Hammock
    DH Night Hawk
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Doors
    Insulation
    HG 0F Incubator
    Suspension
    15'+12' Becket

Does the ENO Double Nest really sleep two people?

Does this hammock actually sleep two people?

My daughter has expressed an interest in hammock camping / backpacking, and so I ordered a Hennessy Scout for her (she's 8, stands nearly 5' tall). Anyway, now I'm thinking it would be cool if we could both sleep in the same hammock, but comfortably.

Does this hammock accommodate such a desire? Or is it just a really big hammock, and the "double" is a novelty for people who might swing double for a little while, but aren't actually insulating or trying to sleep?
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The ENO double is a nice sized hammock for 'napping' with two people, but I would not plan to sleep an entire night with two people in most any hammock, especially a child. One of the other members here (Hooch) has done that in an ENO with his son and likened it to 'sleeping in the dryer'. Truthfully, I find the ENO double to be a great sized hammock for one person to stretch out in on the diagonal.

If you want to 'be near' your child while hammock camping, a better option would be for each of you to have your own hammock and to set them up under one large tarp, perhaps sharing a tree for the head end. The child would then have her own space, but would be near for comfort and safety.

If you are really set on trying out one hammock for two people, though, take a look at the Ticket To The Moon 'King' sized hammock. It is even larger than the double.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Can 2 people sleep in a double hammock? Yes. Can 2 people sleep comfortably in a double hammock? Not really.

Angrysparrow gives some great advice.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I agree with Angrysparrow - two napping would work for short naps; two sleeping would be almost an oxymoron but I'm sure it could be done in a pinch. When using our DoubleNest for two people, it is usually used as a chair. We've had two laying in it to test it out but that didn't last more than a few minutes, literally. You both tend to go to the lowest spot and be pushed together. With an adult and an eight year old, you're likely to end up with her mostly squished between you and the side of the hammock or with her mostly on top of you. Not to mention that each time one of you moves, both of you feel it.

Another option is to use a single tree for the head ends so you seem to be close to each other. Of course, it's not always easy to find 3 trees that cooperate for this.

Setting up under a single tarp goes a long way to feeling close, too. I have done that several times with my son. Only trouble was I would be rocked when he moved (we were really close together) and he felt it was okay to wake Dad to help unzip his peapod style quilt whenever nature called. As you can imagine, nature called him more often and at different times than she called me! But at least I was able to help without even getting out of my hammock.

Images
    Yeah I agree. I had myself and one other in my ENO. It was comfortable for awhile. Not something I would want to sleep a lot in. Another thing to consider is you have to want to be really really close to the person you are sleeping with.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DH Night Hawk
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Doors
    Insulation
    HG 0F Incubator
    Suspension
    15'+12' Becket

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. I'll keep the "dual head tree" idea in mind; I've seen a couple of pictures of that and it seems to work out pretty well.
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    yeah, two sleeping in the double would be next to impossible to enjoy, unless you both swallowed some really strong sleeping pills.

i think i have a pic of two hammocks/ one tarp in my profile.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

one more in agreement

I just bought an ENO Doublenest and tried it out in my front yard and what the people above say is true. 2 people would not last a whole night in this hammock.

I bought it to get my dog in with me. It seems barely large enough for that and maybe not. A nice, flat diagonal lay uses up a lot of its space.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I just found this thread and wished I would have seen it at the time, but Genuine Draft and I were busy sleeping together in a Trek Light Double on the AT. Not only can it be done, it can be done very comfortably. Beyond great when it is cold out. We slept this way for at least a couple of weeks, maybe a month.

A co-worker sent this to me the other day; made me laugh.

Trust nobody!

Hammock
    MYOG w/ warbonnet-whipping
    Tarp
    MYOG hex
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    Images
    HAHA! cannibal, that made my day! and, saying this as redundantly as i can, two people in a hammock is GREAT--emphasis on GREAT-- for naps and lounging, but probably not for a full night... too much squirming to get comfy =)

... did i mention that it is GREAT for naps?!
    "The sea was angry that day, my friends! Like an old man... trying to send back soup at a deli!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast