Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 174
  1. #161
    L.D. Cakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Holston Mtn. Foothills
    Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Posts
    3,218
    Images
    81
    Well, I'm thinking of going to Calderwood for August to paddle in, camp up the creek, then do some hiking on the Slick Rock Tr to the waterfall or something. Prob wont go back to Santeetlah until Spring. Calderwood has cold water and the air temp is soooo nice when it's hot like this.
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

  2. #162
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Assym/Eno Single
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hex/Kelty
    Insulation
    Mummy bag for now.
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    101
    You must be pretty close to me then. Citico Creek has a few spots on the side where one can hang and it's got crystal clear water, reasonably warm, and some spots 30' down where you can snorkel with the fish.

  3. #163
    L.D. Cakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Holston Mtn. Foothills
    Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Posts
    3,218
    Images
    81
    If you like to snorkel, you'd prob like the big pool under the waterfall we found last year....

    http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3...34078328yZKoSL

    And...
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3...34078328fXvniO

    I'm in a great area, 3 hours away from the Smokies, 2 hours from Pisgah, 2 hours from the Grayson Highlands the other way. And best of all about 30 min from Roan Mtn. an hour from Linville Gorge.
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

  4. #164
    Senior Member Ewker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Old Hickory, Tn
    Hammock
    Henry Shires Tarp Tent
    Tarp
    with a tent?
    Insulation
    Helium down bag
    Posts
    4,119
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    I'm in a great area, 3 hours away from the Smokies, 2 hours from Pisgah, 2 hours from the Grayson Highlands the other way. And best of all about 30 min from Roan Mtn. an hour from Linville Gorge.
    you suck
    There are times that the only way you can do something is alone that waiting on the convenience of others means that a lot of opportunities will pass you by
    Spirit Walker

    Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool. ― Mark Twain

    Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

  5. #165
    deerfu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Smyrna,Ga.
    Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Well, I'm thinking of going to Calderwood for August to paddle in, camp up the creek, then do some hiking on the Slick Rock Tr to the waterfall or something. Prob wont go back to Santeetlah until Spring. Calderwood has cold water and the air temp is soooo nice when it's hot like this.
    Cakes if you can put this together before the last week in August I'd love to go since I missed the last one. My boat has only been on the water one time this year That clear water would be an awesome place to snorkel

  6. #166
    L.D. Cakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Holston Mtn. Foothills
    Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Posts
    3,218
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by deerfu View Post
    Cakes if you can put this together before the last week in August I'd love to go since I missed the last one. My boat has only been on the water one time this year That clear water would be an awesome place to snorkel
    OK, A couple of us were already looking at Labor Day weekend. Is that too late for you?
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

  7. #167
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Assym/Eno Single
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hex/Kelty
    Insulation
    Mummy bag for now.
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    101
    That looks like an awesome place to snorkel! Alas, I need to have my dive tanks Hydro/VIP'd but it's been a while. Camping gear takes the place of scuba gear!

    Where was that taken???

  8. #168
    L.D. Cakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Holston Mtn. Foothills
    Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Posts
    3,218
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    That looks like an awesome place to snorkel! Alas, I need to have my dive tanks Hydro/VIP'd but it's been a while. Camping gear takes the place of scuba gear!

    Where was that taken???
    Slick Rock Creek trail in the Joyce Kilmer/Slick Rock Wilderness about 2 miles in from the Caulderwood lake end. Its on the map as Lower Falls if I recall correctly.
    We hiked in after paddling up into the creek as far as we could from the lake and that made it a shorter hike. So if you hike in from the road add a couple more miles. We hung right along the mouth of the creek and at night when they turned on the generators at the dam the fog rolled in like air conditioning! That's why I like going in August.
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

  9. #169
    deerfu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Smyrna,Ga.
    Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    OK, A couple of us were already looking at Labor Day weekend. Is that too late for you?
    I will be in Cape SanBlas Fla, the 25th through the first kayakin/snorkeling/camping/scalloping. I might be able to sqeeze another trip in if I get back a day early I'll certainly be ready for that cool night air

  10. #170
    deerfu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Smyrna,Ga.
    Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Posts
    522
    Looks like I just tied another 3 days in August up.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=56106
    This will be a good weekday trip if any of you paddlers can break away. Not trying to hijack you cakes just passing the info

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •