Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    New Member Conr8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kalundborg, Denmark
    Hammock
    Hennessey Safari Deluxe Hammock
    Posts
    14

    Is this "Camo nylon" any good for main hammock?

    I really hope so, because I have already bought 10m for my hammock project
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mts-60-w...3&cmd=ViewItem
    If not, I'll still go ahead with the project though.

    It is coated with a "waterproof breathable PVC", but snooping around in this forum, I'm nut quite sure if that's good enough.

    Would it be wise to use a lighter end better coated material for the tarp?

    Best regards
    Conr8
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Conr8; 03-12-2012 at 05:54. Reason: Added picture

  2. #2
    Senior Member Corncob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Posts
    403
    Images
    3
    There are two things that immediately concern me when reading the description, weight and breathability.

    You want breathable material for your hammock or you'll wake up in a pool of sweat. One of the huge benefits of a hammock over a tent is that when it's hot out your back stays cool from the air passing under the hammock. I'm guessing the waterproofing on this one wouldn't be ideal for that.

    That's going to be pretty heavy for hammock and tarp material if you're planning on backpacking. Most fabrics used for hammocks and tarps weigh between 1.1 and 1.9 oz/sq yard. If you're car camping, it'll probably be okay for a tarp.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lubbock, Tx.
    Posts
    941
    Images
    3
    I guess the big question is how much do you weigh?

  4. #4
    tncamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brighton, TN
    Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
    There are two things that immediately concern me when reading the description, weight and breathability.

    You want breathable material for your hammock or you'll wake up in a pool of sweat. One of the huge benefits of a hammock over a tent is that when it's hot out your back stays cool from the air passing under the hammock. I'm guessing the waterproofing on this one wouldn't be ideal for that.

    That's going to be pretty heavy for hammock and tarp material if you're planning on backpacking. Most fabrics used for hammocks and tarps weigh between 1.1 and 1.9 oz/sq yard. If you're car camping, it'll probably be okay for a tarp.
    I agree. It would be fine for just laying around, but as far as camping is concerned, you want it to breath.
    It'll be alright Friday!


    Check us out at www.buttinasling.com
    HF members get a discount on most items. Use discount code "hfmember".

    We're now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!

    shane@buttinasling.com

  5. #5
    L.D. Cakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Holston Mtn. Foothills
    Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Posts
    3,218
    Images
    81
    That is as thick & heavy as upholstery fabric.
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

  6. #6
    Jazilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Carencro, Louisiana
    Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    1,994
    Images
    108
    Its a pretty thick denier if its 3 or 4 oz weight. A double layer would be super overkill. As for breathable, hold the fabric up to your mouth and try to suck air through it. Silnylon and coated tarps won't let air through. there are levels of breathable and even with a layer of non breathable material under you your not necessarily gonna be in sweat. Some folks use vapor barriers in there sleep system. If the material truly is not breathable you will have to vent well and pay more attention.

    If you can suck air through it I say go for a single layer. If it doesn't work you can always make it into a top cover or and under quilt protector. Its what I would do, good luck to you.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

  7. #7
    New Member Conr8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kalundborg, Denmark
    Hammock
    Hennessey Safari Deluxe Hammock
    Posts
    14
    Hmmm....
    Well, at least I can start experimenting with design and sewing. When I've becomed a skilled hammock-builder I'll just have to get something else.
    Well se how much of a problem the condensation will prove to be.
    I wonder if it's possible to "scrub" the coated side with a soft brush or something to make it more breathable. I'll post my findings

  8. #8
    Senior Member Corncob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Posts
    403
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Conr8 View Post
    Hmmm....
    Well, at least I can start experimenting with design and sewing. When I've becomed a skilled hammock-builder I'll just have to get something else.
    Well se how much of a problem the condensation will prove to be.
    I wonder if it's possible to "scrub" the coated side with a soft brush or something to make it more breathable. I'll post my findings
    I've heard you can take a knife/stick/sword/torch and make small holes through the fabric every inch or so to make it breathable. If you decide to listen to my horrible advice and do this for your hammock material, make sure you hang it extremely low and definitely have the camcorder rolling the first time you test it out so you can post the results on the forum

  9. #9
    Senior Member Corncob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Posts
    403
    Images
    3
    Seriously though, +1 on using it to figure out how to make things. I've almost ruined a few pieces of good fabric because I didn't make a prototype first and either had the measurements/cuts wrong or sewed it wrong the first time. Figure out what you're doing, exactly how you want things, and then use the nice materials

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lubbock, Tx.
    Posts
    941
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    I guess the big question is how much do you weigh?
    The reason that I was asking is because if you are a heavy guy (+200 pounds) this heavy fabric would be good for a hammock, since you would not have to double it up. If you were a lighter guy (-200 pounds) I think that it would be overkill to use such thick fabric.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •