WBBB 1.1, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    Adam Special
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix+Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Hey Toe, I saw 2Q's rig at the Mt. Rogers hang this past January. Very nice. Pics on his web site.

Home Run

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    I've been quite tempted with this one...sounds like it would solve my tension issue and the issue of 2-4 extra tieouts coming off my tarp just waiting to be fallen over
    Something else that's nice is that I no longer have to bundle up my tieouts. Without tensioners, I can simply roll them in with the tarp and pull the snakeskins down. I've never had a problem with tangled up lines either.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    and More!

"The difference between genius and stupidity is.... genius has its limits" - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Nite-Ize Adjustable Bungees?

I use the small (5mm) ones at every point of the tarp (6 of them) with tree straps for extra length on the ridge line pair...YMMV. Very adjustable and simple to use all around. Yes they are not ultra light and yes you need to take care not to over tighten but they do the job with little fuss.

Note; On motorcycles these ARE dual use items but I'd carry them if backpacking and figure out how to use them attaching stuff to my pack.
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I own several of the JRB tensioners but simply don't use them. Maybe I'm just not that fussy about having a taut pitch but I simply go without. More because it's simpler than because of the weight.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Nite-Ize Adjustable Bungees?

I use the small (5mm) ones at every point of the tarp (6 of them) with tree straps for extra length on the ridge line pair...YMMV. Very adjustable and simple to use all around. Yes they are not ultra light and yes you need to take care not to over tighten but they do the job with little fuss.

Note; On motorcycles these ARE dual use items but I'd carry them if backpacking and figure out how to use them attaching stuff to my pack.
    Now, there are unfair ways to comment on the weight of 6 of those Niteize bungees. After all, I used one myself last night in a rainstorm to quickly and adaptably close the foot ends of the tarp around the tree. But, 6 of them would weigh as much as a small lightweight tarp -- 10oz total -- but to be fair, that tarp would NOT include the weight of its lines and 6 more of the Niteize bungees.

(I'm lucky to be putting out 1/3 hp and sustaining 110RPM. LawDawg, Are you "'cycling" with 1600cc, hi-octane gas, a 12.5:1 compression ratio, 130hp.....and a trailer?)

Maybe everybody frosts the cake or explains not doing it at all, all without calculation of just how much tarp tensioning you need and how little you can get away with.

Example: Simpler to have the ridgeline on two tensioned lines at both trees than to attach six separate tensioners for six tie-outs at the ground, isn't it?*

All smilies implied.

*A little 6 gram pulley with 50lb test fishing line and a Dutch hook at one end pulls the ridgeline up. A Dutch hook at the other end of each line grabs a weight-- maybe a dirt-filled disposable grocery bag hanging off the ground. As the ridge-line sags during the night, the bag sinks toward the ground. Rain? The open bag of dirt gets heavier, doing more to offset the stretch in the nylon. A light system if the Dutch hooks are small enough.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 03-16-2012 at 21:47.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    But, 6 of them would weigh as much as a small lightweight tarp -- 10oz total --

(LawDawg, Are you "'cycling" with 1600cc, hi-octane gas, a 12.5:1 compression ratio, 130hp.....and a trailer?)
    Oh my, 10 entire oz!? What the heck was I thinking!?

798.00 ccm, high octane, 12.0:1 compression ratio, and 84.48 HP @ 7500 RPM...no trailer.

Two bungees per panier to secure the waterproof bags and two across the rear seat to secure the tarp in mesh tubes (plus trekking poles) etc. On the tarp; one at each of 4 corners and one at each end to secure the ridgeline.

*Were I wanting to cut weight it would be done by a Zing it ridgeline and four tie outs with zero bungees. Not to worry about things getting a bit loose or messing with marble bags.

All smilies actual.
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Thanks all for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I own several of the JRB tensioners but simply don't use them. Maybe I'm just not that fussy about having a taut pitch but I simply go without. More because it's simpler than because of the weight.
    This was the answer I was looking for.

Hope there are more out there that do the same and will chime in.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i've ditched my tensioners.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Something else that's nice is that I no longer have to bundle up my tieouts. Without tensioners, I can simply roll them in with the tarp and pull the snakeskins down. I've never had a problem with tangled up lines either.
    Do you really need to bring the poles down past the edges? I'm assuming yes, so that you don't have wear and tear on the tarp. That means I would have to have 8 of these poles (cutting the 8th down a bit) because I can't find any longer than 18" each. Are there any out there that are longer that would work?

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    To solve that issue, my tensioners still have the full strenght of the line (zing-it) and can be pulled as tight as I wish with no sag. The shock cord (shown in red) just takes up and slack as the tarp stretches. The loops are Alpine Butterfly knots. My shock cord is looped thru the loops and the shock cord ends are tied together with a double fisherman's knot to form a loop.

Attachment 33218
    +1 on this ....
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real