Hammock
    Eno Doublenest + Eureka chrysalis
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Eureka Chrysalis - further anatomy

Somebody asked me to give a more detailed view of what the chrysalis hammock looks like. So I decided to make a sketch (in sketchup ) showing what the chrysalis hammock really looks like. I wanted to make that sketch anyway, so I could design a decent waterproof sling to put my down UQ into.

So, since I made them anyway, I decided I might as well share it too, perhaps some improvements can come from it.

If you need even more measurements, I suggest you visit Ber's thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=chrysalis

I think he actually already made an improved version of it, which you can see here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=40253
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=40718

I was also very confused about what the head and foot-end was and ended up switching them around if you read up in Ber's thread. Apparently, the wider fabric piece in the hammock, is the footend. And the shorter fabric piece the head end. Sorry about that.

So without further ado, here come the sketches, hope they're of some use to somebody:
    General anatomy:

Measurements 1, inches:

Measurements 1, cm:

Measurements 2, inches:

Measurements 2, cm:

Storage area, inches:

Storage area, cm:

Disclaimer: These are by no means 100% accurate, but only as accurate as I could measure them. Also the storage area is how i would make it, it by no means reflects how Eureka might do it. And on a final note: Please do not abuse these sketches! I only put these sketches up to show my gratitude towards this forum in having helped me so much already with the abundance of information I was able to get from here. This is my way to give a little back and my only intent by sharing these is that these can be used to be improved upon by individuals and creativity will continue to blossom.

EDIT: I just saw I forgot to draw in the spreader bars altogether. If anybody is wondering, the spreader bars are almost in the middle of the panels that are closest to the storage areas. They're a tad of center going a bit more towards the storage area itself.

Btw, if anybody wants to send me accurate measurements of the newer chrysalis hammock, I'm more than willing to make a sketchup sketch of that one too, so we can see how they compare.
    Last edited by kreecher; 02-20-2012 at 08:56.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I had always figured the Chrysalis was an odd shape but never new for sure. Thanks Kreecher, you got my DIY flaring up.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    @Jazilla - I got a PM from someone that did a DIY chrysalis purely on the shape of this thing. So he took the outside measurements, put it on a one piece fabric, cut it out and used the cut-out as his hammock. It was apparently a huge fail and not comfortable at all. I guess the panels, the extra stretch they seem to provide and the slight differences in 4 of them do make a major difference in comfort.

I'd still really like to get my hands on the measurements of the newer chrysalis hammock though. Very interested how it would compare.

Let me know if you're going to diy one. I'd love to hear about your results.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    The new one doesn't have different panels sewn together in the bottom, it's all one piece. Much more comfortable also.

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    danalex, do you have one? If so, could you be persuaded to take detailed measurements of it so I can make a sketch of that one too?

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Sure, you want me to measure the same way you did or just every 12"

Hammock
    Insulation
    WL UQ+Bag4Chrysals
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Well I measured the way I measured because of the panels it has. It just seemed the most logical way to tackle it and pretty much the only way to show what it really looks like.

If you think measuring every 12inches will give enough accuracy for me to reproduce it in sketchup, then you can do it that way. I really wonder how much difference there is between the two (old & new). Especially now I know of someone who made one out of one piece of fabric, based on the measurements I gave of the old paneled one and he said it wasn't comfy at all.

Thanks for helping out, really appreciate it!

Hammock
    TW Camo Hornet Super XL
    Tarp
    "DIY" Frankentarp
    Insulation
    Exped DM 7 LW
    Suspension
    Webbing
    [QUOTE=kreecher;663869]

I was also very confused about what the head and foot-end was and ended up switching them around if you read up in Ber's thread. Apparently, the wider fabric piece in the hammock, is the footend. And the shorter fabric piece the head end. Sorry about that. (endquote)

Nope, the head-end is the wider one. In the 2011-model (my kidbrother has one, I got the 2010) there´s even a little tag on the wider end that says "head". Otherwise, the campersleeve wont fit properly over the hammock. It´s doable, but it gets a bit tight in one end since you need to consider the vents have to be over your head, and not your feet. I know this from personal experience..

Cheers / Mix

Hammock
    TW Camo Hornet Super XL
    Tarp
    "DIY" Frankentarp
    Insulation
    Exped DM 7 LW
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I might have f'd it up there, it does seem as if the fabric is wider in the foot-end. I thought you were talking about the spreaderbars, and I got carried away

But I actually tinkered a bit with the bars today, I've taken another 2" off now and that was the ticket..! Now, the head n foot-end bars are equal in length, and it feels soo much better in my neck. And consequently, it made my hips more level with my head and feet, which has been my biggest issue so far. The sideways banana-lay worried me alot, and today when I switched places of the bars, it was chrystal-clear what had to be done. So I cut it, for a total of 4" shorter than original.

/ Mix

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    The stepped sides always intrigued me because the bridge hammocks on the forum are all cat curves. I broke down and read the chrysalis patent info and it states that the scalloping along the sides changes the tension and support at key areas like the lumbar and knees. I had suspected this was the case.

It's a very interesting hammock and I wish they were available in the US and inexpensive, just so I could play around with one and see how I like it.
    Ed
    Ed

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast