Grand Trunk Parachute Double

Well, I found the GT double today for $50 on Amazon. Looks like the construction is about the same as my ENO doubles, but about a foot longer - like my Kammock. Ordered one. We'll see how it fares against the ENO after I swap out the ends for whoopies...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I own the ENO DN and the Grand Trunk double and there is not that much difference between the two. The ENO fabric feels a little silker that the GT but that is about it IMO. I did change the suspension on both of them.
    Merchants Mill Pond SP Swamp Hang

www.neusioktrail.org ..................... Free Hammock Classes

Hammock Gear Time Line ..............Hammock Friendly Sites in NC

I am 18 with 42 years of experience.

Hammock Hangers...taking over the world..2 trees at a time !

Warbonnet BB 1.7 and a whole lot of other great gear from the vendors on HF

Wasn't the GT about a foot longer?

Hammock
    GT double parachute
    I'm new to this forum, just bought the GT double as my first camping hammock. I have some great hammocks from Venezuela not made to be haul camping...

So I would like to know what I should do about suspensions and tree straps since I'm not so please with the ropes that came with the hammock.

I'm cruising around the forum, learned a lot, I'm a bit overwhelmed since I want to get myself a kit for camping overnight in my hammock, but this must happen slowly, right now I'm camping in tent with my young family. I found great (cheap) ideas I can use for now and upgrade with time and money. From now on, I'll have a great place to take a nap and I'm sure the kids will love to swing in my hammock.

I'm planning an overnight trip with a friend (no kids) just as an excuse to equip myself . I'm from Québec, Canada and it is pretty cold here even in the middle of summer months.

Any other advice will be welcome.

Anikipou

Hammock
    DIY "Magna-Hammock"
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    Well, I found the GT double today for $50 on Amazon. Looks like the construction is about the same as my ENO doubles, but about a foot longer - like my Kammock. Ordered one. We'll see how it fares against the ENO after I swap out the ends for whoopies...
    Man, I must have gotten an abbreviated Kammock. Love the width in the double, but mine is about 9 ft long I believe. I know it isn't 10.5 as I have seen in the description. No wonder it was dirt cheap!

NEver mind. Mine was made by Hammaka, not Kammock.

Quote Originally Posted by anikipou View Post
    I'm new to this forum, just bought the GT double as my first camping hammock.

So I would like to know what I should do about suspensions and tree straps since I'm not so please with the ropes that came with the hammock.

Anikipou
    Welcome to HFs.

A couple of quick fixes. Swap out the end loops on the GT with a pass through whoopie. It will lighten it up a bunch. Use poly straps for around the trees (not nylon - which stretches). Look at some ENO rigs & my ENOs in my gallery for an example. Get a good 20* UQ for up there, maybe a 0* if you plan on more than 3 seasons.

You can get the whoopies & poly rope from several vendors including here:

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ts/show/945363
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1099697
    http://whoopieslings.com/

Hammock
    GT double parachute
    Thanks rodwolfy I'll look into that. I must say I was a bit afraid of whoopie slings but everybody here seems to love them, I'll just have to try them.

I don't plan on camping below 40, we are summer campers. So I think a 20° UQ must be plenty warm, anyway I'll go with my thermarest for a start. This year I'll start with the purchase of new suspension and maybe a new silnylon tarp. UQ will come later on.

Thank again for your help.
    Anikipou

30ish mother of a toddler boy, living in Montréal, QC, camping mostly in VT
    I've just got my first camping hammock a GT double and I'm planning on getting more gear with time since I'll have to camp mostly in tent for years to come.

For anyone interested, I posted some photos in my gallery of a GT Double conversion to whoopie slings...