Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member perdidochas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    pensacola, FL
    Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Posts
    246

    Amsteel "fuzzing"

    I've made a few attempts at splicing 1/8" Amsteel. The last succeeded, but I seem to have a lot of problem with the amsteel fibers "fuzzing" where I cut strands for the taper.

    Any suggestions as to how to reduce that?

    Do you do the taper after the splice, and then pull back?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    East Sussex, UK
    Posts
    105
    I cut the taper with a sharp knife & wrap with Scotch tape

  3. #3
    Senior Member dammfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Slayton, MN
    Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Posts
    470
    Images
    6
    Do you mean on the exposed end of your WHoopie, The end you pull to make it shorter? I am going to assume that is what you mean because the other end is buried. You need to do a backsplice which makes a nice clean end.

  4. #4
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    5,355
    Images
    57
    Tapering before burying makes getting the end through the bury easier. You can always splice, then trim your taper a little and then pull it back. It helps to have a really sharp knife to make a cleaner cut. If the tapered ends are fuzzy then buried I find some fuzz makes its way through the braiding but its only aesthetics.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  5. #5
    Senior Member perdidochas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    pensacola, FL
    Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    Do you mean on the exposed end of your WHoopie, The end you pull to make it shorter? I am going to assume that is what you mean because the other end is buried. You need to do a backsplice which makes a nice clean end.
    I'm not making whoopies. I'm trying to learn to splice with an end-splice (one end of my SRL), and then my next goal is to make two continuous loops (to attach between my hammock and my ring buckles).

  6. #6
    Senior Member perdidochas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    pensacola, FL
    Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post
    I cut the taper with a sharp knife & wrap with Scotch tape
    Thanks, I think that's what I need.

  7. #7
    Senior Member perdidochas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    pensacola, FL
    Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Tapering before burying makes getting the end through the bury easier. You can always splice, then trim your taper a little and then pull it back. It helps to have a really sharp knife to make a cleaner cut. If the tapered ends are fuzzy then buried I find some fuzz makes its way through the braiding but its only aesthetics.
    Thanks. I think a sharper knife will help. The problem wasn't at the end, the problem of fuzzing occurred while I was pulling the taper through.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •