DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    UCR SLS
    Images
    Welcome aboard jersey. I've been here over 2 years and still feel like a newbie at times. The buried loop was something I thought was new until it was pointed out that it was just a UCR. Working with some aging mental capacity here but visualizing the loop with constrictor around the SLS sounds great. My loops are fixed since I use the same hammock and don't need to adjust. I have found on my present hang, every night for 1 1/2 months, that the only 2 trees close to the RV are at my maximum span with the SLS and short of a step ladder I can't get the huggers high enough up the tree to keep my butt off the ground unless I sacrifice sag. My only option is to remove the buried loops and reposition to affect the sag. With your loops around the SLS adjustment would be simple. Thankfully my system is in constant flux and subject to be altered at any time. Will be looking at incorporating some of your idea.

Thanks for joining in with your ideas. This is what keeps the forum alive and growing.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

forces?!?!?

I'm new here and happen to be a rock climber from years past. I'm intruiged by the simplicity of these setups but worry about the forces involved. Anybody care to straighten me out on this? The following video is for reference.

Mule(different mule but that's what they call me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHrntrFDiWE
    Last edited by paddlemule; 11-01-2013 at 20:14. Reason: bad link

Hammock
    DIY 30d MARPAT
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod
    Suspension
    ISLS with UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by paddlemule View Post
    I'm new here and happen to be a rock climber from years past. I'm intruiged by the simplicity of these setups but worry about the forces involved. Anybody care to straighten me out on this? The following video is for reference.

I don't know what algorithm was used to create this calculator but it cannot account for the differences in angles created by the structural ridge line nor the distribution of loads through the multiple points of the hammock itself, which contains curves: http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/ It is probably a simple three-point vector description as you demonstrated in the video and would thus be conservative, which is good.

It's a certainty, though, that in hanging a hammock the forces are multiplied at angles shallower than about 30* -- one can feel the structural ridge line begin to tighten at that point, which means it is taking up load or "working" in terms of physics. So, a SLS forsakes fiddling with angles, assumes the line will bear the whole load, and overcomes forces by the brute strength of the line.

The distance between trees, their size, and placement are the greatest variables in the woods; so, suspension is the greatest challenge, especially if one is trying to achieve an UL pack weight.

In another thread fallkniven spoke of using prussics for a gear hammock.

This has caused me to re-think the SLS ... once again!

Mike

But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. (Luke 5:16 NIV)

He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 ESV)

While people are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. (1 Thessalonians 5:3 ESV)

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    cropdust myself
    Suspension
    straps n buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by paddlemule View Post

great video dude. thanks for sharing
    makes sense

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Ever evolving SLS
    Hello all. I've been checking out HF for a long time and have synthesized many of others' methods and suggestions into my own SLS. The system I use borrows heavily from HC4U and from BearChaser:
    1. Old seat belt tree hugger with marlinespike toggle at one end.
    2. 7/64 Amsteel spliced loop over marlinespike.
    3. Old seat belt tree hugger with marlinespike using a carabiner as a toggle at the other end.
    4. Suspension line looped back and forth a few times through carabiner and steel ring clove hitched to suspension; tied off with series of slippery half hitches.
    5. Two toggles marlinespiked a set distance apart acting as "stopper" knots.
    6. End channels of ENO DN gathered with long soft shackles; soft shackled directly to suspension line at marlinespike "stoppers."
    7. Tarp (DIY Tyvek) usually stays attached to suspension with prussiked shock cord.

A few questions for the community:
    1. Is there a better knot for the steel ring than a clove hitch? I've tried the several-turns-around-the-ring method, but it still slides when tightening the suspension. And the clove hitch is not as easily adjustable for distance between trees as my inherent laziness dictates.

2. How tight should the suspension line be before hanging the hammock? I know Amsteel is strong, but it still gives me pause when I can "twang" the ridgeline above my head like a guitar string. But with less tension, there seems to be a big difference between the unloaded and loaded height above ground.

3. Can anyone suggest a different method of hanging the hammock that might be more easily adjusted? I tried prusiks but they slip on the Amsteel (and one spot looks almost melted as a result). The toggled marlinespikes work well, but require that I first hang the suspension loosely, adjust and set the toggles, then tighten everything up, load the hammock, and retighten.

I've only been hammocking a short time so I don't consider my self well-hung , but I've been studying the posts like it was for a dissertation. It's actually nice to post, instead of simply consuming.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Ever evolving SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    So I just had a random thought about the SLS. Would it be possible to use a softshackle or a prussik to attach the hammock to the SLS, thereby doing away with the rings and their associated weight?

Assuming of course that you use cordage rated to handle the weight.

I'm sure this is probably a bad idea, just hoping someone smarter than me can tell me why.
    I don't know if it's a bad idea and never thought to ask. I'm new to this too and do use that method (at least until someone tells me I'm courting death to do so). I bought 60' of 7/64 Amsteel from ebay and used 30' for my suspension. The rest I've been playing with splicing. I made two 10" soft shackles and used them to replace the end-channel ropes (is that the right terminology?) in my ENO doublenest. I tied a couple of marlinespikes in the suspension to act as stoppers and soft-shackled directly to the suspension. Seemed to work in my yard...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    UCR SLS
    Images
    I've been using soft shackles for over a year with no problems. Two are used to attach the tree huggers back on itself and two are used to attach the hammock ends to the hammock suspensions. Here is the link to my version of a UCR/SLS. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nother-UCR-SLS At this point the only hardware I use are the four stakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.