and the ridgeline inside was neither tight nor slack.

I also noticed that the rainfly did not tighten flat, rather it had a droop in the middle. I figure this could have been due to the fact I could not use the prussic knots to tighten it properly. I had to actualy secure it with the mitten clips right to the rope ends where I tied my figure of eighths.

Anywho, I included some photos of the HH after it was hung. There are a couple that show the webbing and rope ends as they were hung from the trees. Hope someone can answer my questions, and hope you guys enjoy the pics.

FootEnd?.JPG
    I think this is the foot end
    HeadEnd?.JPG
    I think this is the head end
    HenMe.JPG
    Me laying in my new HH
    SpreadHam.JPG
    Shot of my HH opened up

Hammock
    HH Expedition + ukhammocks Woodsman
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF Mat
    Suspension
    HH Exp. stock
    Six to eight feet? Your pitch looks wider than that from the pics but you're right, that's still a bit narrow. Most people eyeball the distance based on the experience of a few nights hanging. For me it's about five big paces which is about 12-13 feet I guess. Those Hennessy tarps will sag a bit, especially when you get in. A lot of us use a separate ridge line for that and other reasons. It's cheap and easy to do, there are more than a few ways to do it and a search will pull them up. You look pretty comfy in the pics though so you are most of the way there, good luck with tweaking your setup.

Hammock
    HH Expedition + ukhammocks Woodsman
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF Mat
    Suspension
    HH Exp. stock
    BTW tie a small piece of white cord around the head end cord next time you set up. That way when you pull it out of the bag you'll immediately know which way around you are.

A larger separation between trees would definitely be better. Your 30deg angle looks more like 50deg in the photo. The internal ridgeline (holding up the netting) is drooping a little - ideally it should be taut. Thats no problem providing you find it comfortable.

If pitching on trees that close together, I think I would tie the tarp directly onto the tree. That would give a little more space to get the tarp taut.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    The Hennessy zip models don't really have a dedicated "foot end" and "head end"; as long as you lie with your left shoulder and right knee next to the tie outs, you're good. Personally, the way that you're lying in the photos is the way I lie in the "winter"; I like to throw the netting back to get a better view of the stars at night. During the other ten months of the year down here in FL, I lay the other way. I find that it's easier for me to enter and exit the hammock with the bug netting zipped up that way; the mosquitoes down here will drain you otherwise.

With that being said, I don't think those trees were as close as you think. That's about the same amount of sag as I shoot for with my Explorer UL (which has the same dimensions as your Explorer Deluxe), and my minimum distance for trees is about ten or eleven feet. Since my tarp is twelve feet long, I usually shoot for trees between thirteen and fifteen feet apart. I can go shorter than that, though it makes rigging the tarp...interesting...but I prefer not to if possible. I can also go longer than that, but I either have to string the hammock tight (which causes shoulder squeeze for me) or raise the attachment points above my head--which is a pain.

As for the tarp, I've not used the stock Hennessy diamond tarp (I have the Hennessy Hex), so this is all from information garnered here. There are two major approaches: one, attach the tarp to the hammock suspension as recommended; or two, attach the tarp directly to the trees. They both have benefits and drawbacks.

If you attach the tarp to the hammock suspension, it's going to sag in the middle when you enter the hammock; your body weight pulls down on the hammock, making the suspension lines draw closer together. A possible solution here is to use tarp guyline tensioners. A piece of elastic tubing or shock cord is placed into the guylines to take up slack, keeping the tarp taut to the hammock body--even if the middle sags. This keeps you covered fairly well even in driving rain, as long as you are broadside to the wind.

If you decide to attach the tarp to the trees independently of the hammock, you face the problem of the hammock sagging down with your weight in it, bringing the coverage of the tarp further away from you. Here, if you want good coverage from the minimalist diamond tarp, you'll need to hang it as close to the ridgeline as possible before entering the hammock. It might be possible to place a weight in the hammock (your pack?) to simulate it under load before pitching your tarp, allowing you to better gauge how far down the tarp will need to be strung.

I hope that some of this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the hammock; I have the same model, just with different fabric to make it lighter.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    As FLRider stated...there doesn't seem to be a specific head or foot end with the HH's zipper model. I've been told that it works fine laying either direction. With that said....HH makes the hammock so that name tag on the tieout, is always on the right side of the hammock. ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie

head or foot?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    BTW tie a small piece of white cord around the head end cord next time you set up. That way when you pull it out of the bag you'll immediately know which way around you are.
    I pulled some stitching from the corner and ran the foot end suspension through like a Bishop bag. worked great and no confusion anymore

Any tarp that is connected to the hammock suspension will sag when you get in. I tie it out by itself. (gets you out of the rain and keeps the hammock drywhen setting up/ talking down)
    Last edited by lattie11581; 03-26-2012 at 07:48. Reason: speelllinng
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Awesome. I figured I just needed a few more weeks of tweeking to find my setup. Thanks for all the great feedback, and I will definately start hanging my tarp independently with a separate ridgeline. Thanks!!!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    As mentioned earlier, give some thought to hanging your tarp seperately from the hammock. It helps you increase or decrease the distance between the hammock and the tarp...closer for poor weather, further away for nicer weather. It also makes it easier to keep any sag out of your tarp that could lead to a wet night.

Looks like you're comfortable, which is the key thing that we all strive after!

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    As FLRider stated...there doesn't seem to be a specific head or foot end with the HH's zipper model. I've been told that it works fine laying either direction. With that said....HH makes the hammock so that name tag on the tieout, is always on the right side of the hammock. ZQ
    I agree. I think if you want to be technical, Tom would tell you the zipper would be on your right side as you are laying in the hammock. (Which confused me when I received my firs Warbonnet)!
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast