Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Danville, VA
    Posts
    17

    So I got these cinch buckles

    ...and since we lost Nesty-Zachy-Cerebus at the attempted aquablaze I am not sure exactly how to affix them to my webbing. I figured a way to do it that requires sewing a section of webbing, but there must be an easier way than that. Any hellp would be greatly appreciated especially if the afformentioned "hellp" is accompanied with pictures for to satiate the visual stimulus nodes in my think-brain.

  2. #2
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    ...and since we lost Nesty-Zachy-Cerebus at the attempted aquablaze I am not sure exactly how to affix them to my webbing. I figured a way to do it that requires sewing a section of webbing, but there must be an easier way than that. Any hellp would be greatly appreciated especially if the afformentioned "hellp" is accompanied with pictures for to satiate the visual stimulus nodes in my think-brain.
    It sounds to me like you're trying to use webbing on both sides of the buckle.

    The standard schtick around here with the cinch buckles is that the side that you don't tighten (the one where you are thinking one would sew) is cord, attached to the buckle by something like a prussik. Said cord is normally on the hammock side of the buckle.

    Now (if I have the picture right) you have webbing from the hammock and separate webbing from the tree and you want to have a cinch buckle connect them. Would suggest you double up a bit of suspension quality cord in a loop, attach one end to the buckle using a prussik knot, and attach the other end to the hammock-side webbing using a sheetbend (using the doubled up cord as one strand).

    sorry no pictures, I'm just guessing at what you've got and what you could do with it.

    Grizz

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Danville, VA
    Posts
    17
    I've only got webbing going from the tree to the hammock. I'm working with an ENO single nest. I've got a loop in one end of the webbing (it came that way) and I run the loop end around the tree and pull the webbing through. Then I tie a slip knot in the carbiner on my eno loop, adjusting on either side until it hangs right. I want to move the beaner to the loop in my webbing so I can just run it around the tree and clip it onto the webbing as opposed to running the entire length of the webbing through the loop. Then use the cinch buckle to pull it taught.

    If I use a prusik... I can't see how the webbing would move to cinch it. Should I used dynema to attach the buckle?

  4. #4
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I've only got webbing going from the tree to the hammock. I'm working with an ENO single nest. I've got a loop in one end of the webbing (it came that way) and I run the loop end around the tree and pull the webbing through. Then I tie a slip knot in the carbiner on my eno loop, adjusting on either side until it hangs right. I want to move the beaner to the loop in my webbing so I can just run it around the tree and clip it onto the webbing as opposed to running the entire length of the webbing through the loop. Then use the cinch buckle to pull it taught.

    If I use a prusik... I can't see how the webbing would move to cinch it. Should I used dynema to attach the buckle?
    Here is an example of a cinch buckle attached to an ENO using dyneema.



    It is done by using a doubled up length of dyneema to tie a prussik to the buckle, running both of the free ends through the end channel of the hammock, then tieing both of the free ends (as if they were one) back to the standing end of the cord.
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Danville, VA
    Posts
    17

    kick ***...

    thanks!
    Now I can rig something up.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Danville, VA
    Posts
    17
    What type of knot is that closest to the hammock?

  7. #7
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    What type of knot is that closest to the hammock?
    It's a bowline knot. Again, the entire thing was tied using both loose ends as if a single strand.
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Danville, VA
    Posts
    17
    Got it.
    Thanks again.
    My Dyneema is 1000lb test, so the chord is pretty thin. I guess I should just attatch it to the existing spectra and then to the buckles. I think that would set my buckles on their side to match the webbing and won't put any twist in my hammock. Sweet, this will make my set-up significantly faster, which is good on late and/or rainy nights.

  9. #9
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    ok.
    I just had a look at the end of an ENO double. Assuming that the cord and biner on it are like yours, what I see at the end of the cord is a slip knot through which your biner slips. I undid the slip knot, took off the biner, and attached a cinch buckle using a lark's head.
    eno-cinch.jpg

    It would be better to use a prussik to keep the cinch buckle from twisting, but I don't know how to put one of those "in line". You could do a prussik by working out the whole cord from the channel, tie the prussik, and then restore the cord to the channel the way it had been before.

    Or untie the stock cord, and redo the way illustrated by AngrySparrow.

    Grizz

  10. #10
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    It would be better to use a prussik to keep the cinch buckle from twisting, but I don't know how to put one of those "in line". You could do a prussik by working out the whole cord from the channel, tie the prussik, and then restore the cord to the channel the way it had been before.

    Or untie the stock cord, and redo the way illustrated by AngrySparrow.
    As Grizz illustrates, there are any number of ways to go about accomplishing your goal. The simplest way (to my mind) seems to be to untie the stock cording and either replace or repurpose it to attach your buckle.

    Let us know how it works out for you.
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •