Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB BigMamaJamba
    Insulation
    Kick ass quilt:JBR
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE MSH
    thats how I stake out my hikin poles if I have no trees works great but like ya said aint as comfy
    Ty

Would you recommend using that material as a frequent-use groundsheest when bivying in a non-waterproof hammock?

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobsh View Post
    Would you recommend using that material as a frequent-use groundsheest when bivying in a non-waterproof hammock?
    As long as it's not bad weather - heavy rain/snow. etc. I've only had to use it a few times myself and it worked just fine. I met an English tourer on my first tour who used this method quite often on his trip across the USA - He wasn't allowed to hang in the State Parks or campgrounds. I usually carry a piece of cheap tarp with me if I have to go to ground.
    I did it in cold weather (this thread) but there was no rain or snow. My BlackBird hammock isn't waterproof, but I do also have a waterproof under cover I've recently made. It weighs less (about 7 ounces) than the tarp and comes up fairly high on the sides even when in "on the ground mode".
    Last edited by Lost_Biker; 03-07-2012 at 18:13. Reason: poor spelling
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Thanks for the info LB - slowly getting an idea of how to set up my first hang. However, don't you find condensation/sweat a problem in the waterproof undercover? That's one of the main reasons I want rid of my current ground setup.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobsh View Post
    Thanks for the info LB - slowly getting an idea of how to set up my first hang. However, don't you find condensation/sweat a problem in the waterproof undercover? That's one of the main reasons I want rid of my current ground setup.
    Only when it's hot - then I don't use the under cover. In the cold it acts as a windbreak and also as a splash guard. The top is open in the summer with just a bug net. If I have my top cover on I may have a little condensation from my breath moisture, but the condensation is always on the top cover, not my hammock. Lightweight breathable materials are great for top covers and socks. You can use a DWR (Durable Water Resistant) material for the bottom cover and it will still breath some. Body heat still gets trapped inside but it doesn't get stuffy inside. Good for 5-10 extra degrees.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12