Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I think I understand you. It is a little hard to get down in words what where talking about here.
    my goal is to mimic the original set-up as close as possible, trading the original webbing for Spyderline. I will set-up loose and allow it to compress the channel to its own point based on my weight, slack etc.

Almost sounds like the hammock has a "preference"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    One way I was thinking about doing it that I dont know I've read about before is to take a piece of rope/spyderline and run it through the channel. Then wrap the loose ends around the cinch buckle and tie off with a bowline at the cinch buckle. That I think would give the channel more play room.

EXACTLY!
    My theory is the channel needs to "reset" for each unique hang...

If true, the channel should have play room to "reset" between it hang and to adjust as tension, slack, etc changes each time... 2 closed loops, (channel and buckle/ring) wouldn't allow this "reset" hence less set-up flexibility.

Sounds good, heh?

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I dont see how the channel could have any "play room" no matter what the set up unless there is some type of spreader bar to keep the channel from closing upon loading. Even using the stock straps the channel will close when loaded and the material will bunch up in the "V" created by the straps. I've take my NO Net and replaced the stock straps with webbing and ring buckles. It hangs the same every time no matter what the set up.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alex30808 View Post
    I dont see how the channel could have any "play room" no matter what the set up unless there is some type of spreader bar to keep the channel from closing upon loading. Even using the stock straps the channel will close when loaded and the material will bunch up in the "V" created by the straps. I've take my NO Net and replaced the stock straps with webbing and ring buckles. It hangs the same every time no matter what the set up.
    Yep that the conclusion I came to. I sold my Claytor.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alex30808 View Post
    I need to pay some attention to this. When I first replaced my stock webbing ( first on a no net and then on a JH ), I was concerned with my method of attaching Spiderline thru the channels causing this "bunching up" of the channel. Also, I remember my impression from my first No Net hang was that the HH center ridge problem was non-existent. But later, I noticed that it was only less of a problem, but still a bit of a problem sometimes. Now I'm wondering if the suspension change had anything to do with this.

With the manufacturers suggested technique of hanging, it occurs to me that the webbing will leave the hammock on one side, go around the tree ( sometimes a thick tree), then come back to the hammock and attach to the bow line hat has been tied in the webbing. This would seem to hold the end of the hammock apart somewhat, potentially. IOW, the tree might serve as a bit of a spreader bar, especially if a larger tree and maybe if you are fairly close to the tree? As opposed to being pulled together as tight as possible, coming to a "point". in the case of only a single line coming back to the hammock from the tree.. This makes me wonder if this will effect the comfort in any way. I'll have to check that out.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I guess what I still can't grasp is if the attachment mechanism in the hammock channel is not structurally stable then it will all bunch up again, just maybe differently. I can visualize the webbing leaving the channel on one end around the tree and back to the hammock on the other end of the channel. But it would seem to still want to triangulate unless there is some sort of rigid structural piece between to the two ends of the channel. The farther away from the support you get, the more the triangulation would occur. In which case you could not have any kind of consistency in your set up because everything would depend on your distance from the supports and the diameter of the supports.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    without benefit of observed data, it seems to me that wherever there is load on the body of the hammock, that will pull the material in towards the hammock along the webbing, causing bunching. Won't get that on the sides, but will get that in the middle. The only thing that keeps fabric from bunching up to a single mathematical point at the bottom of the loop is the density of the fabric itself---and that's not much to resist the load of human pulling down on the hammock body. Can't see that anything will happen except that the fabric bunches as tightly as it can in the apex of that V, and what happens with the cord beyond that bunching is entirely immaterial.

makes me think that there's not much you can do to affect the lay of the hammock, although the argument admits for something like the flopiness of the sides being affected, potentially.

my $0.05 for the day! (slow day...)

Grizz

Images
    I played around some this afternoon with this set up, and I couldn't tell much difference. I had the stock set up on the foot end, and a Spiderline/cinch buckle/webbing on the other. Both appeared to bunch up about the same amount. But this was wit the hammock stand, might be a little different close to a large tree. Or, might not.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12