DIY
    Tarp
    Cheap Camo Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Hammock designs

I want to build a hammock for myself, by myself.

Pardon me for asking this, but I'm quite new to hammocking - there are so many different hammock designs out there, that I'm confused. I know each one has it's own pro's and con's, but what is considered to be a good comfortable design to make? Lemme know if I'm opening a can of worms here. I've read as many posts as I can and It seems there are only really 2 designs, - gathered/knotted end and bridge hammocks. Is this correct?

I know a little about gathered end hammocks (it's what I have), but I'm a tall person 6' 2" and 250 in weight. I'm not concerned about ultralight. I am concerned about comfort. The bridge hammock looks interesting, but complicated. I'm unfortunately math challenged but very good in mechanics.
    Is it really as comfy as many claim? Is it easier to make than it seems? Lost_Biker say's he'll help me, but doesn't know much about bridge hammocks and I want to do as much on my own as possible. LB will help with the sewing by teaching me OJT style and correcting me after I make mistakes. He says something about seam rippers being your friend.

Thanks for any help you nice people can give me. Oh, and pictures help!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I find bridge hammocks very comfortable, more so than a gathered end hammock, PROVIDED I'm not trying to curl up. The walls of a bridge keep you from pulling your knees up.

Some people who shall remain unnamed (claiming the 5th amendent here) can make it look as though constructing a bridge hammock is complicated. What is more complicated than a gathered end hammock is the engineering, not the sewing. At the core, a bridge hammock is very simple as far as the sewing. Fabric cut shaped in a sort of hourglass, webbing rolled in along the edge and sewn down. Done! well, modulo a few details like endcaps.

A bridge hammock was the first sewing project I ever did.

There are a number of DIY bridge makers here that would be happy to advise if you go down this path.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cheap Camo Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Thanks GrizzlyAdams. I don't use the fetal position, but do sleep on my side. I've been looking at several designs here for the bridge, but have a question - how do you determine the width or how do you tailor the width for bigger people (like me)? Or is there a "universal" 1 size fits all design? Sorry for being so dense - I really like the bridge design. It just looks daunting to a beginner. I'm probably making it harder than it is.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Hey Don, don't let it get you down. GrizzlyAdams has a whole slew of videos, starting with part one here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=31986
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDon View Post
    Thanks GrizzlyAdams. I don't use the fetal position, but do sleep on my side. I've been looking at several designs here for the bridge, but have a question - how do you determine the width or how do you tailor the width for bigger people (like me)? Or is there a "universal" 1 size fits all design? Sorry for being so dense - I really like the bridge design. It just looks daunting to a beginner. I'm probably making it harder than it is.
    That is sort of like asking what sort of clothing will I like to wear. It is highly subjective.

Many folks seem to go with the "bigger is better" mentality to everything hammock related. Huge tarps, huge hammock bodies, etc. Some folks like to finesse the hammock design and get what they want out of it more, that is why you see bridge hammocks, hammocks with stretch sides, foot boxes, etc.

My best advice is to go simple and see what you like. My first project was straight off of Just Jeff's site: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

A piece of ripstop seconds from Wal-Mart that cost me about $7 total to make. 10'x60" and then I played with whipping, gathers, etc. From there I branched out. That first hammock did 800 miles of the AT with me with only a couple of minor changes. It is still in my basement somewhere.

Me personally, my current hammock is a 9' x 48" with a 12"x30" footbox and I like to try to go as ultralight as possible so it is less than 6 ounces without suspension. It is only slightly harder to sew than the first one I ever did.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDon View Post
    If I were to design one for someone your dimensions I'd aim for the narrowest bit to be 34 or 35 inches, work in a 7.5 inch depth of cut, makes 50 inches under the spreader bars, add 3" to account for rolling in 1/2" webbing. I typically add 6" to a person's height to get the finished length. Add about 1.5" to account for double rolling the edges at the ends.

So for you, I'd cut a piece that is 81.5" long, trim the width to 53". Find some what of etching a nice continuous curve that is 7.5" deep at the center on a long piece of wrapping paper. Fold the hammock in half longwise so the long edges are aligned. Pin the paper curve on the doubled edge, smooth the fabric out (I like to use big cans of soup to hold the fabric down, trace the curve, remove the curve template and pin the two sides together close to the sketched curve. Now when you cut it you get the same curve on both sides.

Or just trace and cut the curve on each side separately.

From here various other instructions on HF will take you where you want to be. You'll have a body good for 36" wide spreader bars, you can get using parts from questoutfitters. This is a comfortable hammock.

If the question is "How do you determine these numbers for a general person, not just me??" I ain't telling. Trade secret
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cheap Camo Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Thanks GrizzlyAdams and Sgt Rock.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    FWIW a few years back I got interested in trying a bridge hammock. I finally did and hated it. But others love it - I guess you need to try one before spending a lot of time and money trying to build one.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    A gathered end hammock can be constructed so quickly, easily and inexpensively that I'd suggest you start there. After using it, decide if you want to make a go at constructing a bridge as well.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    A gathered end hammock can be constructed so quickly, easily and inexpensively that I'd suggest you start there. After using it, decide if you want to make a go at constructing a bridge as well.
    I much prefer a gathered end hammock a opposed to a bridge...

• + New Posts