Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    jons4real's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berks county Pa
    Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Posts
    1,374
    Man what I would give for a clear trap that didn't cost $300 . Go for the clear for sure
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

    http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

  2. #22
    2Tall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Woodstock, Va
    Hammock
    11'ers DiY's, Darien U.L, WB Trvler
    Tarp
    HG4S, WB Asym
    Insulation
    HG Custom, W Mamba
    Suspension
    DGlyde, Dutch
    Posts
    811
    It came today!! Its more grey/silver than anything. Still plenty of light comes in. Tried to attach it to the ridgeline and guylines outside moments ago and it like to beat me to death. Was a calm day till I pulled it out then nice sustained winds .... Hahah. Pics to come...try to get out on the trail this week.
    Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken!

  3. #23
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,049
    Images
    1
    I got mine today - I think it's black. The "see-throughness" is overrated. I can see shapes through it, and I'm sure I could see the moon at night, but I doubt I'll be identifying constellations. And as for privacy - when you are changing clothes I don't think anyone will be able to tell that you got a bikini wax right before hitting the trail.

    I set it up with the tarp under the ridgeline. I wasn't really able to get a tight enough pitch, but this was my first try and it was windy in my back yard (it is always windy in my back yard). I have a couple of days to putz with it before I take it out on the AT trail this weekend. I spent most of my time today just introducing myself to the tarp, fondling it, whispering sweet nothings in its ear, and staring at it with love. My dog felt seriously neglected.

  4. #24
    2Tall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Woodstock, Va
    Hammock
    11'ers DiY's, Darien U.L, WB Trvler
    Tarp
    HG4S, WB Asym
    Insulation
    HG Custom, W Mamba
    Suspension
    DGlyde, Dutch
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I got mine today - I think it's black. The "see-throughness" is overrated. I can see shapes through it, and I'm sure I could see the moon at night, but I doubt I'll be identifying constellations. And as for privacy - when you are changing clothes I don't think anyone will be able to tell that you got a bikini wax right before hitting the trail.

    I set it up with the tarp under the ridgeline. I wasn't really able to get a tight enough pitch, but this was my first try and it was windy in my back yard (it is always windy in my back yard). I have a couple of days to putz with it before I take it out on the AT trail this weekend. I spent most of my time today just introducing myself to the tarp, fondling it, whispering sweet nothings in its ear, and staring at it with love. My dog felt seriously neglected.
    Lmbo! Thats exactly what I did. Mine like to beat me to death in the wind. I agree with privacy observations. Mine is strung across my living room for all to see or random oogling. :-)
    Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken!

  5. #25
    Fronkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grass Valley, Ca
    Hammock
    DIY "The Crippler"
    Tarp
    "Cuben Refugee"
    Insulation
    DIY "The Ex-gf"
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    5,089
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Mine has a 10' (instead of the 11') cat cut ridgeline and I'll be testing the ridgeline under the tarp. I did go with cat cut sides. One other custom bit I did was had small "ties" to contain my doors when they are not in use so I would not have to keep up with mini clips like Shug uses.
    I got the cat cut ridgeline too. The small ties is a good idea for the doors. Wish I would have done that. lol Looking forward to seeing the pics of your tarp.

    Fronkey

  6. #26
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,049
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I got the cat cut ridgeline too. The small ties is a good idea for the doors. Wish I would have done that. lol Looking forward to seeing the pics of your tarp.
    Fronkey
    Fronkey, are you hanging the tarp over the ridgeline? If so, what purpose does the cat cut serve in that configuration? I'm under the impression that a cat cut ridgeline would work better with tarp under ridgeline, but I could be mistaken.

  7. #27
    Acer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern Indiana Wooded Hills
    Hammock
    WBRR, BMBH UL, Diy M90 MR Gathered
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4/Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/UGQ/TeWa
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutch Bling
    Posts
    3,808
    Images
    14
    I chatted with Adam via email,,and wanting a 12 long cuben, square cut, not cat cut, with doors, and he said he do one like that. I wanted alittle more coverage for the Snipe 11' long hammock and going to pull the trigger on it,,don't really care what color it comes in. If you want a wider tarp,,why couldn't you just order some cuben material and tape a extra foot on each side.? wouldn't taping it make it as strong as they tape the ridgeline?? Or would the side tieouts stress a tape job? And I am just asking as I am very pleased with the 8.5 width.

  8. #28
    Fronkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grass Valley, Ca
    Hammock
    DIY "The Crippler"
    Tarp
    "Cuben Refugee"
    Insulation
    DIY "The Ex-gf"
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    5,089
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Fronkey, are you hanging the tarp over the ridgeline? If so, what purpose does the cat cut serve in that configuration? I'm under the impression that a cat cut ridgeline would work better with tarp under ridgeline, but I could be mistaken.
    I don't use a continuous ridgeline but one on each end using double tarp flies.

    Fronkey

  9. #29
    Acer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern Indiana Wooded Hills
    Hammock
    WBRR, BMBH UL, Diy M90 MR Gathered
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4/Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx/UGQ/TeWa
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutch Bling
    Posts
    3,808
    Images
    14
    After many decisons, and studying what you guys did,,I ordered a 4 season off Adam but 12' long RL to cover my 11' snipe alittle more,,and I told Adam in a email just to surprise me with the color. Now my wait begins for a tarp in cuben

  10. #30
    Member soulsurvivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    danville, il
    Hammock
    modded grand trunk sb pro
    Tarp
    cammo 8' x 10'
    Suspension
    woopie
    Posts
    95
    you could pack both a clear and a black for the same weight as 1 of my silnylon. or a corner of my old camo poly. has anyone added viewing windows? black tarp, black doors an silver trim. 2 triangular skylights on either side of my hammock and a door window in clear. maybe a black tie-backable fly over each skylight. my dream tarp. ya... i said tie-backable.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •