Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    Can you sketch or elaborate on "outriger beams?" I am sorry I don't quite understand what you mean. Would these have to be bolted to the floor?
    This image is and end view of the stand. For a more detailed description, look at Risk's site. I hope there is enough there to convey the idea.

The central beam that Risk uses is moved to the end of the horizontal base and another matching beam is added to the other end of the base. It is not bolted to the floor. However you fasten the central beam to the base, just do that for the outrigger beams.
    Last edited by TiredFeet; 06-20-2008 at 19:19. Reason: trying to get pic to display

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    This image is and end view of the stand. For a more detailed description, look at Risk's site. I hope there is enough there to convey the idea.

The central beam that Risk uses is moved to the end of the horizontal base and another matching beam is added to the other end of the base. It is not bolted to the floor. However you fasten the central beam to the base, just do that for the outrigger beams.

I don't see a pic TF. I tried to get it to show up but it didn't work (on my end).
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I re-edited the post and it shows fine for me. It did before and does now that I have restored it to what I originally had. I could and can now click on the image in the post to display the gallery image.

It seems that the software has been changed in how it links to images in the gallery. The last time I linked to an image in the gallery, I simply copied the "BB image code" at the bottom of the image window in the gallery to the post and it displayed just fine.

Somebody seems to have changed the BB image code and how images are displayed in posts. If I remember correctly, before the BB image code simply wrapped "image" tags around the gallery location. Now it seems they have gotten very fancy and use "url" tags as well.

I think the old method worked fine. Not too sure why things were changed.

Here's what happens if I copy the BB image code from the gallery image:

here's what happens if I delete the"url tags"

both images show for me, but the first allows me to click on the image to display the gallery image.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Alternatively, I only have 2 images in the gallery so you could just click on my gallery images to see theimage.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    As designed by Risk, it has a central beam on the floor, but it is a simple matter to replace the central beam with 2 outrigger beams to keep the floor under the hammock free of obstructions.
    Alright. I now totally get it, thanks for the drawing TiredFeet. However, I would really rather not have anything running along the floor, if possible.

All this planning around the board running along the floor has me thinking, why bother? That board is not going to get in your way. I guess I can just imagine falling on it would be quite painful, but then you shouldn't be falling out of the hammock anyway! That probably explains why 99% of the hammock stands are versions of the same design--it works! That said, I think the Hammaka Bow Arch is much nicer looking, and since I was going to put it in the bedroom, that is why it appealed to me.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Boy I really like the looks of that stand it is pleasing to the eye and would look good with any of my bedroom stuff. That might be what I ask for xmas this year.

Great find

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    My favorite hammock stand when it comes to looks is the Hammaka Bow Arch: http://www.hammocks.com/cart/iso.cfm...A021&img=inuse It is a very unique stand, and I would like to use one in my bedroom. However, it is $500! So, I am interested in a DIY version, and would like to recieve some input on it...

The stand is made of curved wood. I am assuming this requires a process that I am incapable of. Am I right?

If so, couldn't I just make a version that is multiple straight boards, instead of the curved boards?

Images

using the photo above, clean and shape the design.....more "A" Angle to it, etc... start with a couple of 1 X 12's then laminate them with a central layer of 1/4 inch plywood. lay out an Arch, cut it out with a jig saw, and then put the arches together like the road barrier..that avoids the compound angles required on the Hammaka Arch...

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    Do you know any welders. That design would be simple to make with piping and still maintain its decorative value.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Do you know any welders. That design would be simple to make with piping and still maintain its decorative value.
    Now that's an idea, but it would be hard to move in and out of the house...but what if....Look for an old Trampolene on ebay or Craigslist...use the curved sections to form two arches that meet at the top of the arch and have the welder weld them together....then the leg sections could be added or removed at will, making the Arch easier to dismantle to move it....

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    It could be held together with bolts/wing nuts or king pins for easy disassembly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast