Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

WBBB for Summer?

Any of you southern boys and girls out there camp in a WBBB in the summer?
    I watched a youtube review of the WBBB and the one comment that got me thinking was how hot he felt inside the Blackbird.
    The sides of the hammock do come up very high, so much so that it appears you cant even see out. May not be the best choice for hot summers in Florida???
    My ENO DN is nice and wide but the sides dont come up as far as the BB. Is the Traveler and WB bug net a better choice for summer than the Blackbird?
    I feel like I may like the Traveler w/ net better than my Eno and Eno net. Would like to get the Blackbird with built in net but dont want a hammock with "walls" of material up the sides to block any possible air circulation.
    Sound off Florida Crackers.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Only having put my WBBB 1.7 SL up in my backyard, I'm no expert. BUT it was 77 degrees and I was not the least bit warm or stuffy feeling. Actually the coolest part on me was my underside when the breeze would touch the hammock. Need input from someone who really knows, but I don't see myself getting any hotter than just the ridiculously hot Florida summer weather.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm a yankee, but I've spent alot of time in the south (4 years in NC), and hung as far south as the Smokies in July. I'm a furnace when it comes to sleeping, but I've never felt the my DL BB was "hot". The bug netting reduces airflow somewhat, but there's no getting around that unless you enjoy being eaten alive.

The sides do come up relativley high on the BB, but if you leave the tieouts disconnected, you can peek out without raising your head. If the bug net is unzipped, it;s not a problem.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    Enos Double Nest
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Lol... your probably right Rachel...I was born and raised here so you think after 44 summers I would be used to it by now but there is just no getting used to 98 degrees with 90% humidity and no wind.
    I really want the WBBB just because of all the goodies like the webbing suspension, the shelf, built in netting, footbox, ect... but not being able to wake up in the morning and look over the side at a river or lake that Im camping on... I might just have to stay with the Eno DN with Eno net. I have not used it for summer camping yet.
    Mike after about April down here you cant be in the woods without mosquito netting at dusk and dawn. The mosquito after all is the State bird of Florida.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp
    Insulation
    Modified DD UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Pick one up and if it isn't a fit you won't have any trouble unloading it here. I picked up a 1.7 SL last week. And I was so impressed I just snagged a 1.1 DL. My buddy says I'm obsessed like a drunk to the bottle and says he's gonna have to have my wife parent protect me from the forum, but he's still a ground dwelling neophyte that just needs to see the light!

You will probably love it! I've spent some hot and muggy nights in both a single and double layer Hennessy and was more comfortable than I'd have been in any tent.

Just my two cents...
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    UnderGround
    Suspension
    Stock :)
    I've tried my BB in hot weather and it's okay if there's a good breeze. If there's little to no wind, it can get really hot! I've had to abort sleeping out because it was so hot I couldn't get comfortable. If it's 98 degrees with 90% humidity and no wind, I'm not even trying!

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    If you're going to use a net anyway you can't go wrong with the bb. I have 2 and also have 2 eno dn's and would much rather be in the bb than the dn with the net. When it's really hot and muggy I have 2 fans that I occasionally use (1-light,1 w/ more battery for car camping). I also have a hh ed and would still rather sleep in the bb. The no-see-um mesh restricts airflow on any hammock but the trade off is worth it's weight in gold (or blood) here in the south.

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    I've tried my BB in hot weather and it's okay if there's a good breeze. If there's little to no wind, it can get really hot! I've had to abort sleeping out because it was so hot I couldn't get comfortable. If it's 98 degrees with 90% humidity and no wind, I'm not even trying!
    With those conditions; temps and humidity, you will only be finding comfort under an air conditioner ...

Hammock
    Enos Double Nest
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Those are daytime temps. It is probably low to mid 70's at night. You know I saw a guy that was camping in central America somewhere and had a small fan hanging from his ridgeline and thought that was a great idea. i may see how early season goes with the Enos and think hard on a BB. If its really bad I can just take a dip in the river and jump straight in the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast